Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:40:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Kick Ass M100 Project  (Read 2719 times)
PeterChang (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 11:22:02 PM

Thanks for taking a look at this idea, my friends and I call this the Kick Ass M100 project! The idea is simple Smiley We purchase 1 Butterfly Labs MiniRig and divide out the MiniRig into 100 Shares, and we mine non-stop for 2 years.

http://kickasscolocation.com/ka100/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 02:25:02 AM

I'm betting that (i) less than 100 shares will be sold and/or (ii) the issuer runs away with the coins. PM me if you are interested,
strello

Activity: 234
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 02:33:51 AM

Seems legit!

It is futile to speak of liberty as long as economic slavery exists.

My GPG key
PeterChang (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 03:17:54 AM

I'm betting that (i) less than 100 shares will be sold and/or (ii) the issuer runs away with the coins. PM me if you are interested,

You know it's easy to criticize and it's hard to create Smiley We're going for it and I'm not going to run away with the coins. I've done my research and figured out how we can run profitably for 2 years.
PeterChang (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 03:19:32 AM

Lol, out of the 3 banners this one was the most fun and yes it's not super professional, but we wanted to make a splash and grab your attention Smiley
sal002

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2013, 03:38:04 AM

So - more details?  Like how to invest - how far along you are in the ASIC purchasing process, etc?
PeterChang (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 03:49:19 AM

So - more details?  Like how to invest - how far along you are in the ASIC purchasing process, etc?

Great question! We just launched the project this afternoon. We didn't launch this earlier as we were hoping that someone with a first month or second month MiniRig would offer up a contract like this one--it looks like all of the early order guys are keeping the MiniRigs for themselves. However, it might be that MiniRigs get built sooner or later so we'd thought that we'd give it the old college try Smiley

More details are on the FAQs page:
http://kickasscolocation.com/ka100/?page_id=2

To invest you'd go to the Products page on the website here's the link for your convince:
http://kickasscolocation.com/ka100/?page_id=5

The main page of http://kickasscolocation.com/ka100/ will be used to provide updates such as status of shares sold, and when we sold all of the shares the status of our MiniRig order will also be posted as well.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 04:04:18 AM

Why should we trust you? You joined a month ago.

Where is your OTC rating, what are your electricity costs, what you predict the difficulty to be, etc.

The fact is, you haven't placed an order yet, and if post-ASIC mining would still be profitable then EVERYONE is going to buy SCs until it is not profitable.

This is just a PMB.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 04:11:42 AM

Unfortunately for you, whether your intentions were good or not, BFL has priced their (currently non-existent) lower end units such that there is no need for people to throw in for a mini-rig. It would not make sense for someone to take on all the additional risk you're proposing vs directly buying a Little Single themselves. You don't even have a place in line. Sorry if that shattered your dreams.  Wink

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 04:19:40 AM

Unfortunately for you, whether your intentions were good or not, BFL has priced their (currently non-existent) lower end units such that there is no need for people to throw in for a mini-rig. It would not make sense for someone to take on all the additional risk you're proposing vs directly buying a Little Single themselves. You don't even have a place in line. Sorry if that shattered your dreams.  Wink

+1

Hey, at least you might be able to sell your domain name! Let's do some calculations:

1 share = $450
Mini Rig = 1,500 GH/s
1 share = 15 GH/s

Little single SC = $649
Little single SC = 30 GH/s

There's the electricity costs, but don't forget that you won't be able to sell your "share", and it only lasts for 2 years.
PeterChang (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 06:30:23 AM

Why should we trust you? You joined a month ago.

Where is your OTC rating, what are your electricity costs, what you predict the difficulty to be, etc.

The fact is, you haven't placed an order yet, and if post-ASIC mining would still be profitable then EVERYONE is going to buy SCs until it is not profitable.

This is just a PMB.

Yes, trust is difficult Smiley I've spent most of my time on the BFL forum since Nov, and some people would just give up rather than purchase an SC.
PeterChang (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 06:32:02 AM

It's great feedback Smiley I think some people wouldn't want to bother with the maintenance and admin of an ASIC unit.
PeterChang (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 06:35:34 AM

Unfortunately for you, whether your intentions were good or not, BFL has priced their (currently non-existent) lower end units such that there is no need for people to throw in for a mini-rig. It would not make sense for someone to take on all the additional risk you're proposing vs directly buying a Little Single themselves. You don't even have a place in line. Sorry if that shattered your dreams.  Wink

+1

Hey, at least you might be able to sell your domain name! Let's do some calculations:

1 share = $450
Mini Rig = 1,500 GH/s
1 share = 15 GH/s

Little single SC = $649

There's the electricity costs, but don't forget that you won't be able to sell your "share", and it only lasts for 2 years.

Actually if the MiniRig could be overclocked that number might be better Smiley Also, if BFL doesn't meet the unit target (actually I really hope that all of the unit targets are met) the smaller units might not perform as well. Another reason for going with a larger unit is that there's more hashing power and a greater chance of discovering new blocks. Admin and maintenance costs are factored in per share. After 2 years I'm sure that BFL will have better tech that we'll want to buy Smiley
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 06:44:19 AM

Thanks for taking a look at this idea, my friends and I call this the Kick Ass M100 project! The idea is simple Smiley We purchase 1 Butterfly Labs MiniRig and divide out the MiniRig into 100 Shares, and we mine non-stop for 2 years.

http://kickasscolocation.com/ka100/

The idea is pretty solid, but the execution is extremely poor. Peter, we have no idea who you are..and why are you selling "shares" in USD and not Bitcoins? Why in the world should we give you even 1 penny?

Other than a website, you haven't presented us with any details....which is a massive problem in the bitcoin community.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 06:57:21 AM

Unfortunately for you, whether your intentions were good or not, BFL has priced their (currently non-existent) lower end units such that there is no need for people to throw in for a mini-rig. It would not make sense for someone to take on all the additional risk you're proposing vs directly buying a Little Single themselves. You don't even have a place in line. Sorry if that shattered your dreams.  Wink

+1

1 share = $450
Mini Rig = 1,500 GH/s
1 share = 15 GH/s

Little single SC = $649

Actually if the MiniRig could be overclocked that number might be better Smiley Also, if BFL doesn't meet the unit target (actually I really hope that all of the unit targets are met) the smaller units might not perform as well. Another reason for going with a larger unit is that there's more hashing power and a greater chance of discovering new blocks. Admin and maintenance costs are factored in per share. After 2 years I'm sure that BFL will have better tech that we'll want to buy Smiley
If you've being doing your research on the overclockability you'd see that the Mini Rig has less overclock room than the smaller units. Plus, if BFL doesn't meet their unit target then it will be proportionally - say 80% for Jalapeno, 80% for Little single SC, 80% for mini rig..
PeterChang (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 07:00:47 AM

Thanks! My friends and I run a design studio in Minneapolis, MN. We're taking payments via BitPay, the shopping cart script doesn't have a denotation for Bitcoins, so a dollar amount is initially listed. When you pay it will be to be in Bitcoins. If you don't believe me, try adding the Share into the cart type in some bogus info, it'll at some point ask you for Bitcoins. BitPay was sent up so that I can also collect the email addresses and run the inventory of the remaining shares.

Once we hit a total of 100 Shares sold, we'll place an order with BFL and then start mining for a month. At the end-of-the-month totals are calculated then split into 100. Each owner of the share is contacted to ask for the wallet address and Bitcoin payments are sent out. Permanent wallets will work out the best. We'll do this for 2 years Smiley

During the  2 years we'll also post the monthly payout totals, stats of the MiniRig, pools that we have mined on, take votes when we hit crucial decisions regarding the MiniRig, etc...
PeterChang (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 07:04:10 AM

I'm also going by the past history of the FPGA MiniRig--which seemed much better than the other units Smiley
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 06:11:28 PM

Thanks! My friends and I run a design studio in Minneapolis, MN. We're taking payments via BitPay, the shopping cart script doesn't have a denotation for Bitcoins, so a dollar amount is initially listed. When you pay it will be to be in Bitcoins. If you don't believe me, try adding the Share into the cart type in some bogus info, it'll at some point ask you for Bitcoins. BitPay was sent up so that I can also collect the email addresses and run the inventory of the remaining shares.

Once we hit a total of 100 Shares sold, we'll place an order with BFL and then start mining for a month. At the end-of-the-month totals are calculated then split into 100. Each owner of the share is contacted to ask for the wallet address and Bitcoin payments are sent out. Permanent wallets will work out the best. We'll do this for 2 years Smiley

During the  2 years we'll also post the monthly payout totals, stats of the MiniRig, pools that we have mined on, take votes when we hit crucial decisions regarding the MiniRig, etc...

Ah, ok. I'm not trying to be rude / harsh or anything, but there are a bunch of little problems here (and in no particular order of importance):

1) There are already many other funds out there already doing this. Why choose you?
2) What happens if you only sell 10 shares? Detailed contingency plans go a long way..
3) Why are the shares $450 a piece and not $300? If you sold all 100 shares, what do you plan on doing with the extra $15,000?
4) Can we trade shares or are we locked in for 2 years? Most Bitcoiners tend to have a short attention span..they'll buy into hype and then lose interest a week later and wish to sell out. Liquidity is a big factor.
5) Are you a believer in transparency? If so, full disclosure of all company documents would probably be a good idea (business plan, financials, future network / profitability predictions, etc).

and finally

6) How profitable do you actually think you'll be? This sort of ties together the questions above.

This last one I ask because I'm getting the feeling you haven't quite done extensive research on where you think the network is going. I'm not saying you won't be profitable..the probability of breaking even and making a return on any ASIC device over the course of 2 years is pretty high..but rather how profitable. You're ability to explain this helps to show that a) you understand you won't get your mining device for many months, b) and at the time the difficulty will be "xx" because c) you took into account all existing preorders from all companies, on top of a presumed network growth rate...leading to d) predicted monthly dividend payments and a timeframe for when investors can see a return on their investment.

So far all I've gathered from this thread is:
"Hi, I want $45,000 (spread over 100 shares) to purchase a $30,000 Butterfly Labs Mini-Rig...once I'm mining with it I'll pay dividends every month for two years"

In short, that's not going to cut it. There is almost no benefit to the investor..especially when they have a number of other funds to choose from...funds that pay monthly dividends (regardless of mining or not) and will be getting their equipment much sooner than yours. Wink

Disclaimer: Not vouching for my own fund..just pointing out there are a number of other people out there that are working on the same thing.

PeterChang (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 11:30:18 PM

1) Free market capitalism is the best path to prosperity, and you can trust different vendors and choose different services. We're not for everybody.
2) If we sell less than 100 Shares we'll put it to a vote--refund or purchase smaller units, like a few SC Singles.
3) The extra money goes into maintenance and administrative fees. For example we'll have additional insurance for the MiniRig, and we'll have to pay a Use Tax in Minnesota for purchase of the MiniRig. Also we're paying for 2 years of colocation at our top notch data center. Everybody wants redundant power, redundant internet, 99.999999 uptime, etc.. those things don't come cheaply. After 2 years, it's nowhere near $15,000.
4) That's sort of insulting to Bitcoiners we feel that there should be a long term plan, and trading shares invites scams.
5) We feel that the MiniRig will be profitable for 2 years, and after 2 years it wouldn't be profitable. It's really that simple.
6) The goal is to double everybody's money.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 04:22:27 AM

No share trading shows you know nothing of what you are talking about. You can trade bets on prediction markets, treasury bonds can be brought back, people at even trading preorder positions especially for Avalon.

It might appeal to people (and issuers) who have no business trading, but this dramatically limits the liquidity (to 0) and reduces options like selling now and getting upfront returns.

Your last answer is the worst you can give. Go work out the difficulty after BFL and Avalon and ASICMINER fully ships, add 10x the amount of people who aren't preordering, and you are forgetting your order is last on the line.

This would actually be interesting if you have a very early mini rig preorder, but now it's a joke.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: