Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 07:43:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why takes so long to download block chain ?  (Read 2771 times)
digaran (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
May 07, 2016, 11:08:07 AM
Last edit: May 07, 2016, 10:20:27 PM by digaran

I couldn't find any answer so I post this, why takes so long to down load the bloody block chain with Bit coin Core?
I mean wtf? it just runs for hours and all it does is downloading 1k or 2k blocks have no internet problems and I only run the core client
Is there any command or doing anything to download block chain fast?

🖤😏
electronicash
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 1052

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2016, 11:11:58 AM

I couldn't find any answer so I post this, why takes so long to down load the bloody block chain with Bit coin Core?
I mean wtf? it just runs for hours and all it does is downloading 1k or 2k blocks have no internet problems and I only run the core client

its like downloading the whole ledger since time so it really would take that long.  that is why I don't use the core but multibit. i'm not sure what is with multibit but it doesn't take that long when updating/syncing. If you don't want to wait, you may wanna use the web wallet instead.

█▄       ▄                                            ████     ▐███▌                                                 
    ▐████▄ ▄██                                           █████     ████▌
    ▐█████████▌                                          █████     ████
▄▄▄▄▄███████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄                                   █████    █████                                 █████
  ▀█████▀▀  ▄██████████▄                   ████     ▄██████████████████████                             █████
    ▀▀  ▄▄██████████████                  █████     ██████████████████████                             ▄█████
    ▄██████▀██▀█████████     ▄██████   ▄██████████      ████     █████          ▄████████    ▄██████▄  █████  █████
    █████▀▀ ▀▀ ▀██████    ▄███████████ ███████████     ▐████     █████       ▄███████████  ██████████  ██████████████
    ███████ █ ██████    ▄█████▀ ▐█████  ▐█████         █████     █████      ▄██████▀ ████ █████▀  ▀██  ██████████████
    █████▄  ▄ ▄▄██████▌ ██████████████  ██████    ██████████████████████▄ ▄█████    █████ ████████     █████    █████
   ▐██████ ██ █████████ ████████████    █████▌    ▀██████████████████████ █████    ██████  ██████████ ▄████▀   ▄█████
   ████████████████████ ██████          █████          ████     █████     █████▄  ███████      ██████ █████    ██████
   ██████████████████    █████████████  ████████      ▄████    ▐████▌     ██████████████  ███████████ █████    █████
   ████████████████▀      ██████████     ███████▀     ████▀     ████▌      ████████▌ ███  ▀████████   █████    █████
|
  Bet on Future Blocks & Earn a Passive Income
         Supports Bitcoin, Ethereum, EOS and more!   
   🎰 Play Lottery
🎲 Play Dice
🍀Get Referral Bonus
    ▄████████▄
  █████▀█▀██████
 ████▄  ▄  ▀█████
██████▌ ▀▀▀ ▄████▌
██████▌ ███  ████▌
 ████      ▄▄████
  █████▄█▄█████▀
    ▀▀██████▀▀
    ▄▄███████▄
  ▄█████████████
 █████████▀ ▀▀███▄
▐███▌   ▀    ▐████
▐████        █████
 █████▀    ▄█████▀
  ▀█████████████
    ▀▀███████▀
   ▄▄███████▄▄
 ▄█████████████▄
▄████████▀▀   ███
████▀▀  ▄█▀  ████
██▄▄ ▄█▀     ████
▀█████      █████
 ▀████▄███▄ ███▀
    ▀███████▀
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2016, 01:36:59 PM

Blockchain is about 60 GB at the moment.
And its not only the downloading.. its indexing too.

digaran (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
May 07, 2016, 01:52:34 PM
Last edit: May 07, 2016, 10:20:59 PM by digaran

I know it's 60GB it says so in the start I'm not an idiot only I sent some coins from my online wallet to my core wallet address.
And I can't spend it at least not till my wallet is 100% synced with network, I wanted to know if there are any way to spend them and since I already downloaded 30GB not going just to drop Smiley

🖤😏
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
May 07, 2016, 03:05:48 PM

[size= 11pt][color=blue ]I know it's 60GB it says so in the start I'm not an idiot only I sent some coins from my online wallet to my core wallet address.
And I can't spend it at least not till my wallet is 100% synced with network, I wanted to know if there are any way to spend them and since I already downloaded 30GB not going just to drop Smiley[/color][/size]

download a light-wallet (I recommend electrum) and import/sweep the private key of your bitcoin address. then you'll be able to spend bitcoins without having to download the block chain.
Duomo

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 08, 2016, 12:27:54 AM

It took me over one day + for the entire block-chain to load on my computer. Downloading and waiting for about the 60GB+ of the Blockchain to be downloaded in a reasonable amount of time isn't just feasible. You should try to use a lite-client. My two favorite are Multi-Bit and Electrum.
FUBAR-BDHR

Activity: 702
Merit: 1000

★The Best Adult Video Chat Platform★

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2016, 06:12:38 AM

Downloading it doesn't take too long the issue is the CPU and hard drive usage of verify the blockchain.  This can take days on the first run.  To keep if from being necessary a second time I back up not only my wallet.dat but the entire bitcoin data directory.

trinaldao
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1218

Post your ann & bounty just contact me

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2016, 01:31:46 PM

why not you trying use torent ?
https://bitcointalk.org/bitcoin-0.12.1.torrent

if you have highest speed and unlimited bandwith im sure you can download it in some minutes ( you must use NASA network )   Cheesy

INVALID BBCODE: close of unopened tag in table (1)
cerebrus2016

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2016, 04:57:42 PM

[size= 11pt][color=blue ]I know it's 60GB it says so in the start I'm not an idiot only I sent some coins from my online wallet to my core wallet address.
And I can't spend it at least not till my wallet is 100% synced with network, I wanted to know if there are any way to spend them and since I already downloaded 30GB not going just to drop Smiley[/color][/size]

download a light-wallet (I recommend electrum) and import/sweep the private key of your bitcoin address. then you'll be able to spend bitcoins without having to download the block chain.

So if you sent bitcoins to your bitcoin core wallet you could just pull them into Electrum without the need for a full sync?

Thanks
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

hee-ho.

View Profile
May 08, 2016, 05:56:59 PM

So if you sent bitcoins to your bitcoin core wallet you could just pull them into Electrum without the need for a full sync?

Thanks

yes. or just don't use bitcoin core in the first place if you don't want to download 60GB+ of data.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 16915

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2016, 06:37:59 PM
Last edit: May 08, 2016, 08:32:14 PM by LoyceV

That's the client, not the blockchain.
I currently count 74 GB. It's not only the download, it's also "the other side" where the nodes have to give you the data. On a HDD it takes a lot of activity checking the data, on a SSD it will probably be faster. And it also eats CPU-power.
I imagine Bitcoin has been doing several transactions per second for the past 7 years. A HDD will have to re-check all these transactions, with an access time allowing a maximum of a few hundred per second. That makes it something you simply cannot do in a few hours, no matter what your internet speed is.
A SSD will be faster, but mine isn't even big enough for the whole blockchain.

cerebrus2016

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2016, 07:22:47 PM

Thanks

yes. or just don't use bitcoin core in the first place if you don't want to download 60GB+ of data.

That seems to have worked. Cheers. Is there any reason why it says [unconfirmed]? Please feel free to point me in the direction of newbie bitcoin tutorial apologies Smiley
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

hee-ho.

View Profile
May 08, 2016, 07:48:05 PM

Thanks

That seems to have worked. Cheers. Is there any reason why it says [unconfirmed]? Please feel free to point me in the direction of newbie bitcoin tutorial apologies Smiley

if you used the sweep feature on electrum, it means the transaction between the address which private keys you sweeped and your newly generated address are still unconfirmed.
sweeping transfers bitcoins to a new address. importing lets you use the old address (although it's not possible to import private key on standard electrum wallet.)

btw create a new thread if you have further questions. we're getting a bit off-topic here.
kzv
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1285

OpenTrade - Open Source Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2016, 07:56:27 PM

I know it's 60GB it says so in the start I'm not an idiot only I sent some coins from my online wallet to my core wallet address.
And I can't spend it at least not till my wallet is 100% synced with network, I wanted to know if there are any way to spend them and since I already downloaded 30GB not going just to drop Smiley

You can import private key to online wallet https://multicoins.org
Instructions how to get private key from Bitcoin Core:

click on 'help' in the menu bar (top right)
click on 'debug window'
select the 'console' tab
type: walletpassphrase "your walletpassphrase here" 600
type: dumpprivkey [your public key here]
this will return the private key, you can copy it now; ensure you clear your clipboard/history afterwards
type: walletlock

OpenTrade - Open Source Cryptocurrency Exchange
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 04:20:45 PM

if you have highest speed and unlimited bandwith im sure you can download it in some minutes ( you must use NASA network )   Cheesy

it's the same, using torrent will also require you a good amount of time to download 60 giga, unless he has a very fast connection

otherwise he only need a good cpu and a good ssd, which are very cheap nowadays
Turk Ace

Activity: 360
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2016, 01:31:08 AM

It's not really just the size its because it has to sync years and years of transactions so its a lot of work. Why not just use a webwallet for now ? I used one and it works just fine. You will be able to send or recieve btc right away.

Thanks

Unconfirmed is no reason for alarm. Its simply in the process of queueing your transaction with the miners on the blockchain. After the first confirm your amount will reflect, sometimes even before but you cannot spend until it confirms.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: