Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 04:54:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [OSX] BTCPrice Ticker for OSX Menu Bar  (Read 14018 times)
dgarrett (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 05:30:49 AM
Last edit: March 11, 2013, 12:50:09 AM by dgarrett

Hey everyone,

I've created a nice simple price ticker for Bitcoin that sits in the OSX menu bar.

https://i.imgur.com/RZrNQHh.png

Download: https://github.com/dgarrett/BTCPrice/raw/master/releases/BTCPrice_1_2.zip

Source: https://github.com/dgarrett/BTCPrice

It gets its data from Mt.Gox and allows for its automatic update interval to be set.
If you want to manually update its data, just click it. The data will be refreshed whenever the menu is opened.
You can also select which piece of data you want to be displayed in your menu bar.

Also, as a student I'd greatly appreciate tips if you find BTCPrice useful Smiley : 1Price4EGW8R59auccATvEwCFAhXYBML6V

And please let me know if you like it or have any suggestions.

Version 1.2:
  • Can now select any of 8 currencies (Thanks to oleganza - 1TipsuQ7CSqfQsjA9KU5jarSB1AnrVLLo )
  • Configurable font size
  • Using a better Mt.Gox data feed (Also thanks to oleganza)
Version 1.1:
  • Can configure number of decimals to display (currently truncates instead of rounding)
  • Can configure display label
Version 1.0:
  • Initial release
Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2013, 01:12:37 AM

Very nice!!! Something I'd find very useful indeed.

I'd happily donate a few $$$ but have a few small requests. One is a smaller font size, I want it as unobtrusive as my menumeters. Also I'm only interested in seeing 2 decimal places. The rest is a waste of space on my already packed menu bar.

Maybe if the font sized is fixed, then some way of customising the display so i can just have the number?

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
XertroV

Activity: 88
Merit: 12

Max Kaye

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2013, 01:16:24 AM

Tipped.

I like it, though it feels like there's a few too many decimals. Perhaps truncate it to 3 DPS?

Also, maybe change "Last:" to be the default.

Perhaps the option of not showing "Last/High/Low/etc" next to the price, and simply have the bitcoin logo? (Since we know what price to show as we select it)
Seal
Donator

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2013, 01:19:47 AM

Tipped.

I like it, though it feels like there's a few too many decimals. Perhaps truncate it to 3 DPS?

Also, maybe change "Last:" to be the default.

Perhaps the option of not showing "Last/High/Low/etc" next to the price, and simply have the bitcoin logo? (Since we know what price to show as we select it)

looks like we both said the same thing Tongue

Get on it dgarrett, and I'll happily send you enough for a coffee and a pack of chips Smiley

Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 01:26:22 AM

Nice app. Tipped.
dgarrett (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 09:50:39 AM

Thanks for the suggestions and donations (good motivation for adding more features Wink ).

My menu bar is plenty crowded already, so I agree on the size issue. I'll work on a way to configure the number of decimals. Configurable font size isn't quite as straightforward, so I'm not sure when that'll happen.

I'll also add an option to change what the displayed label is. And I'll add the option to show an arrow if the price has gone up or down since the last update.
Seal
Donator

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2013, 02:59:36 PM

Thanks for the suggestions and donations (good motivation for adding more features Wink ).

My menu bar is plenty crowded already, so I agree on the size issue. I'll work on a way to configure the number of decimals. Configurable font size isn't quite as straightforward, so I'm not sure when that'll happen.

I'll also add an option to change what the displayed label is. And I'll add the option to show an arrow if the price has gone up or down since the last update.

Nice work, changing the font size won't matter so much if we can customise the number of decimal places and the display label Smiley. I wouldn't mind a label that simply says: ฿31.32

World

Activity: 743
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 09:23:47 PM

Can I ask what is Avg and VWAP for?
btw nice app thx Tipped

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
dgarrett (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 11:56:15 PM

Can I ask what is Avg and VWAP for?
btw nice app thx Tipped

Avg is the daily average price.

VWAP is the volume-weighted average: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volume-weighted_average_price

And thanks for the tip.
dgarrett (OP)

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 02:05:33 AM

I made a bit of an update.

You can now configure how many decimal points to show.
For now, I'm just truncating (rounding down) the number instead of rounding normally. I figure people might prefer this so they can see when price milestones are actually passed. So you can set it to 0 decimals and see when each new dollar point is actually reached, instead of just when it gets rounded to the next dollar.

You can also disable the label next to the price, or change it to the ฿ symbol.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 04:00:03 AM

downloaded and donated!  nice work

paulie_w

Activity: 420

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 04:36:46 AM

finally! thanks!
paulie_w

Activity: 420

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 04:45:11 AM

+1 for ability to change the font size
Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 07:51:33 AM

Nice!
Seal
Donator

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2013, 03:30:57 PM

I made a bit of an update.

You can now configure how many decimal points to show.
For now, I'm just truncating (rounding down) the number instead of rounding normally. I figure people might prefer this so they can see when price milestones are actually passed. So you can set it to 0 decimals and see when each new dollar point is actually reached, instead of just when it gets rounded to the next dollar.

You can also disable the label next to the price, or change it to the ฿ symbol.

Legendary. Good work. ฿0.25 sent  Smiley

XertroV

Max Kaye

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2013, 09:45:09 AM

Thanks for these improvements dude, much nicer.

Tipped again Smiley
XertroV

Max Kaye

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2013, 09:49:48 AM

On the note of "if price has gone up or down since the last update" - I personally don't see the point of this (comparing updates to a single other) since someone selling BTC0.01 will change the "trend". If other's support the idea, then by all means go ahead, but I would find it more useful if it compared the behaviour of the market over an hour or more, which will start tapping into the actual trends of the market. Not sure how best to implement this in order to accurately reflect the 'trend', but it is food for thought, at least.
getbtc

Activity: 6

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 03:56:42 AM

Great idea, thanks man!
oleganza

Activity: 200
Merit: 104

Software design and user experience.

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2013, 12:39:13 PM

Thanks for the ticker! I've just added support for more currencies (I check prices in EUR)

Pull from here: https://github.com/oleganza/BTCPrice

Bitcoin analytics: blog.oleganza.com / 1TipsuQ7CSqfQsjA9KU5jarSB1AnrVLLo
dgarrett (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 01:18:42 PM

Thanks for the ticker! I've just added support for more currencies (I check prices in EUR)

Pull from here: https://github.com/oleganza/BTCPrice

Awesome. I actually just found that other Mt.Gox API, but you got to it before me. I'll check out the commit and get it merged soon. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: