Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:16:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S7 burnt probably  (Read 1184 times)
ocean666 (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2016, 07:24:07 AM

Last night severe voltage fluctuations possibly burned my antminer (at least that's what I think) no power nothing I'm using the APW-3 psu from bitmaintech. Does it have some sort of protection from damaging the antminer? How can I know if it's the PSU not the miner? Since it's voltage related I don't think it is covered under warranty. What should I do now? Can I repair it myself? (I have assembled PC in the past and I have that tech savvy in me) Because shipping it to them and back would cost a lot.
P. S. I have two of them and both refuse to turn on.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 08, 2016, 10:03:48 AM

I'd put my money on the PSU being dead, and the miner is fine.
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 08, 2016, 10:42:53 AM

Try another PSU that you know is good  Wink

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
ocean666 (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2016, 11:31:42 AM

It has 3 hashing boards right? I only have two PSUs (used with antminer s3) with 2 pcie each, if I connect 4 of them will it start?(3 to one hashing board and 4th near the front?) I'm scared about damaging it further.
Thanks for the help
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
May 08, 2016, 12:30:36 PM

It has 3 hashing boards right? I only have two PSUs (used with antminer s3) with 2 pcie each, if I connect 4 of them will it start?(3 to one hashing board and 4th near the front?) I'm scared about damaging it further.
Thanks for the help

Are you saying you have a total of 4 PCIe cables?   If I am seeing that right no do not connect 1 to each board.  I would only do it proper with 3 PCIe per board and one on controller.  And don't mix PSU's on one blade.

PSU you can test with a PSU tester, might be worth getting if you are going to be staying in mining.    With it you could test to make sure it's PSU is dead.   But please explain more of your plan it scares me reading if it truly is talking about 4 PCIe cables total.
ocean666 (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2016, 12:55:03 PM

Thanks for the help

Are you saying you have a total of 4 PCIe cables?   If I am seeing that right no do not connect 1 to each board.  I would only do it proper with 3 PCIe per board and one on controller.  And don't mix PSU's on one blade.

PSU you can test with a PSU tester, might be worth getting if you are going to be staying in mining.    With it you could test to make sure it's PSU is dead.   But please explain more of your plan it scares me reading if it truly is talking about 4 PCIe cables total.
Right. Those are the only working PSUs I have with me right now and they're from antminer s3.
And no, I entered mining late and met with so many misfortunes. I'm regretting my decision lately.
Update: I tested the APW-3 PSUs with the s3+ and I can confirm that the PSUs are dead.
Any way to know that the miner is fine? I really wanna see the green led glowing.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2016, 01:54:36 PM

Thanks for the help

Right. Those are the only working PSUs I have with me right now and they're from antminer s3.
And no, I entered mining late and met with so many misfortunes. I'm regretting my decision lately.
Update: I tested the APW-3 PSUs with the s3+ and I can confirm that the PSUs are dead.
Any way to know that the miner is fine? I really wanna see the green led glowing.

First off DO NOT use your S3 PSU's and try to run a S7 with 4 PCIe cables.  Just don't even go that direction or bad things will happen.  So that is the danger do not do.  

It sounds like you have already figured out PSU most likely with trying S3's with it.  The way to confirm your S7 is using another compatable PSU.   Most likely you are going to go with another APW-3.    Did you get the PSU direct from bitmain?  If so depending on purchase date might hit them up and see on RMA/Warranty.  But you will need to talk to them as I have no idea what it takes on PSU I have always had good luck with theirs.
ocean666 (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2016, 04:56:23 PM

Thanks for the help

First off DO NOT use your S3 PSU's and try to run a S7 with 4 PCIe cables.  Just don't even go that direction or bad things will happen.  So that is the danger do not do.  

It sounds like you have already figured out PSU most likely with trying S3's with it.  The way to confirm your S7 is using another compatable PSU.   Most likely you are going to go with another APW-3.    Did you get the PSU direct from bitmain?  If so depending on purchase date might hit them up and see on RMA/Warranty.  But you will need to talk to them as I have no idea what it takes on PSU I have always had good luck with theirs.
Yeah, their PSU is top notch ID say. It held up quite well with the voltage fluctuations here.
Okay and I wasn't being fully honest I guess. It was lightning I suppose lot of fans and two mobile chargers in my house have burnt. I'm surprised how lights haven't burned out.
Sending them a mail if that doesn't work I'll buy 2 PSUs.
Thanks for helping!
generalt
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1021

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 01:10:42 AM

I would just plug a PSU into the controller and none of the hashing boards to see if the controller lights up and the fans spin.

BTC: 1GENERALrtBAjEv2Ps5cmEW1FADnXh1bCZ
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 02:06:46 AM

I would just plug a PSU into the controller and none of the hashing boards to see if the controller lights up and the fans spin.

I feel like it was kinda a waste all of the help up above as full story only came out a post above yours:
Okay and I wasn't being fully honest I guess. It was lightning I suppose lot of fans and two mobile chargers in my house have burnt. I'm surprised how lights haven't burned out.

If his house's breaker did not flip and multiple items took lightning and burnt out, it's hard to say what all happened.  I would still get a proper PSU to test it.   But this is much more complex with real story coming out.
BTC_ISTANBUL

Activity: 331
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 15, 2016, 08:02:34 AM

Grounding is also very important.You must prefer high profile breakboards and emergency breakboards.If a short circuit occurs they cut the electricity off.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: