Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 11:00:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTS] 3 BFL Singles  (Read 2632 times)
RoboCoder

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

Save A Life, Adopt a Pet Today!

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2013, 02:28:12 PM

I hate this people, that's the reason newbies are not allowed to buy or sell a single BTC in this forum. Admins should take note and put something on the user you can see its a possible scammer, or a confirmed scammer.

I think more posts should be required before allowing access to other forums.  Not because it doesn't mean they are a scammer.. but because it gives you more to look at in their previous posts to give a possibly better indication of what they may be all about.

I did not think of doing this until AFTER i bought these 3 singles (yes i was the other idiot) - and after reading his posts i see that he said in one he was doing some bitcoin project then in another that he was getting out of it.  I probably would have been more cautious.  At least i paid with paypal (and i have opened a dispute to lock the funds - did it really quick after seing Bogarts post).

mitty

Activity: 359

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 02:42:49 PM

Sort of off topic but... does anyone actually get away with PayPal scamming?  I don't know anyone who wouldn't bother opening a dispute after being scammed out of >=$100, and it seems like PayPal always sides with the buyer.
dullmoment

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 02:54:18 PM

It appears that I was also an idiot.  He contacted me and said he had 7 for sale.  I bought 2 and planned to buy two more in a week or two.  I am new to bitcoin mining and it seemed the best route to getting started would be with BFL singles.  I can try my hand at it and if I enjoy it I can upgrade to the new ones.  So add me to the list of idiots…  I also opened a dispute and will make a claim on the 3rd.  Good Luck all. 

Also thanks Bogarts and RoboCoder for catching it so quick!
dullmoment

Activity: 73

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 03:02:58 PM

Sort of off topic but... does anyone actually get away with PayPal scamming?  I don't know anyone who wouldn't bother opening a dispute after being scammed out of >=$100, and it seems like PayPal always sides with the buyer.

I wonder about that as well.  It seems odd.  Maybe if they get the money out fast enough?  Does placing a dispute hold the funds?  I guess that is a question I need to ask paypal. 
RoboCoder

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2013, 03:06:36 PM

I have not seen anyone get away with it - of course i am sure it has been done.  My biggest concern was that i got the dispute in before the person could transfer to other accounts (i mean paypal - not bank) or purchase something digital etc..  But i also believe that if the seller is verified by paypal - i get my money back even if paypal isnt able to.

And of course i would rather not have to go through this at all.  Wouldn't it be nice if people could be taken at their word?  Just when i think we have this civilized thing down....
RoboCoder

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2013, 03:07:30 PM

I wonder about that as well.  It seems odd.  Maybe if they get the money out fast enough?  Does placing a dispute hold the funds?  I guess that is a question I need to ask paypal. 

Yes..  when you file a dispute - paypal will lock the funds away until it is resolved.  They do that to protect themselves from losing the money for those exact reasons.
bels

Activity: 109

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 03:36:42 PM

Yes..  when you file a dispute - paypal will lock the funds away until it is resolved.  They do that to protect themselves from losing the money for those exact reasons.

Thing is though if you get the money out of paypal quickly enough and then out of the bank account quickly you're in the clear as a scammer.  I say this because I've sold things and had funds held by paypal because of buyer fraud (stolen cc) and all that happens is you show a negative balance in paypal while the funds are held.  They don't take them out of the bank or anything unless you try to use your paypal.  So if you transfered out of paypal to your bank quickly and then took the money out of the account at the bank and then closed the account with the bank, you as the scammer got yours.  Paypal is screwed and eats the loss there.  In my situation since I had seller protection they had to eat the losses with the credit card fraud.

So this is why scammers do this, it's a nice loop hole if you move quick enough.

Selling computer hardware for BTC.  PM me and let me know what you are looking for.
Satisfied customers: Paraipan,Jack1Rip1BurnIt,psy,mb300sd,TheMan,BTCHero,SAC
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 11:49:48 PM

Escalated my dispute to a claim today (was not allowed to escalate until now).  No response from PP yet.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
mitty

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 01:09:17 AM

Escalated my dispute to a claim today (was not allowed to escalate until now).  No response from PP yet.
Escalated mine a couple days ago... PayPal returned my money a couple weeks after escalating last time I got scammed fyi.
sublime5447
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 01:30:20 AM

There are a ton of errors in this in regards to pay pal.

I used pp backed by a cc, which seemed safe.  Looks like I may find out just how safe. (this is pretty safe depends how you sent)

the guy is in Vietnam. Good luck (you should have used the 'unauthorized transaction' - less questions, faster money back...(depends how you sent. If you sent from home as a gift this will end the case in the sellers favor)

Sort of off topic but... does anyone actually get away with PayPal scamming? (yes  I have been scammed. nothing I could do to get the money back)

But i also believe that if the seller is verified by paypal - i get my money back even if paypal isnt able to. (depends how you sent)

you as the scammer got yours.  Paypal is screwed and eats the loss there. (depends how you sent)

Admins should take note and put something on the user you can see its a possible scammer, or a confirmed scammer.  They haven't but I started a post for pending and confirmed scammers. It is titled MASTER'S SCAMMER LIST

I would love to know who gets refunded and what was said.

Thanks
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 01:54:46 AM

What price did this guy offer?

If anyone is willing to sell for less than $700, that should smell of scammer...

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
mitty

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 04:21:19 AM

What price did this guy offer?

If anyone is willing to sell for less than $700, that should smell of scammer...
Not necessarily true; I think I paid $500/unit within the past month.
Of course there seems to be a recent shortage of BFL single sellers, haha.

Just make sure you either use PayPal (and are quick to file a claim as soon as seller stops responding/doesn't provide tracking), escrow, and/or make sure the seller takes pictures and can prove that they have a real item to sell to you.

Edit: Oh and the guy offered to sell at $400/unit.  I should have realized that it was incredibly fishy since I was offering to pay more than that in my WTB topic, but I was about to leave work and was like "holy shit, what a great deal, and he'll even take PayPal!".  Haha...
Bogart
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 06:50:54 AM

$400, wow.  I offered him $525 for one and he accepted.  It did seem a little low (I was expecting a counteroffer).  Not terribly low though.  Their trade-in value is only $599.

He sent me a paypal invoice, which in the notes says "1 bfl single", and it let me specify a shipping address when paying, so I guess it was a "goods" type invoice.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
sd

Activity: 730
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 08:48:23 AM

Come on people. If you don't use escrow you are going to be scammed. If you buy from someone with only 7 posts you are going to be scammed. If you buy something at well under the market price from someone you don't know you are going to be scammed.

How many hints do you need?

You crazy people throwing money around like it's confetti are the reason bitcointalk is jam-packed with scammers.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 01:27:48 PM

Come on people. If you don't use escrow you are going to be scammed. If you buy from someone with only 7 posts you are going to be scammed. If you buy something at well under the market price from someone you don't know you are going to be scammed.

You crazy people throwing money around like it's confetti are the reason bitcointalk is jam-packed with scammers.

Hurry hurry!

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
sublime5447
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 06:28:37 PM

Help me change it. If you see a scam post it to MASTER'S SCAMMER LIST.  Thanks
Bogart
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 02:38:12 AM

If you see a scam post it to MASTER'S SCAMMER LIST.

Link plz.  Maybe put the link in your sig...

mitty

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 08:15:48 PM

Just got my money back... thank you PayPal Smiley
Bogart
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 03:28:06 PM

Me too.

Quote from: PayPal
We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your
favor.

We were able to recover $525.00 USD and this amount has been credited to
you.  Please allow five business days for this adjustment to be posted.

If you are due any additional funds, we will make our best effort to
recover the balance from the seller.

If the seller's account has insufficient funds to complete the refund owed
to you, please be assured that we will take appropriate action against the
seller's account, which may include limitation of the seller's account
privileges.

RoboCoder

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 04:57:00 PM

Me too.

Quote from: PayPal
We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your
favor.

We were able to recover $525.00 USD and this amount has been credited to
you.  Please allow five business days for this adjustment to be posted.

If you are due any additional funds, we will make our best effort to
recover the balance from the seller.

If the seller's account has insufficient funds to complete the refund owed
to you, please be assured that we will take appropriate action against the
seller's account, which may include limitation of the seller's account
privileges.

Me Three!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: