Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:39:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Does it matter who created Bitcoin?
Yes - 5 (16.7%)
No - 25 (83.3%)
Don't know - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 30

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does finding out who created Bitcoin matter?  (Read 1943 times)
DonJoePabst (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 11:17:39 AM

Beyond the fact that the founder has 5% of all of Bitcoins in existence in his possession (in which case it doesn't really matter WHO has them, just that there is too high a concentration of the currency in one place), what difference does it make who created Bitcoin?

This article argues that all of the recent coverage creates an air of uncertainty that could undermine confidence in the currency (and highlights uncertainty in currency markets in general, but I'm not sure I agree: http://freemarketfx.com/bitcoin-reminder-uncertainty-currency-markets/

Thoughts?
Icathia

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 11:35:19 AM

That depends per person I think, for me it does not matter who the creator of Bitcoin is. I did not come and use Bitcoin because I like the creator but because I wanted to make money.
So I just do not care I only care about making money and the price. 
DonJoePabst (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 11:38:23 AM

I agree but there's an argument to be made that not knowing (or having conflicting reports) draws attention to Bitcoin's lack of transparency and the extremely complicated, hard-to-understand way in which it is mined/generated.
xuan87
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 11:40:04 AM

It depends, for user that played small part of bitcoin, it doesnt matter as long as it is usable and the price is good, but for investor and developer it is quite important to know who is the creator to develop the bitcoin further

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████████████████░░░░
░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░██████░
░░░░░░░██████░░░░░█░░░░░████████░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░░███░░░████░░███░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░██░██░████░░███░░█████░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░██░░█░███░░███░░██████░░
░░░░░░░░░███████░██░█░█░░░███░░██████░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░███░░░███░░░█████░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░██░░████░░░░░░██░░░██████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░████░░░░░██████░░░█████░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███░░░█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
▂▂ ▃▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ TeraWATT █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃▃ ▂▂
Global LED Adoption Through Blockchain Technology
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒『ICO IS LIVE』≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
WEBSITE』『WHITEPAPER
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
TWITTER』『TELEGRAM
knowhow

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 11:45:26 AM

Well the person behind bitcoin the creator wanna and till the moment still anonymous it would be good for all know who made bitcoin,but be sure that several countries will try to put  him into the jail as they dont wanna bitcoin on their countries and people are giving it a bad use soo in the end i hope he or her dont show off,the other big concern is the ammount of coins in possion that can hit the market easy.
Dissonance

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 11:45:30 AM

Bitcoin is open source and it works why would the identity of satoshi matter at all in their decision to buy or sell bitcoin?
DonJoePabst (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 11:57:06 AM

several countries will try to put  him into the jail as they dont wanna bitcoin on their countries and people are giving it a bad use

Could he/she really go to jail? Surely creating Bitcoin itself is not illegal, and they can't be held responsible if it is being used illegally?
catlove

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 11:59:22 AM

This whole incident was contradicting to begin with. Why would a guy who wants to live a normal life and avoid being noticed, come out to say "I am bitcoin creator, and I can proof it!" It just seems that he wants to create some commotion in the news in hope to spike up bitcoins price.
BellaBitBit

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 12:00:22 PM

No it does not matter if we find out who created bitcoin.  They have no intention of being found as it would distract from the technology. 

I love Bitcoin
DonJoePabst (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 12:07:30 PM

This whole incident was contradicting to begin with. Why would a guy who wants to live a normal life and avoid being noticed, come out to say "I am bitcoin creator, and I can proof it!" It just seems that he wants to create some commotion in the news in hope to spike up bitcoins price.

Would it really create a price spike though? Surely it's just as likely to create a dip?
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 12:11:21 PM

It shouldn't matter, but unfortunately it does since humans are hard wired to follow leaders, so they want to know who is the guy that started it all, and im sure they would listen to him a lot about how to make Bitcoin look like in the future, that's why we have a lot of people with interests to pass as Satoshi (the Craig hoax is a clear example)
DonJoePabst (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 12:43:45 PM

It shouldn't matter, but unfortunately it does since humans are hard wired to follow leaders, so they want to know who is the guy that started it all, and im sure they would listen to him a lot about how to make Bitcoin look like in the future, that's why we have a lot of people with interests to pass as Satoshi (the Craig hoax is a clear example)

That's a really interesting point about humans being hardwired to follow leaders, and I don't think Bitcoin (or any currency) would be best served by being shaped by any one individual.

On a separate note, how come everyone is so sure that there is no guy called Satoshi Nakamoto? How do we know he never existed, and - if he didn't - who are the photos allegedly of Satoshi actually of?
praprata

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 02:19:09 PM

It does not matter to me at least why would it matter to me? The reason I am here is still going to remain the same. For me the creator of Bitcoin can be a dog and I would still make use of it.

,╓▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄╓                 
            ╓▄█████████████████▄╖           
         ╓▄█████▀▀'▒,,,,,╠'▀▀█████▄,         
       ,▓███▀╜,▄▄███████████▄▄,╙▀████╖       
      ▄███▀ ▄█████▀▀"``╙"▀▀█████▄ ▀███▄     
     ▓███╜╓████▀ ,▄▄█████▄▄, ▀████,╙███▌     
    ▓███`╔███▀ ╓▓███▀▀▀▀▀████╖ ▀███@"███▌   
   ]███▌┌███▌ ▐███         ███▄ ▐███ ▐███,   
   ▐███ ▐███ .███           ███  ███▌ ███▌   
   ▐███ ▐███ '███           ███  ███▌ ███▌   
   ]███@╙███@ ▀██▌        ,▄██▌ ▐███ ▐███`   
    ▓███ ▐███▄ ╙██▀╩     9███╜ ╔███▀,███▌   
     ████,╙███▌               ▓███╜,████     
      ▀███▄ ▀╜                 ▀▀ ▄███▌     
       ╙████▄,                 ╓▄████╜       
         ╙█████▄▄╓,       ,╓▄▄█████▀         
            ▀▀█████████████████▀▀           
                '▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀'

CloakCoin |  Trustless Anonymous Cryptocurrency |  PoSA3
Forum | Bitcointalk | Twitter | Slack |  Facebook |  VK |  Reddit |  CloakTV |  Instagram |  IRC-Chat |  Faucet
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 02:31:44 PM

That's a really interesting point about humans being hardwired to follow leaders, and I don't think Bitcoin (or any currency) would be best served by being shaped by any one individual.

On a separate note, how come everyone is so sure that there is no guy called Satoshi Nakamoto? How do we know he never existed, and - if he didn't - who are the photos allegedly of Satoshi actually of?

No one knows if there was one single guy under the Satoshi Nakamoto moniker or if it was a team of people, and this team was called "Satoshi Nakamoto".

All those pictures are from either other people, or computer generated. I remember one of the few "satoshi pics" I saw was of an asian guy that looked like a computer generated face
7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 02:32:17 PM

To me it doesn't matter, but I am just worry about the safety of the real Satoshi. His safety is threatened by the fact that he holds the keys to a huge fortune... Let's stop play the "Finding Satoshi" game.
Junko
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 12:33:39 AM

Finding out who created Bitcoin does not matter to me. As long as it doesn't turn out to have been created by some government agency.
MingLee

Activity: 490
Merit: 520

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 12:40:16 AM

In my opinion, it does not matter and should not matter who created Bitcoin. They should be allowed to look upon their creation with pride, and see where it has gone, regardless of if we know who they are or not.

It is probably better from a political standpoint as well, as no-one will be able to corner the guy and get information on how Bitcoin works or get them to re-create the code (or develop a backdoor) in the event Bitcoin ever takes off. If they could have a normal life while having Bitcoin in the shadows, then that would probably be more rewarding than being paranoid about someone coming for you at any point, knowing who you are.
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 12:56:52 AM

I would like to know that myself. It could be the biggest mystery of 21th century. We will see about it in the following years tho.
What if we never know who was the creator of first real cryptocurrency? Was Satoshi a man, team, organisation or government cell?

I guess bitcoin market cares only about 1 Million bitcoin which Satoshi supposedly owns.
Rubberduckie
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 02:53:10 AM

I would rather it stay that we dont know.

Its more fun to speculate than to just know who it is.

especially if its a few of the morons people think it may be.

Sniper44

Activity: 714
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 02:54:13 AM

it doesn't matter at all, although it would have been nice to know who has created bitcoin in the first place but that would have been good back then in the beginning not now.

to the moon with bitcoin...
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: