Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:16:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What type of reg would you build for 120k?  (Read 2635 times)
ishare (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 08:31:22 PM

what type of rig would you guys build for 120k ?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 08:34:43 PM

A 3G mobile hotspot, a Raspberry Pi running as host and a single BFL Jalapeno all operating from the cigarette lighter in an Italian made sportscar.
Now that I think about it the first three components are optional.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3178
Merit: 4369

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 08:36:34 PM

lol

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 08:38:49 PM

Tough question. If I were contracted by a company with a 120 kUSD budget, I would either first look to acquire a company like Avalon or put the money in a bank account. Buying a rig now is pretty much a waste of money, as the ASICs will arrive far to late to be profitable.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 08:52:00 PM

A 3G mobile hotspot, a Raspberry Pi running as host and a single BFL Jalapeno all operating from the cigarette lighter in an Italian made sportscar.

I'll put that stuff in a design radio case for you for only 5k. "Box with fan" miner instead of Jalapeno is 1k cheaper but will be delivered earler. I can also talk to BFL, maybe they have one of the old asics with the thermal conduction problems so you can light a cigar.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
crashoveride54902

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

Dream become broken often

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 08:56:01 PM

just buy 120k in btc...wait til the end of the year when it's at 100usd and sell = profit Cheesy

Dreams of cyprto solving everything is slowly slipping away...Replaced by scams/hacks Sad
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 09:46:37 PM

just buy 120k in btc...wait til the end of the year when it's at 100usd and sell = profit Cheesy
You can't guarantee that that will happen. In fact, you run a giant risk that the price will fall, and you would lose money. What would you do if the price dropped down to $20 or even $10 again?

My suggestion: buy 4 BFL MiniRigs. It's what I would do if I had that kind of cash.

That will give you ~6TH/s, and pull about 6kW of power. For comparison, 120k would buy ~80 Avalon units, which would give you ~5.3TH/s, and pull almost 50kW of power.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2013, 09:48:44 PM

You can't guarantee that that will happen. In fact, you run a giant risk that the price will fall, and you would lose money. What would you do if the price dropped down to $20 or even $10 again?

My suggestion: buy 4 BFL MiniRigs. It's what I would do if I had that kind of cash.

That will give you ~6TH/s, and pull about 6kW of power. For comparison, 120k would buy ~80 Avalon units, which would give you ~5.3TH/s, and pull almost 50kW of power.

He seems to forget the lead time on these BFL units.  By the time you get them, it would worry about the profitability.   

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
crashoveride54902

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

Dream become broken often

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 10:05:49 PM

nothing in the world is guaranteed Tongue but it all depends on what your more comfortable with...trying to mine and hope you get your ROI back or buy in and hope price goes up...

Dreams of cyprto solving everything is slowly slipping away...Replaced by scams/hacks Sad
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 11:58:47 PM

He seems to forget the lead time on these BFL units.  By the time you get them, it would worry about the profitability.   
It all depends on how quickly you expect the network to grow. I'm personally looking at a difficulty of 100,000,000 sometime next summer, after BFL ships all their preorders, and all orders between now and then (aka they're all caught up). You could expect more than that, or you could expect less. It's all speculation.

I went to http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/ and entered in these variables:
Difficulty of 100,000,000
Speed of 6TH/s
Power usage of 6000W
Time frame of 6 months
Hardware cost of 120k
Estimated break even point: 152 days.
Net profit after 6 months: 21309.79 USD

Difficulty of 50,000,000
Hardware break even: 71 days

Difficulty of 150,000,000
Hardware break even: 245 days

You can worry about the profitability all you want. Please show me numbers where it doesn't make sense.

Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 03:01:29 AM

He seems to forget the lead time on these BFL units.  By the time you get them, it would worry about the profitability.    

Buy FPGA mini-rigs (from someone who has them in-hand), and then buy the SC upgrades.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2013, 03:27:14 AM
Last edit: February 25, 2013, 03:42:24 AM by mrb

Actually, what is almost guaranteed to happen is either (1) Bitcoin fails completely and drops to $0, or (2) Bitcoin continues succeeds and naturally continues to appreciate in value to $100, $1000, and more. The chance that the exchange rate remains stagnant, say between $5-50, in the next decade (we are talking long term investment here) is almost zero. Mark my words, it will be either scenario (1) or (2).

It's basic math. If Bitcoin succeeds, and if its economy grows by 10x, 100x, etc, then its exchange rate should increase by 10x, 100x, etc, because there is a predetermined finite number of coins. (Except that we have mined only half the coins up to this day, but you get my point). The question is how quickly will Bitcoin succeeds? Will it significantly rise in value over 0.5 years, 1 year, 3 years, or more?

My personal advice, with $120k: at this very moment I would buy some BTC and keep the rest to either buy more BTC if its exchange rate drops (to average down), or to be first in line when ordering the next generation of ASICs (eg. when a vendor announces 28nm, or significantly cuts the prices of current devices). It is already too late to order the current generation of devices. Customers in front of you in the line will spike the difficulty up. One of the flaws in your math assuming a difficulty of 100M is that you assume it will stay constant at 100M for a straight 6 months while you are recouping your MiniRig investment. It will instead continue to rise during these 6 months because vendors will slash prices, offer better hardware, etc.
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2013, 04:18:17 AM

It all depends on how quickly you expect the network to grow. I'm personally looking at a difficulty of 100,000,000 sometime next summer, after BFL ships all their preorders, and all orders between now and then (aka they're all caught up). You could expect more than that, or you could expect less. It's all speculation.

I went to http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/ and entered in these variables:
Difficulty of 100,000,000
Speed of 6TH/s
Power usage of 6000W
Time frame of 6 months
Hardware cost of 120k
Estimated break even point: 152 days.
Net profit after 6 months: 21309.79 USD

Difficulty of 50,000,000
Hardware break even: 71 days

Difficulty of 150,000,000
Hardware break even: 245 days

You can worry about the profitability all you want. Please show me numbers where it doesn't make sense.

I think we will be above 100 million by next summer.  Your numbers under these assumptions are solid and I like the website for calculations as well.  I think we will be around 50,000,000 by July and that is the earliest that someone could get there rigs from BFL. 

D

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 04:35:25 AM

Actually, what is almost guaranteed to happen is either (1) Bitcoin fails completely and drops to $0, or (2) Bitcoin continues succeeds and naturally continues to appreciate in value to $100, $1000, and more. The chance that the exchange rate remains stagnant, say between $5-50, in the next decade (we are talking long term investment here) is almost zero. Mark my words, it will be either scenario (1) or (2).

It's basic math. If Bitcoin succeeds, and if its economy grows by 10x, 100x, etc, then its exchange rate should increase by 10x, 100x, etc, because there is a predetermined finite number of coins. (Except that we have mined only half the coins up to this day, but you get my point). The question is how quickly will Bitcoin succeeds? Will it significantly rise in value over 0.5 years, 1 year, 3 years, or more?
You mean to tell me that in the next 10 years, either Bitcoin will fail, or it won't? Your level of perception is amazing! Everyone involved in Bitcoin knows that.

What we don't know is what the value will be one year from now. Two years ago, the price was less than $1. Then it rose to $30+, and fell back to $2. One year ago, the price was less than $5, and it's been a slow steady increase over months to what it is today. The question is, what's the price going to be in one year? We don't know.

It is already too late to order the current generation of devices. Customers in front of you in the line will spike the difficulty up. One of the flaws in your math assuming a difficulty of 100M is that you assume it will stay constant at 100M for a straight 6 months while you are recouping your MiniRig investment. It will instead continue to rise during these 6 months because vendors will slash prices, offer better hardware, etc.
You seem to be under the impression that the only way to make a profit with a BFL order is to be within the first month of pre-orders? Yes, those will be the most profitable, but I think you're underselling the long-term profitability of a 6TH/s order! And no, that calc does not assume a constant 100M difficulty. The last tab is labeled "Profitability decline per year", and assumes a downward sloping net income. if you think the network will grow faster than the defaults, you can play around with it, and see what it comes up with!

I think we will be above 100 million by next summer.  Your numbers under these assumptions are solid and I like the website for calculations as well.  I think we will be around 50,000,000 by July and that is the earliest that someone could get there rigs from BFL. 
Right, so someone places an order today, they get them in July with a difficulty of 50M. Lets say by the end of the year, the network is up to 150M difficulty. You're still talking at a 100% ROI of less than 6 months.

The end result would be: What option makes the most amount of money in a 1 year period of time.

1) If you buy BTC, you're looking at throwing 4,000 BTC in a wallet, and letting it sit there.
2) You buy from BFL, sit for 6 months, and earn 4,000BTC over the next 6 months after that (when you start mining).

Both options end up with the same result: your ultimate profitability is bound by the exhange rate. However, one option gives you hardware you can now resell, or keep mining for another year, and make even more BTC.

mrb
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2013, 06:10:58 AM
Last edit: February 25, 2013, 08:47:15 AM by mrb

You mean to tell me that in the next 10 years, either Bitcoin will fail, or it won't? Your level of perception is amazing! Everyone involved in Bitcoin knows that.

What we don't know is what the value will be one year from now. Two years ago, the price was less than $1. Then it rose to $30+, and fell back to $2. One year ago, the price was less than $5, and it's been a slow steady increase over months to what it is today. The question is, what's the price going to be in one year? We don't know.

My answer was assuming a long-term investment (5-10 years). Whereas you seem to focus on the short term. In which case I agree that mining is safer strategy to maximize short-term profits, except I am saying right now is the worse time to invest in ASICs (see below).

It is already too late to order the current generation of devices. Customers in front of you in the line will spike the difficulty up. One of the flaws in your math assuming a difficulty of 100M is that you assume it will stay constant at 100M for a straight 6 months while you are recouping your MiniRig investment. It will instead continue to rise during these 6 months because vendors will slash prices, offer better hardware, etc.
You seem to be under the impression that the only way to make a profit with a BFL order is to be within the first month of pre-orders?

Pretty much, yes. More precisely, the profits difference is so huge between being first or last in line of the ASIC preorders, that I think it would be utterly stupid to place an order today Feb 24. If you can wait, say 6 months, until a vendor slashes prices or announces a more power efficient chip, then wait, and order the day this announcement will be made. Being the first in line of the next technological advancement is always going to be the optimal time to invest in mining equipment (whether you are the first to mine on GPUs, or first on 110nm ASICs, or first on 65nm ASICs, etc).

Also, yes, I do think the "profitability decline per year" of 0.61 used by that mining calculator grossly underestimates the tidal wave of ASIC developments that is about to hit the Bitcoin mining industry.
Nemesis

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 06:23:33 AM

My answer was assuming a long-term investment (5-10 years). Whereas you seem to focus on the short term. In which case I agree that mining is safer strategy to maximize short-term profits, except I am saying right now is the worse time to invest in ASICs (see below).

Nonsense, whether btc succeeds or not, it does not depend on its exchange rate or your-rather-narrow-view "value"
Its funny when you talks about math,.... where you blatantly make assumption about relation of "btc succeed" + "economy grows"

Hey genius, if the economy grows at the same rate of btc supply, should the exchange rate increase?

Go back and take logical conjunction, genius
mrb
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2013, 06:39:19 AM
Last edit: February 25, 2013, 08:51:39 AM by mrb

Nonsense, whether btc succeeds or not, it does not depend on its exchange rate or your-rather-narrow-view "value"
Its funny when you talks about math,.... where you blatantly make assumption about relation of "btc succeed" + "economy grows"

Hey genius, if the economy grows at the same rate of btc supply, should the exchange rate increase?

Go back and take logical conjunction, genius

Cut your condescending tone.

The amount of BTC cannot grow by more than 2x (as I said, we have already mined half the coins).
If Bitcoin continues to succeed, the economy will obviously grow by a lot more than 2x (which is why I mention an economy growth of 10x, 100x -- it has already grown by more than 100x over the last 2 years).
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 11:06:03 PM

I'll put that stuff in a design radio case for you for only 5k. "Box with fan" miner instead of Jalapeno is 1k cheaper but will be delivered earler. I can also talk to BFL, maybe they have one of the old asics with the thermal conduction problems so you can light a cigar.

If its anything like BFL the sportscar wont have an engine.

Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 11:10:26 PM

Buy $1000 worth of bitcoin each day for the next 120 days.

bam91

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 04:13:42 AM

what type of rig would you guys build for 120k ?

4 minirigs plain and simple
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: