Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:22:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain based stock exchange  (Read 1343 times)
pwrgeek (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 01:09:50 AM

I've come up with a system for a blockchain based stock exchange and would like to run it by you guys before I get too far down the road on it.  The idea is this:

1.  The private owner of an enterprise decides to take it public.
2.  The owner creates a vanity address for the IPO with the first few characters after the 1 representing the ticker symbol of the stock and transfers into it a number of bitcoins representing the total number of outstanding shares that will be issued (in Satoshis) and announces the IPO publicly.
3.  Any person wishing to purchase the stock also creates a vanity address with the same first characters as the owner and then negotiates a sale with the owner at a reasonable price.  The transaction is then recorded as follows
     A.  The buyer transfers some number of Bitcoins from any arbitrary address to the owner of the stock
     B.  The owner then transfers the agreed number of shares (denominated in Satoshis) from the vanity address of the IPO to the vanity address of the buyer.

Transactions between owners of the stock later take place in a similar manner and only transactions between vanity addresses with the same first characters actually are considered to transfer ownership of the stock.  The fact that all such transactions are in the blockchain makes them audit-able for anyone.  Obviously there will be opportunities for third party services to escrow the transactions and to advertise the existence and market for various stocks (this is where I intend to come in), but the information about the ownership of the underlying stocks is tied into the blockchain and is therefore not owned by any one individual.  Let me know what you guys think.
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2013, 02:35:55 AM

Generation of vanity addresses is expensive. I've generated one and it took more than a day on my computer. There are services that will generate them for you for a price, but then you have to trust them not to use the private address.

Do a forum search for "colored coin" for what is likely a better solution.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
killerstorm
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 12:48:11 AM

Well, it is possible to do same thing, but without vanity addresses. In fact it is already implemented, sort of.

Chromia: a better dapp platform
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: