Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:18:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Memory is cheap -  (Read 2909 times)
BitHodler
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179

View Profile
May 17, 2016, 09:45:02 AM

Irony alert lol. Cheap RAM is an argument for Lightning channels, not Gavin Andresen BloatCoin. Duh, OP. Duh.

Exactly.

The BloatCoiners love to make fancy charts. They are experts at linear extrapolation with very limited real data or by showing data irrelevant to the issues that are being debated. Remember that alarming graph that showed hitting the block limit with all painted red and drama? Guess what: Nothing happened.

To repeat it here for the 100th time: Memory is not the bottleneck. The bottleneck is the network.

Also in general, assuming that capacity increases of the past decades can be extrapolated into the future without any decrease in the growth rate is science fiction. There are physical limits in miniaturization. We are already very close to these limits.

ya.ya.yo!
Memory in the past wasn't cheap but because people can make smaller chips with more memory on it. The
old ones will become very cheap. And after a year the newer ones gets cheaper because there is a new
generation.
In the past memory was pretty expensive but know with technology improving it is allot cheaper then before. They can now store more memory in a smaller platform which is ideal in most situations. 
Technology moves forward in a very quick fashion.

I remember buying a 128MB memory card was very expensive which made me stick to 64MB cards for quite a while. Grin

Now you can buy MicroSD cards with 1TB capacity and even higher if you so wish.

So much memory in such a small piece of plastic. It's mind blowing.

BSV is not the real Bcash. Bcash is the real Bcash.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2016, 05:51:59 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2016, 06:05:48 PM by Lauda

Memory in the past wasn't cheap but because people can make smaller chips with more memory on it. The  old ones will become very cheap. And after a year the newer ones gets cheaper because there is a new
generation.
This post makes little sense and does not necessarily contain the right information. The old generation of memory did not become "very cheap" (e.g. DDR2 2GB costs more than a DDR3 2GB stick). Unless you're talking about storage, then that might be a different case.

They can now store more memory in a smaller platform which is ideal in most situations.  
It really isn't about the space required to store memory when it comes to Bitcoin.

Now you can buy MicroSD cards with 1TB capacity and even higher if you so wish. So much memory in such a small piece of plastic. It's mind blowing.
The only thing that is mind blowing is that there are some fools that are willing to pay insane premiums to get those cards. I've managed to find a 512GB card and it costs a ridiculous ~350 euros.

Did some small calculation: If we assume a 2 MB block size limit and that 100% of the blocks are full (which is unreasonable) we have:
2MB * 6 blocks per hour * 24 hours a day * 365 days a year = 105.1 GB. A more reasonable view (75%) would result in the blockchain size increasing at around 78 GB's per year. This doesn't seem as much, but I'd hate downloading that from scratch (combined with the size today).
The price per gigabyte in 2015 is 0.03$ (according to this) which equals to ~2.4$ for that year. Which does not seem much at all (if we assume that these prices are available everywhere).

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Qunenin

Activity: 966
Merit: 506

View Profile
May 17, 2016, 05:53:09 PM

Most memories are cheap now a days

.1xBit.com.
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
!
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 17, 2016, 08:36:02 PM

I think the larger problem is network bandwidth rather than hard device capacity. Even with high speed Internet connection (> 20 Mbit/sec) it can take a couple of days to download the block chain from scratch.
lol.  You only have to download the chain one time - forever.  

People sit in their living room all over the planet streaming movies every night and you worry about 2MB every ten minutes?  Clearly you failed your math A levels.  

exactly, 2MB every 10 minutes is basically nothing.

that's about 416 Bytes per second (~3Kb)

even a dialup 56k modem could easily deal with that.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2016, 08:39:27 PM

exactly, 2MB every 10 minutes is basically nothing. that's about 416 Bytes per second (~3Kb)
Did you forget that blocks have to be validated? You can't just do the calculations like that and assume that the network would be healthy if it took 10 minutes to receive each block (assuming regular time between blocks). There's even that potential attack vector at 2 MB where the validation could take more than 10 minutes. However, this would go a bit away from the topic(?).

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
phreaky

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 18, 2016, 02:15:52 PM

Irony alert lol. Cheap RAM is an argument for Lightning channels, not Gavin Andresen BloatCoin. Duh, OP. Duh.

Exactly.

The BloatCoiners love to make fancy charts. They are experts at linear extrapolation with very limited real data or by showing data irrelevant to the issues that are being debated. Remember that alarming graph that showed hitting the block limit with all painted red and drama? Guess what: Nothing happened.

To repeat it here for the 100th time: Memory is not the bottleneck. The bottleneck is the network.

Also in general, assuming that capacity increases of the past decades can be extrapolated into the future without any decrease in the growth rate is science fiction. There are physical limits in miniaturization. We are already very close to these limits.

ya.ya.yo!
Memory in the past wasn't cheap but because people can make smaller chips with more memory on it. The
old ones will become very cheap. And after a year the newer ones gets cheaper because there is a new
generation.
In the past memory was pretty expensive but know with technology improving it is allot cheaper then before. They can now store more memory in a smaller platform which is ideal in most situations. 
Memory was expesive but know you can buy more memory for less money. Technology is going so fast these days some people even say that is goes to fast.
ElpadroBitcoin

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2016, 02:38:08 PM

memory these days are cheap because there are so many sorts of them. They are getting smaller and smaller each year but the memory gets bigger and bigger how is that even possible. I bought a 2tb memory stick about 4 years ago and yesterday i bought a new one with the amount of 4tb the one with 4tb was half of the size of the one i bought 4 years ago that's so strange.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
May 18, 2016, 03:22:21 PM

memory these days are cheap because there are so many sorts of them.

That is not the cause. The principle cause is miniaturisation of the process that manufactures the memory types, not the range of types itself.

yesterday i bought a new one with the amount of 4tb the one with 4tb was half of the size of the one i bought 4 years ago that's so strange.

Again, miniaturisation is the reason for your wonder.

Vires in numeris
jak1

Activity: 280

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 03:53:09 PM

The post is about cheap memory. Bandwidth is another issue. Bandwidth is very cheap also. The only issue is with the Network Infrastructure, the protocols used and handshaking between different types of network and so on.  
Look at the chart again. It is related about Bandwidth and not about the cheap memory. Cheesy
quintiilieo

Activity: 420

View Profile
June 01, 2016, 03:10:26 PM

i guess its about the difficulty to mine as years goes by the deeper and deeper it would be. just like gold as the time goes by it is harder to find and its
price is increasing because of the difficulty same in bitcoin. So the mining site will provide new technology to cope up in mining bitcoins and it will be m
more expensive to us to buy more powers.  Grin

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2016, 03:44:36 PM

The post is about cheap memory.
Correct.

Bandwidth is another issue.
They're correlated in this case.

Bandwidth is very cheap also.
The definition of 'cheap' is subjective and internet speeds (and provided plans) have a huge variation based on regions. This is why the global average speed is quite low.

i guess its about the difficulty to mine as years goes by the deeper and deeper it would be. just like gold as the time goes by it is harder to find and its price is increasing because of the difficulty same in bitcoin. So the mining site will provide new technology to cope up in mining bitcoins and it will be m more expensive to us to buy more powers.  Grin
This post does not have any relevance to the original post. In other words, signature spam.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: