Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 11:16:51 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is ripple + BTC the silver bullet to the current vampiristic financial system?  (Read 743 times)
notig (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 01:44:09 AM

First let me state I don't understand ripple well yet. I'm only just starting to read about it.. I'm also relatively new to bitcoin. I didn't read Satoshi's whitepaper until december (even though I knew about bitcoin since october 2011).

Bitcoin is powerful... and it could operate even if exchanges were taken down. Everyone knows that.......

but a decentralized exchange would be powerful right? And if you took the time to sit and think of how a decentralized exchange would work.... would you end up coming up with the idea of Ripple? Will ripple allow bitcoin to succeed in the event of political attack?

Just wondering.
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 02:19:03 AM

The problem with "the system" is not a technical problem and can't be solved by technical measures.

Or, put another way, when "they" knock on your door and insist you behave a certain way (while pulling back their ill-fitted suit to expose a holstered firearm) are you going to thumb your nose at them and say "nana nana boo boo, Ripple + BTC will defeat you!"

??
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 02:39:54 AM
Last edit: February 25, 2013, 02:50:50 AM by tacotime

No, bitcoin, and especially not ripple, can correct greed.  They're like a hammer -- you can use bitcoin to make or break things depending on your intentions.

Anyway, a decentralized exchange is a fun idea, but the issue is always how to get USD or other paper currencies from one place to another once traded.  What would be more valuable to bitcoin would be something that makes bitcoins able to easily turn into actual government-backed currencies and vice versa.  The first major advancement was bitinstant, but that's still a little less than ideal.  Once liquidity increases for bitcoin, we can expect greater adoption.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: