Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:59:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum didnt received the transactions.  (Read 1103 times)
wingcross (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 07:59:13 AM

Dear All,

I am pretty new to bitcoin and still experimenting on how to receive satoshi from faucets and so on before i really go in seriously.
Currently I am using Electrum as my wallet.

At one of the site, where I completed a certain tasks, which in return, i wil get some bits.
Towards the end, the status show that the bits had been credited but during that time, my laptop was turned off. I forgot to plug in the power. Sad
And when i turn on, and check the electrum, the transactions was not in despite the receiving addres was still active.

So my question is, do we need to have the electrum running if we want the transactions to come in ?

Thank you in advance for guiding me.

Best Regards
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
altcoinhosting

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 08:00:10 AM

Dear All,

I am pretty new to bitcoin and still experimenting on how to receive satoshi from faucets and so on before i really go in seriously.
Currently I am using Electrum as my wallet.

At one of the site, where I completed a certain tasks, which in return, i wil get some bits.
Towards the end, the status show that the bits had been credited but during that time, my laptop was turned off. I forgot to plug in the power. Sad
And when i turn on, and check the electrum, the transactions was not in despite the receiving addres was still active.

So my question is, do we need to have the electrum running if we want the transactions to come in ?

Thank you in advance for guiding me.

Best Regards

No,
Electrum doesn't need to be running... Are you sure electrum is connected to a server when you were checking (is there a green dot in the right bottom corner?).
Can you post the address you were supposted to receive the coins on?

wingcross (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 08:06:57 AM

Dear altcoinhosting,

Thank you for responding. As of today, the electrum is definitely connected to the server and the transactions is still nowhere to be seen.
The address I use to receive the transaction is 18FYVBaaC5xYJscd8VuqJmMgLdHJqJajck.

Is there a way to check ?
Thank you.
altcoinhosting

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 08:10:21 AM

Dear altcoinhosting,

Thank you for responding. As of today, the electrum is definitely connected to the server and the transactions is still nowhere to be seen.
The address I use to receive the transaction is 18FYVBaaC5xYJscd8VuqJmMgLdHJqJajck.

Is there a way to check ?
Thank you.

Yes, there is...
https://blockchain.info/address/18FYVBaaC5xYJscd8VuqJmMgLdHJqJajck
This site is a block explorer, it should show all transactions that were included in a block (and even most unconfirmed transactions)

As you can see, the last transaction that should be viewable inside electrum should be this one:
https://blockchain.info/tx/95498a5e9b00be1da0e62e345b5bceb30daa737c7237fb072b76a8728a46601f
0.000697 BTC added to your wallet on 2016-05-09 17:36:16

Is this the transaction you're missing in your electrum GUI, or can you see this one?

wingcross (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 08:13:48 AM

hmmm doesnt make sense, as the electrum history doesnt show the amount.
could i have miss anything ?

altcoinhosting

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 08:21:45 AM

hmmm doesnt make sense, as the electrum history doesnt show the amount.
could i have miss anything ?

If this is indeed the transaction you should be seeing in electrum, but you don't see it:
Code:
https://blockchain.info/tx/95498a5e9b00be1da0e62e345b5bceb30daa737c7237fb072b76a8728a46601f
0.000697 BTC added to your wallet on 2016-05-09 17:36:16

It should be viewable in electrum... Things you can check/try:
- open electrum, go to the "Addresses"-tab => double check if the address 18FYVBaaC5xYJscd8VuqJmMgLdHJqJajck is in the addresses list (please report back)
- restart electrum
- check the electrum version (help -> about; please report back)
- double-click the green dot in electrum, manually try out a couple different servers.

AFAIK, there might be a couple reasons:
1) it's the wrong address: the private key from 18FYVBaaC5xYJscd8VuqJmMgLdHJqJajck wasn't generated by the master key inside electrum (copy/paste error, virus, mixing up two of your wallets,...)
2) it's a gui-problem inside electrum (that's why i asked for a restart and to tell us the electrum version... in case ThomasV or Shorena see this thread, they might also be interested in your OS???)
3) the electrum server you're connected to might be lagging (altough, if i remember correctly, the green button at the right corner would turn yellow or orange or something... and there are 103 confirmations atm, so the server should be lagging by a lot to cause this)

EDIT:
BTW: since you're new at this: you did write down the electrum seed when creating a wallet, right??? You're asking for support, so you might need to "play" with the wallet, so you'll basically need to doublecheck your seed backup in order you mess something up!!!

Dekker3D

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 08:24:52 AM

Yes it's weird, he should see it in the tx history for sure. I'm using electrum as well and I haven't experience such unless there are issues in the blockchain.

wingcross (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 08:29:52 AM

Dear altcoinhosting,

Yeah, I have just close my electrum and run it back again, and all the missing transactions is back in !!!
So, is this behaviour normal ?

BTW, the version of my electrum is 2.63. Should be the latest.
altcoinhosting

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 08:33:15 AM

Dear altcoinhosting,

Yeah, I have just close my electrum and run it back again, and all the missing transactions is back in !!!
So, is this behaviour normal ?

BTW, the version of my electrum is 2.63. Should be the latest.

Not completely normal, but i've had it happen before myself... as long as a simple restart fixes the problem, there shouldn't be anything to worry about Wink
Actually, i'm running 2.6.4, so there should be an updated version available for you.

EDIT:
BTW: fair warning: if you keep on collecting dust ammounts from faucets, you'll need to realize it'll cost you a very high fee when you want to spend your coins.

wingcross (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 08:40:50 AM

Dear Dekker3D, can see them all now in the history.

Dear altcoinhosting,

At the moment, kinda worry to upgrade anything yet. I will do a bit of reading first before i upgrade.
Really grateful for your quick guidance. lol

Have a great day, guys !!
wingcross (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 08:49:33 AM

Dear altcoinhosting,

You were saying this
BTW: fair warning: if you keep on collecting dust ammounts from faucets, you'll need to realize it'll cost you a very high fee when you want to spend your coins.

What you mean, can you describe further ?
altcoinhosting

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 08:57:49 AM

Dear altcoinhosting,

You were saying this

What you mean, can you describe further ?

Sure, i'll try to give a not-to-theoretical version, so it's easyer to read:

PUBLIC NOTE: this is an extremely simplified version, i know it's missing some key aspects, but i wanted to convey the general idear behind fees and transaction sizes!!! Don't take this text and use it as a correct theory.

The bitcoin blockchain is a public ledger (everybody can download and verify it)... It's a database containing each and every bitcoin transaction ever made. In order to generate a transaction you need to define which inputs you want to use to create an output. You basically need to create a text saying (well, actually, your wallet will create this "text" for you): i'm using input A and input B to create output C, output D and output F. offcourse it isn't litterally this text, it's basically a code and there's a lot of hashing and signing going on, making sure you can only spend inputs you controll (inputs that were sent to an address you hold the private key to... but this is managed by your wallet, so you don't have to worry about this either).

As you can see, the more inputs and outputs, the longer the transaction "text" will be. This results in the fact that the transaction text will use more bytes in the public database.
The problem with these transactions is the following: it's customary to give some sort of "tip" (a fee) to the miner that adds your transaction to a block (puts it in the public database). If you don't give a tip, your transaction will be processed slower (or not at all). The fee is based on the size of the transaction, so the more inputs and outputs, the higher the tip will need to be.

The problem with these faucet dust inputs is that they're sometimes only slightly higher than the tip you'll need to pay a miner to put an outgoing transaction generated with the inputs you got from a faucet transaction in a block... So you might end up paying like 10% or more as a miners fee (tip) in order to get your transaction included.

If i missed something or made an error in this text, feel free to correct me, i'll edit this description to Wink

wingcross (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 09:09:07 AM

hmm, no, u dont have to change the description.

From what I can understand from what you are saying, the fees is based on the numbers of transactions and not based on the total amount.
But I still need to read more to understand further.
altcoinhosting

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 09:14:56 AM
Last edit: May 10, 2016, 09:26:24 AM by altcoinhosting

hmm, no, u dont have to change the description.

From what I can understand from what you are saying, the fees is based on the numbers of transactions and not based on the total amount.
But I still need to read more to understand further.

Indeed... If i get a single input of 1000BTC (~$450.000) from a stranger, and i use this single input to create one output, the transaction size will probably be really small (one input -> one output = not a lot of "text"). The fee would probably be a couple cents.

estimated size: 180 * 1 + 34*1 + 10 = 224 bytes
fee to get included in a block really fast: 30 satoshi's per byte => 224 * 30 = 0.00006720 BTC

If i get 1000 inputs of 1 bitcoin from a stranger, and i use it to create one output, the transaction size will be much larger (you can use this post to do an estimation: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=124302.0). The fee would be a lot more.

estimated size: 180 * 1000 + 34*1 + 10 = 180044 bytes
fee to get included in a block really fast: 30 satoshi's per byte => 180044 * 30 = 0.05401320 BTC

you can use this page to see how much fee per byte is advisable, and how long it will take ON AVERAGE for such a fee to be included in a block:
https://bitcoinfees.21.co/

EDIT: estimations done in red Wink
As you can see by my estimations, both transactions sent 1000BTC, but the first transaction only included a 3 dollarcent fee, while the second transaction included a 25 dollar fee... Both should get the same priority by the miners because they both payed 30 satoshi's per byte... The only difference was the ammount of inputs. Translated to your situation => if you have a lot of really small inputs, the percentage of the fee you'll need to pay rises really high.

EDIT2: also not this fee will stay the same if you create a single output of 1000 1BTC inputs, or from 1000 0.1BTC inputs or from 1000 0.0001BTC inputs. the size of the output will offcourse differ, but the fee stays the same.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: