Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:21:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Electrum Portable from Android?  (Read 473 times)
greatscott1 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 08:39:27 AM

Hi All,

I currently run my electrum wallet from a USB drive, which allows me to use it anywhere I'm near a Windows PC (I understand the risks)

What I was wondering - Is there a way to read my wallet using my phone? I didn't know if it was something as simple as opening the wallet file using the Electrum app and an OTG cable?

If not possible, is there an alternative wallet (not online) that would allow me to do this?

Thanks!
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
merelcoin

Activity: 675
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 08:41:55 AM

Hi All,

I currently run my electrum wallet from a USB drive, which allows me to use it anywhere I'm near a Windows PC (I understand the risks)

What I was wondering - Is there a way to read my wallet using my phone? I didn't know if it was something as simple as opening the wallet file using the Electrum app and an OTG cable?

If not possible, is there an alternative wallet (not online) that would allow me to do this?

Thanks!

Electrum has an android version, you could install this one, and just use your seed words to restore your wallet on your android phone (i haven't tried it, but it should work).
It should work, altough opening the same wallet on 2-3 different devices might lead to confusion, and when one of the devices gets compromised, you'll lose all your coins.
greatscott1 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2016, 10:00:46 AM

Thank you for the reply!

How about a way to "watch" my wallet, using the master key? Is this possible using something like MyCellium and would it pull through all the seed addresses generated by the master?
merelcoin

Activity: 675
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 11, 2016, 11:10:46 AM

Thank you for the reply!

How about a way to "watch" my wallet, using the master key? Is this possible using something like MyCellium and would it pull through all the seed addresses generated by the master?

I must honestly say i have never done this myself.
A couple things: make sure you use the correct master key (the master public key, starting with xpub, found in electrum via wallet -> master public keys).
Once you have this master public key, you can try any android app and see if it works, the master public key can only generate the public keys, so there's almost no risk involved (since no private keys can be derived from this master public key).
The master public key is able to generate all addresses that are generated in electrum when using your wallet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: