Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 05:41:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can i change my private key on blockchain?  (Read 1711 times)
GoldenPhoenix (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 04:20:22 PM

Hello everyone, i would like to change my wallet from bitcore to blockchain and to do that i think i need to put my private key somewhere in blockchain to get back my bitcoins, does anyone know how to do that?
thanks Smiley
altcoinhosting

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 04:26:53 PM

Hello everyone, i would like to change my wallet from bitcore to blockchain and to do that i think i need to put my private key somewhere in blockchain to get back my bitcoins, does anyone know how to do that?
thanks Smiley

well... bitcoin core keeps track of several private keys, it generates new addresses as change addresses every time you send coins, and new addresses to receive coins. One wallet can contain hundreds of addresses/private keys... If you want to go from bitcoin core to blockchain.info (a move i would strongly discourage), you'd need to export your private keys from core.
In order to do this, you can follow the first part of this tutorial: https://github.com/OmniLayer/omniwallet/wiki/Exporting-a-private-key-from-Bitcoin-QT-Bitcoin-core-and-Importing-to-Omniwallet.org (you'll need to repeat this for every address containing funds!!!)

Afterwards, you can import your private key(s) into blockchain.info: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_import_private_keys#Using_Blockchain.info
A second tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obvLpYOVqUs (you'll need to import all private keys you exported in the first step)

BEFORE you do ANYTHING, backup your wallet.dat to a SECURE location

and always realise you went from a relatively secure system to an online wallet, handing over your private keys to an untrusted server trough an SSL connection you cannot 100% trust...

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 04:51:39 PM

. . . If you want to go from bitcoin core to blockchain.info (a move i would strongly discourage), you'd need to export your private keys from core . . . Afterwards, you can import your private key(s) into blockchain.info: . . .

Or, you could just use Bitcoin Core to send the bitcoins to your new address in blockchain.info.
bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2016, 02:12:53 AM

. . . If you want to go from bitcoin core to blockchain.info (a move i would strongly discourage), you'd need to export your private keys from core . . . Afterwards, you can import your private key(s) into blockchain.info: . . .

Or, you could just use Bitcoin Core to send the bitcoins to your new address in blockchain.info.
Based on OP's previous thread, it seems they do not want to download the complete blockchain.
Hello everyone, i have quite a problem, i sent bitoins from an online wallet to Bitcore but the thing is that my bitcore isn't setup and i can't set it up since i need to clear more than 80GB of space. So my bitcoins desapread from my online wallet but i can't receive them on Bitcore.
I would apriciate it very much if someone found a solution
OP, might I suggest instead of going back to a web wallet, give SPV based wallets a try, Electrum for example, which doesn't require you downloading the full blockchain. It is still much safer than any web wallets.

Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
May 11, 2016, 05:32:14 AM

why not use bitcoin core prune mode. since OP is already using bitcoin core i think it is better to just switch to prune mode of core instead of anything else, especially a web wallet like blockchain.info

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: