Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:02:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins price can go up to $1million  (Read 5071 times)
remotemass (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1117
Merit: 1016

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2013, 04:56:42 PM

The total of all world currency is about $21trillion.
That means the price could go up to $1million for each bitcoin.

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 04:58:48 PM

Since you are talking theoretically, prices could actually go up to 1 billion. muhahahaha

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
xcsler

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 05:02:21 PM

Why make billions when you can make...millions?
BitCoinsLOL

Activity: 214

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 05:06:26 PM

Satoshi = 0.01 nice!

I never thought my life could be. Anything but catastrophe. But suddenly I begin to see. A "BIT" of good luck for me. Cause I've got a golden ticket!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 05:07:48 PM
Last edit: February 25, 2013, 05:26:15 PM by DeathAndTaxes

The value of all CURRENCY is closer to $5T putting an upper limit on value of about $240,000 USD (circa 2010) per BTC.   Bitcoin replaces cash not fractional reserve account balances.  Using global M0 is the apples to apples comparison.

Semi off topic so skip ahead if not interested
When people wonder why the price of everything keeps going up ... the answer is right there.  Money is simply an accounting system.  Money isn't wealth.  Money is used as an intermidiary when trading one product or service for another product or service.  Most people don't think of it this way but your wages are a product/service.  You are trading your work product for money to buy other products and services.  So why has there been so much price inflation?  Simple the amount of money has doubled roughly every decade from 1970 onward.  ~0.25T in 1970, ~0.5T in 1980, ~1.0T in 1990, ~2.0T in 2000, >4T in 2010.  Everything else being equal (no improvement in technology, no increase in supply of goods and services) we would expect the price of goods and service on average to cost about 16 times what they did in 1970s.   There simply are more units of this thing called money floating around fighting for the same goods and services.

Of course prices do generally fall due to technology (more efficient production both increasing the amount of supply and cost of production).  Take gasoline one thing people love to complain "costs too much".  In gold terms the price of gasoline has fallen about 80% since 1919.

Is this because oil companies are "nice"?  No it is because the cost of production over the last century has (adjusted for inflation) actually declined by about 80%.  Sadly thing never ending technological progress masks the true effect of inflation.  If there had been no productivity increases (but a massive increase to the money supply) we would expect the price of gasoline today to still cost roughly 0.14 ounces of gold per gallon or ~$24.00 in 2010 dollars.  However if over a period of time (say a decade) the money supply doubles but productivity increases 50% then prices (in aggregate) will "only" rise 33%.  See (price) inflation is low!  Smiley  The true effect of monetary debasement is partially hidden by rising productivity.  As a side note all wealth in the world comes from increased productivity.  If your activity increases your personal wealth by means other than productivity gains then it is simply a transfer of wealth from one person to another.

So what does this have to do with the OP point?
While the global money supply can (and probably will) inflate that would only increase the nominal PRICE not the VALUE.  If the money supply doubles over the next hundred years then one would expect the price of BTC to also double but then again so would the price of everything else.  If Bitcoin replaced all currency globally (not a scenario I find likely but good as an upper limit) we would expect the price to be on the order of $240,000 when measured in 2010 dollars.
Offthechain

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 05:24:04 PM

Dreamers... there is no way Bitcoin is going to replace all World currencies.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 05:28:57 PM

Dreamers... there is no way Bitcoin is going to replace all World currencies.

One can have a discussion without thinking it is going to happen.  It is useful to provide an upper bound on value.  One Bitcoin for example will never be worth $10 trillion USD when measured in 2010 dollars (adjusting for inflation).  One the other hand the bitcoin money supply is currently only worth about 0.006% of global money supply.  So while Bitcoin will probably not replace ANY currency (much less all of them) if it carved out a niche where it was used by say 1% of the population it shows the upside potential is significant.
Rygon

Activity: 520

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 05:47:20 PM

All you have to do is find someone who is willing to trade $1 USD for 100 Satoshis. Then we'll have a new high, lol.
Saturn7

Activity: 147

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 05:49:08 PM

I thought we where all secretly in agreement that each coin is worth at least $1M
 Grin

First there was Fire, then Electricity, and now Bitcoins Wink
wtfvanity

WTF???

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 05:57:11 PM

All you have to do is find someone who is willing to trade $1 USD for 100 Satoshis. Then we'll have a new high, lol.

I'll sell 1 Satoshi for $1 USD. I'll even pay the transaction fee. We'll set an all time high, LMK.

.      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2013, 06:30:40 PM

I'll sell 1 Satoshi for $1 USD. I'll even pay the transaction fee. We'll set an all time high, LMK.

Sadly, there's probably scammers out there doing exactly that. A Flim-Flam man could easily convince a mark that a satoshi is more valuable than a bitcoin, and that bitcoins are only used by the earlier adapters, albeit at a lost. That is why all the earlier adapters are claiming to be newbies so they can purchase satoshis, because those are going up in value quicker than bitcoins due to the fact there are more of them.

The uneducated mark would think that the above makes sense, commencing the deal. They would then be told the confirmations take a little longer with satoshis, but the new and improved blockchain will make the process much faster in only a couple months.
wtfvanity

WTF???

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 07:16:20 PM

Sadly, there's probably scammers out there doing exactly that. A Flim-Flam man could easily convince a mark that a satoshi is more valuable than a bitcoin, and that bitcoins are only used by the earlier adapters, albeit at a lost. That is why all the earlier adapters are claiming to be newbies so they can purchase satoshis, because those are going up in value quicker than bitcoins due to the fact there are more of them.

The uneducated mark would think that the above makes sense, commencing the deal. They would then be told the confirmations take a little longer with satoshis, but the new and improved blockchain will make the process much faster in only a couple months.

So who is to say that the all time high may not already been $30 for 1 satoshi? Or $3,000,000,000 per BTC? Not traded on a market of course so I wouldn't count it. This would be a simple way for someone to claim they could send up front, but I don't know how many you could actually fool. Something like blockchain.info shows you the estimated USD balance.

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 09:10:33 PM

There are many fantasy here, just feel fun to read all these get-rich-quick dreams, but who knows if that really becomes true (for once at last) Grin

dacoinminster
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2013, 09:31:01 PM

This thread seems like a good place to drop this:

(From my Using Memes to Explain Bitcoin)

Bitcoins are a couple pixels larger now than when I first published this, but you get the idea.

hahahafr

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 02:38:13 AM

Bitcoin is now 3-pixel wide.

◢◣                      ◢◣
                                     ◢████◣           ◢████◣
                               ◢████████◣◢████████◣
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████◤██████
                               ███████████◤████████
                               █████████◤██████████
                               ███████◤████████████
                               █████◤██████████████
                               █████◣                       ◢█████
                               ███████◣            ◢███████
                               █████████◣◢█████████
                               ◥████████◤◥████████◤
                                    ◥████◤            ◥████◤
                                          ◥◤                      

HYDAX
       Secure  
   Efficient
   Simple  
   Medium 
    Twitter  
    Telegram 
[/center
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 05:21:00 AM

This thread seems like a good place to drop this:

(From my Using Memes to Explain Bitcoin)

Bitcoins are a couple pixels larger now than when I first published this, but you get the idea.

Rational Exuberance  Smiley

glub0x
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1013

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 10:39:10 AM

i guess this is more accurate now ...

The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the
minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions

Satoshi Nakamoto : https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 12:50:45 PM

The price can rise to $1 million, but it won't.
BIGMERVE

Activity: 728

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2013, 01:15:26 PM

If bitcoins reached $1 millions what would happen to the transaction fee. 0.0005 of 1,000,000 is 300. That would be a large fee.

piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 02:24:46 PM

0.0005 of 1,000,000 is 300. That would be a large fee.

But everyone would be millionaire then, remember?

i am satoshi
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: