Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 05:54:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Theymos: “Bitcoins Belonging to Satoshi Should Be Destroyed”  (Read 18507 times)
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2016, 06:44:17 AM

Many people stored BTC into casascius coins, if you move your coins from those you destroy a valuable wallet. 

Didn't these come after the hashed addresses? If so they should be using hashes, not pubkeys.
I don't think he read\understood the whole thread.  You are correct the physical coins would not be affected under the proposal.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
bitboy11

Activity: 534
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 11:22:21 AM

I have a great idea...Theymos should be destroyed! Tongue
If someone had my coins destroyed for any reason, I would try my best to seek and destroy them! Angry
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2016, 12:15:31 PM

If someone had my coins destroyed for any reason, I would try my best to seek and destroy them! Angry
Did you read the thread?  No.
Do you have any idea what is being discussed?  No.
Are you just another lazy ass signature campaign spammer with a purchased account?  Looks like it.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
bitboy11

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 12:44:03 PM

Did you read the thread?  No.
Do you have any idea what is being discussed?  No.
Are you just another lazy ass signature campaign spammer with a purchased account?  Looks like it.

Sure I read the thread and I disagree with Theymos proposal. In my opinion, if Satoshi's coins became threatened by QC in the future and he does not move them, then they should be stolen. Whoever steals them to sell them will temporarily crash the market BUT it WILL rebound! (even if it takes a few years)

It will also be good thing as more bitcoins will be redistributed to the masses.

Now let's do a checklist of everything you said earlier.

Did you read the thread?  YES!
Do you have any idea what is being discussed?  YES!
Are you just another lazy ass signature campaign spammer with a purchased account?  Looks like it. NO!

As far as my account is concerned, you are dead wrong BurtW!
Do you have any idea what a signature campaigner is...Doesn't look like you do!

The site in my signature is a now defunct site...it is still online but has been abandoned for months.
There is certainly no campaign on BitcoinTalk for the promotion of such site.
Have you seen how often I have posted in the past couple of months...probably 1 post per week on average.

Stop making stupid assumptions BurtW...you look like an idiot. Roll Eyes
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2016, 01:26:49 PM

You realized that even if implemented the proposal would not affect your coins at all (unless you personally have coins on a pay to public key address), right?

So, your statement:

makes no sense in the context of the proposal being discussed in this thread.

Sorry, but it looked like you jumped into the thread, read only the title and then left a comment.  If you actually read the thread then I apologize.  Can you see that in light of the fact your coins are not affected even if the proposal is implemented it appears that you did not read the thread and you do not understand the proposal?

bitboy11

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 08:47:12 PM

For some reason there is hostility developing towards Satoshi. Which is incredible because without him, there would be no cryptocurrency.

Makes you wonder what would happen if Christ returned - I expect he'd be lynched and crucified in a jiffy by all his loyal supporters.

Lol...I've been saying the same thing for years. Grin
Hugroll

Activity: 756

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 10:21:33 PM

i feel like the coins are already destroyed. its not satoshi is gonna show up any time soon. for all we know hes already dead. really though he hasnt shown himself in the last couple of years. he couldve said something anonymously.
ndnh
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1005

New Decentralized Nuclear Hobbit

View Profile
June 11, 2016, 05:13:24 AM

Don't know what Lamport is, but I think this one is a better option than the other:
One implementation would introduce OP_LAMPORT-protected addresses, which adds another layer of security to ensure the encryption cannot be broken.

I generally do not agree that Satoshi's coins should be destroyed.
May be doing that will make another person who hold a lot to dump in the market, because.. well, he is next. Grin
(no, really, he will just split it among a couple of addresses he hold*)

If we do come across a technology that could crack a private key soon, it wouldn't really matter if that funds are stolen or not. Suppose we do destroy them, it would only make the attack more sneaky, can't say which is worse. Only solution I see is, to keep improving security.

*Don't bother if that is wrong.
Swimmer63
Legendary

Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 02:35:34 AM

i feel like the coins are already destroyed. its not satoshi is gonna show up any time soon. for all we know hes already dead. really though he hasnt shown himself in the last couple of years. he couldve said something anonymously.

A couple years is not a long time for a project that was designed to span decades.  Who's to say what his intentions are for the coins, if any.  Maybe his kids inherit them.  No one has a right to mess with them but him.
hermanhs09

Activity: 574

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 10:58:48 AM

Well, why do we need satoshi to do anything?

If he's dead, great, because we don't need to worry about his coins anymore. However, this is probably not the case right now. He is probably just hiding under an alt account lurking on the forum.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 11:42:52 AM

Well, why do we need satoshi to do anything?

If he's dead, great, because we don't need to worry about his coins anymore. However, this is probably not the case right now. He is probably just hiding under an alt account lurking on the forum.

If he was dead that doesn't change the fact that he could have given access to the private keys to someone he knew or trusted.

Private keys and bitcoin don't care if you are alive or not. Only if someone alive who has access to them.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Nouelle-Hunter

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 01:00:12 PM

NO it shouldnt be  the idea of destroying bitcoins is not appropriate .. why? first a lot of people get used to it and  the things they should od is to increase the security of bitcoins not to destroy what already there and start a new one...  thats not a good idea

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 04:53:37 PM

Observation: All of a sudden the theoretical discussions we've been having here look like they are getting a lot less theoretical over in The DAO and Ethereum. Many of the same principles and arguments apply. Will be _very_ interesting seeing how that pans out.

I do think it would be constructive for dev teams to take these situations into consideration and have a plan and/or stated policy in place for how to cope with "existential threat" hacks like this. If we all knew beforehand that coins would be burned, or that there would be a drive to do a rollback in specific situations, or some other course, even if we didn't agree with the policy at least it would be a lot more fair to know it beforehand. Everyone would know what they are getting into, instead of this "make it up as we go along" approach that we are seeing with Ether.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 09:09:32 PM

Observation: All of a sudden the theoretical discussions we've been having here look like they are getting a lot less theoretical over in The DAO and Ethereum. Many of the same principles and arguments apply. Will be _very_ interesting seeing how that pans out.

I do think it would be constructive for dev teams to take these situations into consideration and have a plan and/or stated policy in place for how to cope with "existential threat" hacks like this. If we all knew beforehand that coins would be burned, or that there would be a drive to do a rollback in specific situations, or some other course, even if we didn't agree with the policy at least it would be a lot more fair to know it beforehand. Everyone would know what they are getting into, instead of this "make it up as we go along" approach that we are seeing with Ether.

Pride, is always the last sin you see before they fall  Grin there was entirely too much investment into something so unproven, if they had righteous intentions they would have capped the funding at something reasonable (could have still been a ground breaking amount). But you are right, it is quite funny how things come to pass.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 10:32:33 PM

I do think it would be constructive for dev teams to take these situations into consideration and have a plan and/or stated policy in place for how to cope with "existential threat" hacks like this.

First, there is no existential threat. At least not to Bitcoin. If Ethereum ends up voting to NOT invalidate the event (remember - it was clearly stated that the only binding terms were the code, which makes the 'heist' actually a legitimate action), then it may yet recover. If they do invalidate the recent event, nobody will ever trust again that it is decentralized.

More importantly, Bitcoin already has a policy. You make a stupid investment, it's on you. Don't expect the system to bail out your ignorant ass.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
ebliever
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 11:02:33 PM

I do think it would be constructive for dev teams to take these situations into consideration and have a plan and/or stated policy in place for how to cope with "existential threat" hacks like this.

First, there is no existential threat. At least not to Bitcoin. If Ethereum ends up voting to NOT invalidate the event (remember - it was clearly stated that the only binding terms were the code, which makes the 'heist' actually a legitimate action), then it may yet recover. If they do invalidate the recent event, nobody will ever trust again that it is decentralized.

More importantly, Bitcoin already has a policy. You make a stupid investment, it's on you. Don't expect the system to bail out your ignorant ass.

I didn't say it was an existential thread to bitcoin. That's silly. It was an existential threat to the entity in question, The DAO. Given that the head of Slock.it is now saying it's dead regardless of what happens, I'd say that's pretty existential.

If they engage a hard fork it will require widespread consensus among the miners involved to pull it off. There is no contradiction between decentralization and getting something done. I think the muddled point you are trying to make is that if they bail out The DAO investors, people will expect it again in the future. That risk exists both in a mob rule and a dictatorship. That, not decentralization or centralization, is the real issue at hand.

beastmodeBiscuitGravy

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 11:49:11 PM

I didn't say it was an existential thread to bitcoin. That's silly. It was an existential threat to the entity in question, The DAO. Given that the head of Slock.it is now saying it's dead regardless of what happens, I'd say that's pretty existential.

If they engage a hard fork it will require widespread consensus among the miners involved to pull it off. There is no contradiction between decentralization and getting something done. I think the muddled point you are trying to make is that if they bail out The DAO investors, people will expect it again in the future. That risk exists both in a mob rule and a dictatorship. That, not decentralization or centralization, is the real issue at hand.

As long as they can do it with a soft fork it will be OK.

Same thing for deleting satoshi's coins, if theymos and mining pools can do it with a soft fork (i.e. not changing the codes of Bitcoin, which is immutable.), than is OK.
ebliever
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 12:12:33 AM

Same thing for deleting satoshi's coins, if theymos and mining pools can do it with a soft fork (i.e. not changing the codes of Bitcoin, which is immutable.), than is OK.

I disagree. If an action is immoral, it doesn't matter whether it is done with a soft fork or a hard fork. That's like saying that murder with a knife is different from murder with a gun.

beastmodeBiscuitGravy

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 01:03:56 AM

I disagree. If an action is immoral, it doesn't matter whether it is done with a soft fork or a hard fork. That's like saying that murder with a knife is different from murder with a gun.

I have to humbely disagree. The murderer using a knife is not forced to upgrade to a gun. It is backwards compatable.

Let he who is without sin (the soft forker), cast the first stone.
bitcoineverything

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

InvestnTrade. Latest from the crypto space.

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2016, 01:12:56 AM

No one has the right to destroy some one else's bitcoins. Bitcoins supply is limited that is why it is deflationary and finding old coins is not inflation.

if it happens, it violates the most important rule of Butcoin that it is immutable.

We are here to give you all the latest from the Cryptocurrency space!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: