Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:36:40 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What will happen if someone did control more than 51% of the hashrate?  (Read 1148 times)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 13, 2016, 05:39:42 AM

invalid blocks = block that miners on the original fork can not validate anymore

Which makes absolutely zero sense (like most of your posts so no real surprise there).

*any word* = *whatever you want to say it means* is not a valid way to answer a question. Cheesy

you can give different sense to some meaning, it's happen all the time, it was a faster way for me to say the same thing on the wiki

this does not imply that i didn't understand the concept
Cyaren (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 13, 2016, 06:48:28 AM

So CIYAM, I know that it would be literally completely unprofitable for any person to launch the 51% attack. Basically bitcoin will go down in price, and the guy who launched the attack won't be able to sell those coins for a profit.

But what if, say an organization or a government decided to do this, just because they hate BTC? They've got tons of processing power to waste, and currency to invest. What are the chances of that happening?

Should we be worried at all, or do you think that bitcoin is going to work as usual in the future?
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2016, 06:52:47 AM

I would guess as the majority of hash power is located in China that its government could be the biggest such potential threat, however, unlike Russia we have not seen any negative reports about Bitcoin in the Chinese media so for now I think Bitcoin is looking fairly safe from a >50% attack.

Certainly spreading the hash rate across more countries would be a good thing to strengthen Bitcoin from any such potential threat (and mining farms in places like Iceland are already helping with this).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Cyaren (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2016, 06:59:20 AM

I would guess as the majority of hash power is located in China that its government could be the biggest such potential threat, however, unlike Russia we have not seen any negative reports about Bitcoin in the Chinese media so for now I think Bitcoin is looking fairly safe from a >50% attack.

Certainly spreading the hash rate across more countries would be a good thing to strengthen Bitcoin from any such potential threat (and mining farms in places like Iceland are helping with this).

Yes, China is a very big threat IMO. Currently bitcoin is used as a gateway to get CNY out of the country. They do have a motive to stop that.

There are a couple of pools that have came close, but they have been legitimate enough to not launch an attack.

Can the bitcoin devs do anything about it, or is there a good solution to a problem?
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2016, 07:03:25 AM
Last edit: May 13, 2016, 07:41:28 AM by CIYAM

Yes, China is a very big threat IMO. Currently bitcoin is used as a gateway to get CNY out of the country. They do have a motive to stop that.

There was a list put together of ten ways that Chinese use to move RMB (CNY) out of the country and Bitcoin was at the very bottom (accounting for considerably less than even 1% of said currency movement) so I don't think it is going to be focused on for that reason (any time soon at least).

Can the bitcoin devs do anything about it, or is there a good solution to a problem?

As long as mining farms are set up in as many different places as they can be then Bitcoin will be fine (there isn't really anything much that can be coded to help this).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 13, 2016, 07:38:21 AM

People get worried when they hear 51 percent.   Ghash pool got it.... then fell drastically, people switched to make sure it did not stay that way.  So we have a example where a pool did achieve 51 percent.  And no bad things happened.

For a pool or person in bitcoin to perform any 51 percent attack would tank BTC price.  So in most if not all cases hurt their business.  So I don't think we will ever see it happen on an attack between it not being in best interest and people switch pools if it gets that high.
Cyaren (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2016, 06:21:42 AM

People get worried when they hear 51 percent.   Ghash pool got it.... then fell drastically, people switched to make sure it did not stay that way.  So we have a example where a pool did achieve 51 percent.  And no bad things happened.

For a pool or person in bitcoin to perform any 51 percent attack would tank BTC price.  So in most if not all cases hurt their business.  So I don't think we will ever see it happen on an attack between it not being in best interest and people switch pools if it gets that high.

As I was suggesting what if a government/organization just want to destroy the bitcoin network? Not for profit. Rather for political or economic purposes.

There was a list put together of ten ways that Chinese use to move RMB (CNY) out of the country and Bitcoin was at the very bottom (accounting for considerably less than even 1% of said currency movement) so I don't think it is going to be focused on for that reason (any time soon at least).

As long as mining farms are set up in as many different places as they can be then Bitcoin will be fine (there isn't really anything much that can be coded to help this).

According to one thread though, China is currently controlling 80% of the hashrate. Would that become a  worry if they decide to join together?

Do you think a 51% will happen at all?
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2016, 07:43:13 AM

According to one thread though, China is currently controlling 80% of the hashrate. Would that become a  worry if they decide to join together?

Do you think a 51% will happen at all?

A worst case scenario would be the forced takeover of mining farms by the Chinese state. Of course if such a thing were to occur then the price of BTC would plummet (so such a move would be politically rather than economically driven).

It is hard to see any way around Chinese domination in one way or another as the vast majority of computing devices in the world are manufactured in China (and western corporations can only blame their own greed for creating this situation in the first place).

Even if you had a coin that could be mined with smart phones (i.e. requiring very little electricity) in all likelihood China would control the majority of such nodes as well (as nearly every Chinese that I see on a daily basis has a smart phone - and I mean even cleaners and construction workers).

In some ways perhaps it could make sense that more localised block-chains might serve a useful purpose (although one of Bitcoin's biggest selling points is it being global and not under the whim of any government).

Also in places such as Iceland where electricity is virtually free and temperatures are low enough to require little (or maybe even no) cooling there will always be a potential for growth so we might find that hashing power ends up concentrated in such locations over time (I guess then it is a matter of how many such locations there are and in how many different countries).

Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 14, 2016, 11:06:58 AM

Preferential transactions
Illegitimate blocks
Blah blah blah end of the world etc.
Mostly this last one, coz they would not risk devaluate bitcoin, but better noone has 51%.
Haswell

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
May 17, 2016, 03:33:43 PM

They probably will get most of the fees in a block.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: