Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:42:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The war in Bitcoin community  (Read 1918 times)
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
May 13, 2016, 06:55:13 AM

All the big 'hacks' at the Bitcoin exchanges were inside jobs - Mt.Gox, Cryptsy, and the recent example - ShapeShift. There are probably more but I can name these off the top of my head right now. What's the most common excuse in this case? Oh wait we were hacked sorry for your coins being lost but we aren't liable for what has happened to you lol  Roll Eyes

And as for Craig Wright, do you think he could have been paid to discredit the Bitcoin core team for being fools like in particular Gavin Andresen and to create more drama in the Bitcoin community?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1442
Merit: 529

View Profile
May 13, 2016, 06:59:27 AM

All the big 'hacks' at the Bitcoin exchanges were inside jobs - Mt.Gox, Cryptsy, and the recent example - ShapeShift. There are probably more but I can name these off the top of my head right now. What's the most common excuse in this case? Oh wait we were hacked sorry for your coins being lost but we aren't liable for what has happened to you lol  Roll Eyes

And as for Craig Wright, do you think he could have been paid to discredit the Bitcoin core team for being fools like in particular Gavin Andresen and to create more drama in the Bitcoin community?

That is quite true, all major hacks were inside jobs, small hacks, persons losing their coins is because of them not protecting themself enough and become victims of malware or even phishing attempt (one guy here who lost 300 Bitcoins and almost 3000 Litecoin from an email supposedly from a friend or some job interview, don't remember).

Craig Wright just created some hype, and made a lot of memes appear in the internet like the best ONE CANNOT SIMPLY FIND WHO SATOSHI IS , it did nothing to bitcoin, not created a war , bitcoin price remained quite stable at just over 450 so for me it was just a bubble.
Monnt
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 13, 2016, 07:20:25 AM

There really isn't any point in admitting you're satoshi, if you're satoshi. Because right now there are so many theories and rumors, that if the real satoshi revealed himself, he would be called a liar and manical and attention seeking instantly.
DimensionZ

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Shit, did I leave the stove on?

View Profile
May 13, 2016, 10:03:37 AM

I don't think we will ever know what the real motives behind Craig Wright's actions were unless we ask him directly or some of his close friends who might have been let in on the plan. My theory is that Craig either tried to discredit Bitcoin or tried to gain the favor of the Bitcoin core team devs. Well he ended up being a con artist so this page is now closed I guess.

btcjoin14

Activity: 891
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 13, 2016, 10:16:42 AM

Craig is just trying to steal attention to himself and it will probably backfire massively. Satoshi even said himself that he doesn't like the attention. Anyone that trys to say that he is satoshi will definitely have to prove it.
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2016, 10:41:06 AM

It is certainly unfortunate that Craig Wright chose to provide cryptographic proof only to Gavin. Gavin is well-respected and seems like a really down to earth guy and personally I believe him when he says he is convinced that Craig is Satoshi but it is clear that the Bitcoin community cannot simply trust his judgment blindly. The whole thing is a bit of a mess but I don't think anyone is trying to tear down the Bitcoin community.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2016, 04:52:33 PM

All the big 'hacks' at the Bitcoin exchanges were inside jobs - Mt.Gox, Cryptsy, and the recent example - ShapeShift.
It is quite weird that they don't use 2 out of 3 multisig or so in order to move large amounts of coins. It's quite unfortunate that they get "hacked" so easily.

Some governments are afraid of Bitcoin, or Do not trust him.
The second part of the statement, you don't have to "trust" anything in Bitcoin (especially not a "him").

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
voztata

Activity: 998
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 13, 2016, 04:54:38 PM

There really isn't any point in admitting you're satoshi, if you're satoshi. Because right now there are so many theories and rumors, that if the real satoshi revealed himself, he would be called a liar and manical and attention seeking instantly.
The problem is that the community keeps on talking about it, that's why the issue is not dying. If people just stop talking about it, then this 'issue' will slowly fade and nobody would start to give attention anymore.
chiajw1 (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2016, 04:57:41 AM

There is no conspiracy theory.... the fact is, a lot of people do not want Bitcoin to succeed... that includes Alt coin and private Blockchain based technology companies and also bigger remittance

services. Bitcoin, IF successful, will disrupt a lot of these services and they will lose a lot of profits. These people WILL undermine Bitcoin and try to divide the community or spread FUD all over

forums like this or Reddit. We need to take notice of what is happening and fight fire with fire... If they spread FUD, we counter it with FACTS.. If they try to divide us, we STAND together.. This way

we will succeed.  Wink

I think you are right. A lot of people actually don't want to change their minds and adopt bitcoin because of fear. There are also few individuals who are trying to make a drama and mess up the bitcoin community before it succeed in becoming the world currency. It is up to us to spread the word, fight the freedom of bitcoin and stand together to sustain bitcoin. United we stand. Grin Grin
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 14, 2016, 05:21:28 AM

As for the drama surrounding Dr. Wraight I strongly believe that with his last post on his site we won't be seeing him anymore.
As he gave up to convince people that he indeed is Satoshi. There was no war in bitcoin community - there are only stances.
yenxz

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 14, 2016, 09:30:51 AM

Anyone claiming to be satoshi is a fucking idiot and is painting a MASSIVE read target on their heads imho.

Craig needs therapy, or attention, something... No fully grown man should carry on in that matter pretending to live in fairytales.
agreed with that,but have you think who are people should claim to be satoshi?i mean who is the best people that deserve to claiming his slef as satoshi nakamoto?
i dont think Craig needs therapy,but he just need atention,and he succesfull to do that,and now i know who he was.
Rizky Aditya

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 14, 2016, 09:38:19 AM

I think that the the real Satoshi will never reveal who he/she is ever. Seeing as how smart he/she is, they would have realised what has happened to people who admitted they were Satoshi.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2016, 10:02:16 AM

If people just stop talking about it, then this 'issue' will slowly fade and nobody would start to give attention anymore.
I highly doubt that. While the story about this particular fake Satoshi Nakamoto might fade away, the "war" will certainly not.

i dont think Craig needs therapy,but he just need atention,and he succesfull to do that,and now i know who he was.
After failing to provide any kind of valid evidence, he tried to play the victim with that last blog post. Craig is a classic sociopath.

I think that the the real Satoshi will never reveal who he/she is ever.
MRKLYE made a good point:
Anyone claiming to be satoshi is a fucking idiot and is painting a MASSIVE read target on their heads imho.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
BitcoinEXpress
Legendary

Activity: 1210
Merit: 1024

View Profile
May 14, 2016, 03:58:54 PM

As someone who was around in the early days but not a member of this forum till 2011

I've always thought that Hal Finney was the real Satoshi Nakamoto.

I think Satoshi died with Hal.

~BCX~
Evildrum

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
May 14, 2016, 04:47:55 PM

The nature of bitcoin as we adjust to having different views on where we all see bitcoin going and jockey for positioning in pushing our views to the masses. I bang my head constantly as I see no need for regulation and many here want that to profit off and make bitcoin more mainstream.
Not against the latter view just do not think bitcoin needs to submit to government pressures and that is where I splinter off from most here.

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
Cuidler

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 14, 2016, 05:09:36 PM

After failing to provide any kind of valid evidence, he tried to play the victim with that last blog post. Craig is a classic sociopath.

I think the evidence points he is scammer instead. He convinced media he might be Satoshi for a brief moment - thats enought for simple people trusting what media publish to invest money to him thinking Craig Wright really get access to the 1 million Bitcoins later - classic Nigeria princ scam example, but there is always someone stupid enought to get catch to these scams.

.Liqui Exchange.Trade and earn 24% / year on BTC, LTC, ETH
....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2016, 06:23:57 PM

I think the evidence points he is scammer instead. He convinced media he might be Satoshi for a brief moment - thats enought for simple people trusting what media publish to invest money to him thinking Craig Wright really get access to the 1 million Bitcoins later - classic Nigeria princ scam example, but there is always someone stupid enought to get catch to these scams.
Why would he not be able both? Sociopaths are able to play the role of a victim very well, and I think that is what he tried to do with that last blog post. However, the whole situation seemed like some sort of 'test' that both the market and the community have passed.

The nature of bitcoin as we adjust to having different views on where we all see bitcoin going and jockey for positioning in pushing our views to the masses.
There is a difference between having a discussion with people with opposing views and having a "war". Discussions with people who want to participate in such a "war" are usually futile.

I bang my head constantly as I see no need for regulation and many here want that to profit off and make bitcoin more mainstream. Not against the latter view just do not think bitcoin needs to submit to government pressures and that is where I splinter off from most here.
That's something worth discussing in another thread.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
May 14, 2016, 06:54:37 PM

All the big 'hacks' at the Bitcoin exchanges were inside jobs - Mt.Gox, Cryptsy, and the recent example - ShapeShift.
It is quite weird that they don't use 2 out of 3 multisig or so in order to move large amounts of coins. It's quite unfortunate that they get "hacked" so easily.

Some governments are afraid of Bitcoin, or Do not trust him.
The second part of the statement, you don't have to "trust" anything in Bitcoin (especially not a "him").

Yeah and the strange thing is this tends to happen only on Bitcoin exchanges. Correct me if I am wrong but I haven't seen such a breach in online Bitcoin wallets. I think either some greedy people at the exchanges want to profit quickly off the hard-earned money of their customers or someone high-up maybe a CEO deliberately allows outside hackers to siphon out funds and splits a portion with them in exchange for their services. Blaming hackers for the breach in security is just a shoddy way of avoiding liability.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2016, 07:40:41 PM

Yeah and the strange thing is this tends to happen only on Bitcoin exchanges. Correct me if I am wrong but I haven't seen such a breach in online Bitcoin wallets. I think either some greedy people at the exchanges want to profit quickly off the hard-earned money of their customers or someone high-up maybe a CEO deliberately allows outside hackers to siphon out funds and splits a portion with them in exchange for their services. Blaming hackers for the breach in security is just a shoddy way of avoiding liability.
While this might be a bit off topic here, I'll gladly respond as you make a point. When I really think about it, it is usually the exchanges that "get hacked". While I know many examples of exchanges that suffered 'hacks', I don't know a single online wallet that suffered a huge hack aside from Inputs.io (which was 3 years ago). In that case, it was also about a big sum of Bitcoin so it is very questionable whether it was a hack or not. Now when it comes to the community, while these hacks have caused losses (I avoided each and every one of those, even if I had an account e.g. Inputs.io, Cryptsy and such) it kind-of makes the community more stronger. The general advice is to not store large amounts of money online, not in wallet nor exchanges. If we focus back to the OP, I don't think that this very incident had a negative effect in the community. It seemed like most people were on the same side.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
jak1

Activity: 280

View Profile
May 15, 2016, 03:42:56 AM

As for the drama surrounding Dr. Wraight I strongly believe that with his last post on his site we won't be seeing him anymore.
As he gave up to convince people that he indeed is Satoshi. There was no war in bitcoin community - there are only stances.

If people see Bitcoin as value for money in some case hackers will be involved at some point. Ever since Bitcoin started being noticed as the main net currency; certaintly high security systems need to be implemented. As the value of Bitcoin increases and eventually becomes a global curreny used worldwide, we can be certain that it would have up to date security systems to lower the chances of hackers gaining access to it. Also, White Hat hackers would also be hired to figure any loopholes within the system.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: