Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 03:50:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Failed Transaction - how do I resend/fix?  (Read 2245 times)
titus (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 11:29:20 AM

Hi all,
I purchased some bitcoins back in April of 2011 and didn't do anything with them until recently.  I had my wallet in my Windows 7 partition, which I don't use much anymore, but I logged in to see if I even still had my bitcoin wallet over there. Sure enough I did, and was still running an earlier version of Bitcoin-Qt.

I tried to send from that client to my new bitcoin address, but the transaction was stuck at 0/unconfirmed for over an hour. Figuring something was wrong, I upgraded to the latest Bitcoin-Qt, but everytime I tried to lauch it, it crashed.

Since I didn't want to stick around in Windows anyway, I copied my wallet.dat over to my Linux partition,grabbed the Bitcoin-qt client for Ubuntu, and overwrote the new wallet.dat with my old one.  The client seemed to recognize the old transactions fine - but my balance says 0.  The transaction I tried to send (ea0491518bb8c52f1ba514a67d5c67db0ed8ab70b78b2a19d1e1de5c9edc95c8 to address 15hVDzGnQdywsKWwmkjr2TwA83wDdYfcav) is still stuck at 0/unconfirmed.

I can't send the bitcoins again, the client says I don't have that much in my balance.

Anyway to tell the client to push the transaction to the network again?
Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 11:37:52 AM

Hi all,
I purchased some bitcoins back in April of 2011 and didn't do anything with them until recently.  I had my wallet in my Windows 7 partition, which I don't use much anymore, but I logged in to see if I even still had my bitcoin wallet over there. Sure enough I did, and was still running an earlier version of Bitcoin-Qt.

I tried to send from that client to my new bitcoin address, but the transaction was stuck at 0/unconfirmed for over an hour. Figuring something was wrong, I upgraded to the latest Bitcoin-Qt, but everytime I tried to lauch it, it crashed.

Since I didn't want to stick around in Windows anyway, I copied my wallet.dat over to my Linux partition,grabbed the Bitcoin-qt client for Ubuntu, and overwrote the new wallet.dat with my old one.  The client seemed to recognize the old transactions fine - but my balance says 0.  The transaction I tried to send (ea0491518bb8c52f1ba514a67d5c67db0ed8ab70b78b2a19d1e1de5c9edc95c8 to address 15hVDzGnQdywsKWwmkjr2TwA83wDdYfcav) is still stuck at 0/unconfirmed.

I can't send the bitcoins again, the client says I don't have that much in my balance.

Anyway to tell the client to push the transaction to the network again?

What version of Qt and was your client synced?

poly

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Weighted companion cube

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 11:47:55 AM

Please dump your private keys (in qt, go to the debug console and type dumpprivkeys [address]) and then import them to an alternate wallet like Blockchain.info My Wallet.

poly | My Tip Jar
Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 12:01:12 PM

Please dump your private keys (in qt, go to the debug console and type dumpprivkeys [address]) and then import them to an alternate wallet like Blockchain.info My Wallet.

That might be a bit overkill at the moment...

What about starting the client from the command line with the --rescan flag? If you are on Linux the command line shouldn't be too foreign to you, and if you are synced with the blockchain rescanning is surprisingly fast.

titus (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 12:57:44 PM

Atruk, to answer your question, I believe I was using 0.3.something, and no, I don't think it was synced.  I believe at one point the old client said something along the lines of 0/not connected? or 0/unconnected?

And thanks, I'll give --rescan a shot when I get back home.
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 01:20:57 PM

Backup your wallet before you do anything.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 01:45:57 PM

The transaction I tried to send (ea0491518bb8c52f1ba514a67d5c67db0ed8ab70b78b2a19d1e1de5c9edc95c8 to address

I don't see that transaction on Blockchain.info so either the transaction is an invalid transaction or it simply hasn't been broadcast yet.  The client doesn't give an easy way to tell which of those two it is, but if you leave the client running for about a half hour or so it will re-broadcast any transactions made that haven't yet gotten a confirmation.

Of course, if your blockchain hasn't synced then the balance shown won't necessarily be correct.  It is pretty difficult to create an invalid transaction yourself [Edit: with the Bitcoin-Qt client] unless maybe you are running the client in two separate places and spend from both without the blockchain having gotten synced first.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

titus (OP)

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 11:23:05 AM

tl;dr - The transaction finally went through.

Rescan didn't resolve the issue. After it completed I started getting an "unable to open wallet" error, which I googled and found some mention of having a corrupt block chain. So I deleted everything except wallet.dat and had the client resync. As that was taking awhile, I went to bed.

This morning I get up and see the same "unable to open wallet" error.  I restart the client, and it looks like syncing to the block chain never completed (about 6k blocks left).  BUT, I also have an email from Coinbase saying I received my bitcoins. Happened after I went to bed.

I guess I just needed to leave the client running.

Thanks for the help.
ondratra

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 12:31:26 AM

I have a same situation right now. I hope just running client will ensure retransmition - gonna write results later for anyone having the same issue.

Edit: yep. Everything fixed just by running client.
Malok

Activity: 55

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 12:52:19 AM

Always scary whenever you start running into Wallet issues (and frustrating too!).

Glad to hear that you were able to get things working properly!  Smiley
Mercator

Activity: 17

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 07:59:41 PM

I had a similar situation.

I extracted my private key and imported it into a new wallet and re-synced - all went well.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: