Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:51:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hosting a bitcoin 'game' site  (Read 1012 times)
shamntalk (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

BTC

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 07:08:10 PM

Hi!  Grin

Is bitcoin gaming considered 'gambling'?
In which case 99% of the hosts out there won't talk to you, AWS the first one.

Do you know where to host something like bitzino? (maybe the good people at bitzino might even show up and let us know Smiley)

Oh and last question I swear  Cheesy - does bitcoin gambling require a license?

Thank you!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bluedye

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 07:14:04 PM

Hi!  Grin

In which case 99% of the hosts out there won't talk to you, AWS the first one.

Do you know where to host something like bitzino? (maybe the good people at bitzino might even show up and let us know Smiley)

Oh and last question I swear  Cheesy - does bitcoin gambling require a license?

Thank you!

Any LEGAL gambling site will require a license. No offense intended but you seem to know very little about AML, KYC and general gambling laws in specific territories. Do your homework and then reconsider. Just my 2 cents...

p.s. if you are thinking of doing it illegal, well that is a very different story.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 08:06:22 PM

Many of the current sites are "play money", so they are claiming/hoping it is fully legal.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 09:03:11 PM

Yes.

Do you know where to host something like bitzino?

In your basement?

does bitcoin gambling require a license?

It depends on your jurisdiction, but generally if you want to do it legally, yes.
bluedye

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 10:55:44 PM

Out of interest anybody know how much it would cost to design say a poker or gambling site integrated with BTC?
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 11:04:32 PM

Out of interest anybody know how much it would cost to design say a poker or gambling site integrated with BTC?

I got a quote from one company in Eastern Europe (they are somewhat familiar with the concept of BTC) that it would cost ~$3000. Obviously the cost will largely depend on what the site and software should include and I'm sure a Western company would charge more.

As for the law I presume you are in the US, as far as I know subscription-based poker site would be legal.

I have a question to those acquainted with bitcoin poker sites, which one is the most reputable (= non-scammy) that offers the Texas Hold'em variation?

Signature space available for rent.
bluedye

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 11:11:36 PM

I got a quote from one company in Eastern Europe (they are somewhat familiar with the concept of BTC) that it would cost ~$3000. Obviously the cost will largely depend on what the site and software should include and I'm sure a Western company would charge more.

As for the law I presume you are in the US, as far as I know subscription-based poker site would be legal.

What is the difference between subscription-based poker site vs normal poker site (e.g. poker stars)?

I considered setting a legal one up but fell short at the web-designing stage. That price of $3000 seems reasonable. I assume that company was willing to allow you to keep your anonymity or was it a fully project you had in mind? Would you or anyone with depth in knowledge on the subject care to discuss by PM?

EDIT: A reputable poker site is supposedly sealswithclubs.eu
ryanbrownstar

Activity: 13

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2013, 11:44:04 PM

+1 for SwC.  Fun site, good community, hourly free tournaments and tons of low entry/low stakes games. 
DarkBet

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 10:30:45 PM

What is the difference between subscription-based poker site vs normal poker site (e.g. poker stars)?

I considered setting a legal one up but fell short at the web-designing stage. That price of $3000 seems reasonable. I assume that company was willing to allow you to keep your anonymity or was it a fully project you had in mind? Would you or anyone with depth in knowledge on the subject care to discuss by PM?

EDIT: A reputable poker site is supposedly sealswithclubs.eu

Hi there,

Im currently on a team that's developing a gambling platform actually and I don't think its possible to get anything workable for $3000 at all. Your best bet would would be to wait until there are more poker/gambling services on the market and make some sort of affiliate/skin agreement or similar. (Within a year there will likely be a couple big providers)

If building/owning it yourself is the goal and you want to offer a safe, competitive and bug free poker service I would say a min budget would be $40,000 at the absolute minimum If its software based,  maybe a little less if its some inbuilt flash thing.

Take SWC for example, although their original platform was free they have put in a massive amount of effort of 2+ years probably and someone there definitely knows what they are doing. Its not easy and it requires a lot of knowledge.

My advice to you before getting into anything would be to research a lot. There are so many things people aren't aware of when it comes to poker sites, for example what needed in terms of CMS and how to fully secure a service like this.

Then there is the legal aspect, servers, and all sorts of fraud/collusion preventions needed.
When it comes to licensing it depends, mostly on location and what happens  in the next months/years. Could very well be that licensing becomes the norm, and then to be competitive you will need to jump onboard that train as well. ($10,000+ yearly)

If you happen to have any question feel free to email me though, would be happy to give some advice. The more bitcoin gambling sites there are out there, the better it is for the bitcoins growth and everyone here Smiley

Edit: whops quoted wrong guy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: