Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:42:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinlab Bringing Bitcoin to Wall Street with MtGox Deal  (Read 7880 times)
meebs

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 11:10:33 PM

chimminy christmas.. and here us coinlab miners were wondering if this company was going to do anything with that gpu compute thing and the pool...

then BAM! they're the new mtgox.

I'm excited about this though. buying/selling needs to be made a LOT easier for increased trading.

▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄
           ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄
        ▄██████▀▀             ▀▀██████▄
      ▄█████▀▀                    ▀▀█████▄
     █████▀                          ▀█████
    ████▀          ▄▄███████▄▄         ▀████
   ████▌        ▄██▀▀▀    ▀▀▀██▄        ▐████
  ████▌       ▄██▀            ▀██▄       ▐████
 ▐████       ██▀   ▄▄█▀▀▀█▄▄    ▀██       ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▀  ▄▄   ▀▀             ▐████
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
▐████       ██  ▐█  ▐█                     ████▌
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▄  ▀▀   ▄▄    ██▀      ▐████
 ▐████       ██▄   ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀    ██▌       ████▌
  █████       ▀██▄            ▄██▀       █████
   █████        ▀██▄▄▄    ▄▄▄██▀        █████
    █████          ▀▀███████▀▀         █████
     █████▄                          ▄█████
      ▀█████▄▄                    ▄▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄             ▄▄██████▀
           ▀████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀
              ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀▀
Global Cryptocurrency
          ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

DECENTRALISING PRODUCTION, LOGISTICS AND PAYMENT 
                ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   3D SERVICE      32 BAY     GCC WEBWALLET
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 11:23:01 PM

It's not bad business to wave off 2 in the bush for 1 in the hand, especially if you know you got your hands full!

You shouldn't own a business without first being prepared for success.

If you can't handle a business as the sole proprietor and employee, then hire people who can help handle the workload. If you are incapable of doing that, then you shouldn't be a business owner in the first place IMO.

Zomdifros

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 11:41:12 PM

It's not bad business to wave off 2 in the bush for 1 in the hand, especially if you know you got your hands full!

If you can't handle a business as the sole proprietor and employee, then hire people who can help handle the workload. If you are incapable of doing that, then you shouldn't be a business owner in the first place IMO.

Yes, but there is a difference between what people 'should' and 'ought' to do and the dreadful day-to-day reality where it may just happen that the right people aren't always in the right position. The market can fix that and it seems to have done so now.

Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 01:03:26 AM

Oh, come on. Have a little perspective. Scaling is hard. This CoinLab deal is a pretty decent solution.

Even Larry and Sergei brought in a new CEO to handle Google's mega-growth phase. Smart business operators realize their own limitations and proactively seek solutions. I agree with Mike that that's what Karpeles did here.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
xcsler

Activity: 227

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 02:10:46 AM

Regulation, when it comes to Bitcoin, will always be an option, not an obligatory quality.

Complying with the law and paying taxes makes sure that there is absolutely no legal ground for any western government to ban Bitcoin. No government would be able to bring the network down of course, but any ban would hurt businesses using Bitcoin significantly.

I can imagine a future where Bitcoin is seamlessly integrated in the existing banking world, with ordinary consumers hardly noticing the difference yet without ever having to worry about inflation. Only the early bitcoiners would still access the blockchain directly.

I am pretty confident we are the new wealthy elite, gentlemen.

At this point, how many coins does one need to be considered the new wealthy elite?  Wink
annette786

Activity: 160

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 02:31:36 AM

The risk of a problem with MtGox has been the greatest risk in Bitcoin's recent rise to stardom, and this is a plausible (and exciting) fix for that.  

Nailed it!

Note though, I am coming from a perspective of understanding to some extent how business actually works, and not some pie in the sky fantasy of how MtGox should be some sort of anarchist stronghold waging some kind of cyber war with the big bad government and banks.  Those who are saying "this sucks, Bitcoin as we know it is ruined" ought to sell their coins now and get out while they are ahead!

I suspect most of them have already sold.
notig (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 02:53:08 AM

I agree with casascius and I'd even go further.. I think this is amazing news.  At the same time I am kind of sad with all this good news floating in too soon....  before I could get as many coins as I wanted.
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 03:00:13 AM

At this point, how many coins does one need to be considered the new wealthy elite?  Wink

About 7.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
notig (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 03:08:37 AM

a pertinent post I saw on reddit:

From what I understand of how the international banking system works, whenever a foreign bank holds USD (i.e. mt.gox bank that you wire your USD to), what's actually happening is their bank has partner bank in the US that holds their USD for them. So it would already be possible to seize or prevent Mt.Gox from transacting in USD the way it's set up now. This move would just simplify the process for US customers as there would be no foreign intermediary bank involved.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 05:44:16 AM

I'd put the figure at whatever number can be mined in one day.  This is admittedly pretty arbitrary.

So if one has, say, around 1800 BTC now, they might be in the 'wealthy elite' category in a little under 4 years.  If they don't sell or lose them, or if the system does not collapse that is.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 06:37:35 AM

About 7.

Unless you place them in Lambert Investment Funds on GLBSE. In that case you would need 507. 500 to throw away on a fucking worthless scam with 7 saved to be the wealthy elite.

I can’t believe people here don’t understand that Gox is already in U.S. held territory. They are in Japan after all! Here's a link to the Japanese government’s official website: http://www.usfj.mil/ 

LOL

xcsler

Activity: 227

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 03:47:12 PM

I'd put the figure at whatever number can be mined in one day.  This is admittedly pretty arbitrary.

So if one has, say, around 1800 BTC now, they might be in the 'wealthy elite' category in a little under 4 years.  If they don't sell or lose them, or if the system does not collapse that is.

I guess we have a new metric to measure one's wealth: "BTC Mine-days"
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 05:09:16 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2013, 05:24:13 PM by jgarzik

Just to highlight some text from http://coinlab.com/transition

Q. What if I don't want to be a CoinLab customer? Can I stay with Mt. Gox if I'm in the US or Canada?

A. We'll miss you, but you can always leave us. If you are in the US/Canada, you can't stick with Mt. Gox, though. Part of our agreement with Mt. Gox is super-strict about locale: Mt. Gox really wants to be 100% out of the US/Canada market.

Presumably that is because foreign regulatory hassles are significant, and having a US partner to handle that is greatly preferred by MtGox.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Monster Tent

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 10:42:03 PM

jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 12:35:39 PM

I noticed tijan seale, former bitcoinica investor now is an investor at coinlab.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 04:52:20 PM

I noticed tijan seale, former bitcoinica investor now is an investor at coinlab.

The expression 'glutton for punishment' comes to mind.

Actually this is pretty promising if one hopes to use Coinlab because if there is one person who is going to be demanding due diligence with an eye toward spotting technically incompetent clowns it would probably be Tijan Seale.  After the Bitcoin Consultancy set of fiascoes and all that.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
No_2

Activity: 901
Merit: 1033

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 11:31:03 PM

I agree with casascius and I'd even go further.. I think this is amazing news.  At the same time I am kind of sad with all this good news floating in too soon....  before I could get as many coins as I wanted.

+1
No_2

Activity: 901
Merit: 1033

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 11:51:16 PM

Bitcoin magazine states that the aim is to have customer's money moved to Silicon Valley Bank by March 22nd. The Coinlab official Transition Plan press release page states that they are aiming to provide services to customers on March 31st.

When US and Canadian citizens are able to do a direct bank transfer to buy Bitcoins I'm assuming this will remove a barrier to access and produce a requisite increase in the price of Bitcoin.

So my question is: what date will this capability come on-line for US and Canadian citizens? Please site sources if possible.
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 02:06:27 PM

Bitcoin magazine states that the aim is to have customer's money moved to Silicon Valley Bank by March 22nd. The Coinlab official Transition Plan press release page states that they are aiming to provide services to customers on March 31st.

When US and Canadian citizens are able to do a direct bank transfer to buy Bitcoins I'm assuming this will remove a barrier to access and produce a requisite increase in the price of Bitcoin.

So my question is: what date will this capability come on-line for US and Canadian citizens? Please site sources if possible.

So instead of going Bank-->Dwolla-->MtGox-->Bitcoin, we in the US will be able to just go Bank-->MtGox-->Bitcoin?

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
coinuser4000

Activity: 128
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 05:33:42 AM

This is terrible news for alll the CAN and US people who want to avoid using banks altogether.

All I see lately is more and more moves toward centralization and regulation. I started with bitcoin because you could circumvent all this government oversight garbage.

cointorox ✦ 
✓   Your Digital Piggy Bank Cryptocurrency, Simplified. ✓  
✦ ────────  Website ⬝  Facebook ⬝   Twitter ⬝  Telegram ⬝  Medium   ──────── ✦
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: