Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:33:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Monero's Problem?  (Read 3331 times)
traumschiff
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1001

180 BPM

View Profile
May 16, 2016, 02:55:12 PM

I see that the usual Monero supporters are flowing in and try to go off-topic, but the thread is still "What is Monero's Problem?". Please try to throw in your ideas/bulletpoints and don't come with the "Monero is pefect as is", the price action seems to indicate something else.

OK, Moneros problem is that Monero holders dont want to get rich fast.

Or, hmm, maybe that is not a problem at all.

As i stated before. Bitcoin talk Forum problem are such thread like this and the group of people that makes them. Since they want that their coins which have most likely no use, gain value.

And 3/4  people that "flow" in this thread are them.  

"usual Monero supporters" are a minority in such threads as usually.

So your opinion is that Monero is perfect as it is right now, both as a currency and as a store of value?

Please stay on topic. I didn't really see anyone advertise anything here, Smooth was the first to mention 2 competitor coins.

The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
prettybuds (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 16, 2016, 02:57:37 PM

Isn't the premise of being a Monero community member that you absolutely by all means have to unconditionally love the coin and praise its perfection? It is perfect! Cause it is Monero. Ask Riesto if he's not currently in therapy and he'll confirm. Thank you.
DaveyJones

Activity: 768
Merit: 505

View Profile
May 16, 2016, 03:02:51 PM

Isn't the premise of being a Monero community member that you absolutely by all means have to unconditionally love the coin and praise its perfection? It is perfect! Cause it is Monero. Ask Riesto if he's not currently in therapy and he'll confirm. Thank you.

oh another sockpuppet in the making? Register Date April 2016 but pointing on the old risto therapy story? Nice to out yourself
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
May 16, 2016, 03:05:15 PM
Last edit: May 16, 2016, 03:18:14 PM by Febo

@traumschiff

None currency is perfect. Just browse this forum and you will see that Monero can advance in myna fields.

Thread was started to FUD Monero by soem other coin shill. With only reason so in this thread or another will be said that Monero shills spam forum. That is marketing  it seems many or just soem coins use. You can call it "advertising" if you like.

@prettybuds

Monero is just a anon coin you dont need to love it lol.
But again, is time that same group of people stop spreading lies as they do last 2 years. If I reply on your thread and your friends threads and ask to stop making new threads like this, that is not "unconditionally love", but is a common sense.

I know it will not help since that is your coin marketing. lol
prettybuds (OP)

Activity: 280

View Profile
May 16, 2016, 03:05:56 PM

oh another sockpuppet in the making? Register Date April 2016 but pointing on the old risto therapy story? Nice to out yourself

I've been reading Bitcointalk since 2012. Wink

I didn't know you yet however, nice to meet you!

Besides! I personally don't really care about any anon coin, I dunno why you people always think anyone posting is a supporter of any anon coin.
Laniakea

Activity: 140

View Profile
May 16, 2016, 03:12:32 PM

I personally don't really care about any anon coin

You are doomed! The only coin of the future is Monero, it runs hella smooth. Understand that already.

/s

traumschiff
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1001

180 BPM

View Profile
May 16, 2016, 03:28:03 PM

@traumschiff

None currency is perfect. Just browse this forum and you will see that Monero can advance in myna fields.

Out of curiosity, what fields exactly? Also what are your thoughts on Monero as a technologically viable currency or a store of value?

And what would be Monero's potential problems?

Doesn't matter what the OPs motivation for the thread is, he asked a question. Nothing wrong with the question.

Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
May 16, 2016, 03:48:07 PM

@traumschiff

Out of curiosity, what fields exactly? Also what are your thoughts on Monero as a technologically viable currency or a store of value?

And what would be Monero's potential problems?

Doesn't matter what the OPs motivation for the thread is, he asked a question. Nothing wrong with the question.

On my opinion OP motivations matters a lot. Normally any question you started can be asked in ANN thread, no need to open such threads daily. I suggest you to read ANN thread a bit and you will find many "thoughts on Monero as a technologically viable currency or a store of value?" and also many problems Monero surpassed and also many "Monero's potential problems?"  My personal opinion of this 2 matters have little weight. If at any time i will fell to statue any i will do it there.
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2016, 04:36:45 PM

I see that the usual Monero supporters are flowing in and try to go off-topic, but the thread is still "What is Monero's Problem?". Please try to throw in your ideas/bulletpoints and don't come with the "Monero is pefect as is", the price action seems to indicate something else.

Good call. As a "monero supporter", but in general a cryptocurrency supporter looking for a viable solution for a trustless, decentralized value storage and transfer system, I think the problems with Monero are as follows:

1) Difficult and purposefully obfuscated inherited codebase.

Because Monero was forked from bytecoin, and in an attempt to secure their code from forks and/or hide the scamminess (de-optimized miner, for example) the bytecoin developers removed all comments from the code, Monero is notoriously difficult to develop. I have witnessed numbers of developers pop into the IRC channel and have an interest in working on the code, only to be met with "Yeah, thats not documented that well and the dude that knows that section isn't here right now, but if you stick around they'll probably pop back in."

This problem is slowly getting better through the natural process of monero developers commenting code as they improve the software, and the direct funding of developers to painstakingly go through the codebase and document it. See here: https://forum.getmonero.org/22/completed-tasks/2373/documentation-and-cleanup-of-source-code

2) "The Monero Problem" that I outlined here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1139756.msg14588629#msg14588629

This might actually be a cool cryptography problem that is borne of the fact that for a ring signature, you need to select outputs, and the distribution of output selection might lead to information leak of some kind. I was hoping this would intrigue TPTB_need_war, but it didn't. Oh well. I think i came across a good search term "cryptography subset selection" might have led me to one article in the literature, but there wasn't much else.

The solution to this problem is being actively researched (or at least thought about) by some people.

3) Auto fee adjustment

I hold the opinion that the best cryptocurrency network is the network that does not need human intervention to adapt to existing conditions. Currently, most (all?) cryptocurrency networks use a minimum transaction fee mechanisms as a means to prevent network flooding. This minimum fee requires manual adjusting as the "fiat" price of the currency changes. How to automatically adjust this fee is a matter of ongoing research.

In my opinion, these are the 3 primary technical hurdles.

The rest of Monero's "problems" relate to the unique result of fusing free open source software directly to money.

Edited to add:
I'll add a final problem. I can't code. This tech fascinates me so much if I could turn my thoughts into bits there'd probably be another 100 commits, at least. Instead I just write bash scripts to make it easier for others to use.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
aleix
Legendary

Activity: 1779
Merit: 1100

View Profile
May 16, 2016, 04:48:32 PM

It wasnt the what that bugged me, It was the how.

having a conversation on forums about the ethics of crypto, or its possibilites is much different than being bullied by a group of XMR supporters who quickly take any conversation in the direction of screaming REKT!!! or SCAM!!

looks like you have built enough enemies now that you will feel the backlash of all the mistrust and anger that your tactics have created. 

exactly
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 16, 2016, 07:49:05 PM

Except that it really doesn't. Who is to say what the "right" price should be? If Monero had lost 99.9% of its value and were trading at $10K market cap from the usual range these days of $9 or $10 million, then you would have a point. But it hasn't and you don't.

Of course Monero isn't perfect, that's silly. But if your measure of success and merit is "price action", then we all just stick with Bitcoin (priced at anywhere from ten times to a million times higher than anything else) and forget all the rest, which many cryptocurrency advocates literally believe to be fair.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2016, 07:53:09 PM

Monero's problem? Look at the chart 3 posts above Cheesy

So the problem is that cryptocurrencies are volatile? What did Dash just do in the past 24 hours, or what Ethereum does on a regular basis, or Bitcoin occasionally (though it seems to have lost a bit of a its volatility recently) or any of the others that people actually pay attention to. The only ones with really, really low volatility are the flatline ones.

WTF, seriously?!
EmilioMann
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1028

#mitandopelomundo

View Profile
May 16, 2016, 08:37:53 PM

Just an addendum:
Exploit 13 was found and reported by John Connor to monero devs months ago.
Even after the devs and trolls from monero community try to destroy Vcash with fud and lies, John Connor informed the exploit because he thought that would be able to make the worms stop with their slanders.
Well, he saved monero once the problem was solved, but after this the trolls and fudders unscrupulous and without ethics back to attack him again
Now, after a new thread was created by smooth to slander JC and Vcash, he found other 12 zeroday exploits.
Do you really think he will help monero community again?
EmilioMann
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1028

#mitandopelomundo

View Profile
May 16, 2016, 08:57:01 PM

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2016, 09:01:26 PM

Exploit 13 was found and reported by John Connor to monero devs months ago.

It was not.

We received no reports from him about anything. He's provided no proof of anything beyond commenting on a vulnerability after it was already public.

Even after Craig Wright, people still fall for this shit?
Attack.of.the.Clones

Activity: 151

View Profile
May 18, 2016, 09:24:51 AM

What is Monero's Problem?

Some of the monero most prominent members act like bullies in the Bitcointalk forums. And that's a shame.

I think monero supporters have a fair launched PoW coin to spruke, which compared to many scam coins, is far superior, so they're in the right in arguments, so can come across 'strong'
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: