Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:18:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Serious Concern: The Rise of "Other" bitcoin miners?  (Read 1562 times)
niemivh (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 09:11:58 PM

http://www.bitcoinwatch.com/

Anyone concerned that the "Other" portion of mining operation has skyrocketed in the past 24 hours?  This is an order of magnitude increase.

Is it possible that a private or governmental agency could be doing this to 'fork the block' and destroy BTC?

I'll keep my politics out of your economics if you keep your economics out of my politics.

16LdMA6pCgq9ULrstHmiwwwbGe1BJQyDqr

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Rob P.

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2011, 09:28:37 PM

The large mining pools are being DDoSed.  Therefore their hashrates drop as a percentage of the total hash pool.
Also, as miners cannot connect to pools, they go solo, so the "Other" portion rises significantly as a percentage.

When the pools are back online, the miners will move back, and then you can post about how you're concerned Deepbit is 51% of the pool.

--

If you like what I've written here, consider tipping the messenger:
1GZu4CtHa6ai8iWoWiVFxV5VVoNte4SkoG

If you don't like what I've written, send me a Tip and I'll stop talking.
Chick

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 10:36:43 PM

The large mining pools are being DDoSed.  Therefore their hashrates drop as a percentage of the total hash pool.
Also, as miners cannot connect to pools, they go solo, so the "Other" portion rises significantly as a percentage.

When the pools are back online, the miners will move back, and then you can post about how you're concerned Deepbit is 51% of the pool.

OMG! THE "OTHER" MINERS HAVE MORE THAN 50% OF THE POOL!

onesalt

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 10:44:24 PM

Anyone concerned that the "Other" portion of mining operation has skyrocketed in the past 24 hours?  This is an order of magnitude increase.

Is it possible that a private or governmental agency could be doing this to 'fork the block' and destroy BTC?

So what you're saying is that because someone other than you is mining bitcoins it must be a government conspiracy? Thats fucking insane, man.
Dude65535

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 10:44:59 PM

Slush's pool is still up but not on the pie chart so that is a large chunk of other.

1DCj8ZwGZXQqQhgv6eUEnWgsxo8BTMj3mT
rezin777

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 10:53:42 PM

Come on people, learn how the pie chart works before posting this silly stuff.

Concerned about other? Ha...

I wish the whole chart was other.
niemivh (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:07:07 PM

I'm concerned that Deepbit has 51% of the pool.

I'll keep my politics out of your economics if you keep your economics out of my politics.

niemivh (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:09:19 PM

So what you're saying is that because someone other than you is mining bitcoins it must be a government conspiracy? Thats fucking insane, man.

How do you propose that the government or other interested party is going to shut this down?  Go over to BTC Bank politely knock on their door and ask for them to cease and desist?

onesalt

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:15:15 PM

How do you propose that the government or other interested party is going to shut this down?  Go over to BTC Bank politely knock on their door and ask for them to cease and desist?

Again the fact you automatically assume that because something isn't exactly what you expect you assume the government is somehow out to get you just shows how deluded you are, jesus christ. It's people like you that make everyone think that bitcoin is just for anti-establishment anarchists.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: