Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 09:25:58 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: US and Canadian users no longer allowed to use MtGox directly?  (Read 4075 times)
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 10:55:40 PM

Bye, Bye Mt. Gox.

i never verified my account and currently have no balance in my account, so I plan to abandon it.

if they are bringing over accounts automatically, i am presuming this will include the account history.

i wonder how many people will be filing amended tax returns as a result.
wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 10:58:56 PM

i never verified my account and currently have no balance in my account, so I plan to abandon it.

if they are bringing over accounts automatically, i am presuming this will include the account history.

Shit... until it's April I don't even think about what I owe in Taxes. That's a problem to worry about in a month and a half.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
Bitobsessed

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 11:49:42 PM

How about hiring someboy?

Yeah...depends on who you are.

If you're well connected and went to a big name school and this is your fifth business venture, then finding the talented somebody is much easier than if you're a computer guy who started a business with your own code and your own hands and still trying to get over the fact that you're holding millions and soon to be tens or hundreds of millions of dollars of somebody else's money you never dreamed you'd be doing so soon.  It's not like you just place an ad on monster.com and suddenly talented trustworthy people show up and self-identify at your door - learning how to pick candidates worth hiring to fill jobs dealing with lots of real money is an acquired skill that takes years.

I guess I can see your point.  They might be getting a little over their head with the amount of money that could soon flow into Bitcoin.  I also agree, just hiring more people and expanding your business is sometimes very risky.  I just had a conversation with a friend and his business just got an offer for a large contract for more work than they have ever had at one time.  He is not sure what to do.  This is a business that has been around for 20 years and he has intentionally kept it small (less than 15 employees) despite the fact that he could have expanded at any time.  Their profits are better when they are smaller.  The whole insurance thing for more than 20-25 employees(can't remember the exact number) is another story...
evolve (OP)

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 11:59:44 PM

Cross-posted from the other thread:

You shouldn't own a business without first being prepared for success.

If you can't handle a business as the sole proprietor and employee, then hire people who can help handle the workload. If you are incapable of doing that, then you shouldn't be a business owner in the first place IMO.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 12:08:24 AM

I wonder who'll end up with Bitcoinica's account.

If you can't handle a business as the sole proprietor and employee, then hire people who can help handle the workload. If you are incapable of doing that, then you shouldn't be a business owner in the first place IMO.

Lots of corporations use the "bubble" model of hiving off successful divisions into entities which are separate from the parent.  It's a legitimate way to manage risk.  Having a US-based entity deal with US regulatory issues is an alternative to MtGox always looking over it's shoulder and having its non-US operations at risk.  MtGox looked into setting up a US presence themselves last year and the regulatory requirements would have made it enormously expensive.  This way, MtGox gets some benefits while someone else shoulders most of the risk.

Not every business desires to become a mega-corporation.  It's possible that all of these small businesses which have common players may eventually be brought together under a single corporate umbrella, though.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
vampire

Activity: 574

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 12:14:19 AM

So if I am not verified with Mtgox, how would they know that I am in US? There is no option to specify address.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2013, 12:19:01 AM

Cross-posted from the other thread:

You shouldn't own a business without first being prepared for success.

Right, just like the Wright Bros should have never attempted powered flight without first acquiring the means and the tools to manufacture a 747.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 12:23:29 AM

Good God!  Institutional investors flowing into Bitcoin could only mean another massive rally.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 12:24:26 AM

For your account to be brought over to CoinLab, you'll first need to accept CoinLab's ToS.
evolve (OP)

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 12:27:36 AM

Lots of corporations use the "bubble" model of hiving off successful divisions into entities which are separate from the parent.  It's a legitimate way to manage risk.  Having a US-based entity deal with US regulatory issues is an alternative to MtGox always looking over it's shoulder and having its non-US operations at risk.  MtGox looked into setting up a US presence themselves last year and the regulatory requirements would have made it enormously expensive.  This way, MtGox gets some benefits while someone else shoulders most of the risk.

Not every business desires to become a mega-corporation.  It's possible that all of these small businesses which have common players may eventually be brought together under a single corporate umbrella, though.

I agree, I believe that this was probably done to alleviate Mt.Gox's tax/legal liability. I was replying to casacius' last couple posts, not the situation in general.

Right, just like the Wright Bros should have never attempted powered flight without first acquiring the means and the tools to manufacture a 747.
This is a really bad analogy, and this whole thing is an unnecessary derail. We will just have to agree to disagree.
Digigami

Activity: 462

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 12:28:28 AM

For your account to be brought over to CoinLab, you'll first need to accept CoinLab's ToS.

Is there some way in which users whom do not wish to be clients of CoinLab, and also no longer your client could have all account information and history removed from your systems?
Luno

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 12:30:21 AM

Americans are by far the largest buyers on Mt.Gox. If they are taken out and have to trade with a third party, who sets the price of Bitcoin then?

Take a minute to think about this!
MagicalTux
VIP

-

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 12:33:21 AM

Is there some way in which users whom do not wish to be clients of CoinLab, and also no longer your client could have all account information and history removed from your systems?

You can opt to have your account deleted. Once deletion request is made, nominative data is kept for another 30 days before being freed. No nominative data is kept with MtGox in this case, but some other data may stay around: deposits and withdrawal data is kept at least 15 years by our bank (we only keep transaction numbers on a long term), history data is kept 7 years by MtGox (required by law), and trades you caused are kept forever (it's part of the public data feed and likely replicated over many many people).
MagicalTux
VIP

-

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 12:34:05 AM

Americans are by far the largest buyers on Mt.Gox. If they are taken out and have to trade with a third party, who sets the price of Bitcoin then?

American/Canadian traders still trade on the same market as before, and will continue to be able to use MtGox.com. What changes is the ToS that will no longer be between you and MtGox Co. Ltd., but between you and CoinLab.
evolve (OP)

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 12:36:13 AM

Will their be any changes in fees?

MagicalTux
VIP

-

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 12:37:15 AM

Will their be any changes in fees?

No change at first, however we will work with Coinlab to release a new fee schedule for everyone (with the increasing bitcoin price, our current fee schedule is not adapted anymore as many pointed out).
evolve (OP)

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 12:38:47 AM

Will US and CAN customers be paying higher fees than customers in other countries?
MagicalTux
VIP

-

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 12:39:37 AM

Will US and CAN customers be paying higher fees than customers in other countries?

No.
evolve (OP)

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 12:43:12 AM

Thank you for answering my questions.

I'm still not overly happy about hearing this in a forum post (instead of a direct statement from Mt.Gox), or the short amount of time that this is going to be implemented in (more notice would've been nice), but I appreciate you coming here and clearing up any misconceptions.
Luno

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 12:44:02 AM

American/Canadian traders still trade on the same market as before, and will continue to be able to use MtGox.com. What changes is the ToS that will no longer be between you and MtGox Co. Ltd., but between you and CoinLab.

/

I'm wrong then; only deposits / withdrawals are handled by Coinlab, but you keep your trading account?

There still is an increase in the delay before money ends on the exchange i would think?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: