Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 08:29:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Creating a paper wallet using My Wallet  (Read 623 times)
FandangledGizmo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1138
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 10:24:43 PM

Hi guys,

I'm a tech noob obviously but can see that the BTC is pretty amazing

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I looked at the following tutorial

https://blockchain.info/wallet/paper-tutorial

Step 1: I opened up a private browsing window in google chrome

Step 2: Disconnected from the internet

Step 3: Generate a new Address, the new address reads (not synced) as they said it would.

Step 4: It says 'On the main navigation bar click on [Import / Export] then on the [Paper Wallet] tab then print the page.'

Here is where I have problems

When I click on Import/Export Tab it asks me to re-type my password, which they don't mention, I do

The Screen is blank, there is no 'Paper Wallet' tab?

Any suggestions?
Do I have to turn the internet back on? then go to the import/export tab.
Won't this compromise the security?

Thanks

FandangledGizmo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 11:01:15 PM

Also another very basic question

When I click on Paper Wallet in online mode it shows the address and the private key underneath.

Are those two numbers all you need? Not necessarily the barcode which is just a representation of them right?

So if I memorised the private key and the address I could send BTC to that address and then at some point in the future just enter the address and private key which I memorised on a Bitcoin client/app to send coins out of that address?

I read something about needing to back up the wallet & a 100 keys? So if I sent BTC to that address over 100 times would I lose some of the BTC if I hadn't put the Address and the private key together in a Bitcoin client/app for many years? 
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 4759

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 04:33:00 AM

When I click on Paper Wallet in online mode it shows the address and the private key underneath.

Are those two numbers all you need?

Correct.

So if I memorised the private key and the address I could send BTC to that address and then at some point in the future just enter the address and private key which I memorised on a Bitcoin client/app to send coins out of that address?

Correct.

I read something about needing to back up the wallet & a 100 keys?

This is in reference to the Bitcoin-Qt wallet.  Each time you send a transaction from that wallet it uses a new address to send the change back to the wallet.  The wallet maintains a pool of 100 unused addresses, so a backup will have the next 100 addresses that the wallet will use.  If you are only receiving transactions, then you can use a single address (or however many you want to use) and send to that address as many times as you like.

FandangledGizmo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 08:35:16 PM

Thanks very much for the reply really helped!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: