Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:29:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: French Angora Wool  (Read 1764 times)
zkay (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 05:36:54 AM
Last edit: March 03, 2013, 08:55:55 PM by zkay

Hello

My wife and I run a rabbitry and we are wondering if there is any interest from anyone here in buying either raw wool or spun yarn made from our French Angora rabbits!

Many people are under the misconception that the rabbit is harmed in some way to harvest the fur, but they are infact simply combed and the results are bagged and kept for later use. Angora wool is the warmest natural fiber on earth.

I am able to supply:

-Raw fiber clippings 2.5-3 inches in length for $5/oz.
-First quality pluckings 3"+ in length for $7/oz.

Currently we don't have any pluckings or finished skeins available, but we do have clippings. Pluckings will be available again in the spring.

Fiber is separated by color, and we have dozens to choose from.

We go out of our way to treat our animals fairly and respectfully. Our rabbits are raised in colony - meaning they have complete run of an area to themselves. They are not kept in cages. Many breeders use wire crates that hurt the animal's feet, never removing them from the cage and sometimes never even touching the rabbit unless it is in dire need. We visit with our rabbits daily and make it a point to socialize them early and thoroughly.

Thanks for looking.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 10:19:29 AM

This is cruel and inhumane.
Aahzman

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 05:26:50 PM

"Many people are under the misconception that the rabbit is harmed in some way to harvest the fur, but they are infact simply combed".  How would this be any more "cruel and inhumane" than brushing/combing your dog or cat?  Grooming is important for pets, especially long-haired varieties.  Un-shed fur can become matted and cause irritation to the skin, rashes, infections, psoriasis, etc. I brush my cats daily.

tonto

Activity: 609

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 05:30:14 PM

I think he was trying to push your buttons. Smiley
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 05:57:23 PM

Hello

My wife and I run a rabbitry and we are wondering if there is any interest from anyone here in buying either raw wool or spun yarn made from our French Angora rabbits!

Many people are under the misconception that the rabbit is harmed in some way to harvest the fur, but they are infact simply combed and the results are bagged and kept for later use. Angora wool is the warmest natural fiber on earth.

I would write a more descriptive post, but I am trying to gauge interest first.

Thanks for looking.

That's not the animal fiber I'm into - it's horse hair or nothing for me.
Spit and polish for my shiny shoes.
ironcross360

Activity: 140

Troll of the Fourth Reich.

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 06:03:23 PM

DONT YOU ALL KNOW Violin string is made out of sheep intestines? LOL so why not get this?

Hello

Thanks for looking.

Why are you just staring at this? Just send it! 1MHZjADM41ttjbPUiTPYWGYGm45XLf8ZeS
Evan

Activity: 507

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 04:51:52 AM

DONT YOU ALL KNOW Violin string is made out of sheep intestines? LOL so why not get this?

Hello

Thanks for looking.

Cat gut or GFTO.....

How much would you want for what?

I would like to know:
p.p.i
OR
oz per skein, ply, wpi, yds/skein..... yes my mother is a HUGE Knitter.... and well that shit is BURNED INTO MY BRAIN Smiley

I am poor, but i do work for Coin Smiley
1PtHcavXoakgNkQfEQdvnvEksEY2NvwaLM
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 02:54:47 PM

Can you just ship the whole rabbit?
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2013, 02:55:42 PM

This is more humane than you think, get out of you bubble world and stop trolling threads!

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
zkay (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 12:32:49 AM

Hello

Thanks for looking.

Cat gut or GFTO.....

How much would you want for what?

I would like to know:
p.p.i
OR
oz per skein, ply, wpi, yds/skein..... yes my mother is a HUGE Knitter.... and well that shit is BURNED INTO MY BRAIN Smiley

I am able to supply:

-Raw fiber clippings 2.5-3 inches in length for $5/oz. Currently 0.145 BTC/oz.
-First quality pluckings 3"+ in length for $7/oz. Currently 0.202 BTC/oz.

Currently we don't have any pluckings or finished skeins available, but we do have clippings. Pluckings will be available again in the spring.

Fiber is separated by color, and we have dozens to choose from.

This is more humane than you think, get out of you bubble world and stop trolling threads!

Indeed! We go out of our way to treat our animals fairly and respectfully. As I note in my signature, our rabbits are raised in colony - meaning they have complete run of an area to themselves. They are not kept in cages. Many breeders use wire crates that hurt the animal's feet, never removing them from the cage and sometimes never even touching the rabbit unless it is in dire need. We visit with our rabbits daily and make it a point to socialize them early and thoroughly.
zkay (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 12:35:10 AM

This is possible, but only to approved buyers. If you are legitimately interested, please PM for details.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 05:15:46 AM

This is possible, but only to approved buyers. If you are legitimately interested, please PM for details.

Yeah, my rabbit wouldn't be too happy about an additional rabbit in the house, but I've often joked about collecting his hair when he is shedding to make clothing out of. I didn't actually know thats what people did to get angora, I thought you had to wack the rabbit and skin them.
zkay (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 05:37:34 AM

Yeah, my rabbit wouldn't be too happy about an additional rabbit in the house, but I've often joked about collecting his hair when he is shedding to make clothing out of. I didn't actually know thats what people did to get angora, I thought you had to wack the rabbit and skin them.

Many people think the same, but luckily the process is much more humane than that. Several of ours actually like the grooming and volunteer! Though it may have something to do with the treats they are given to make it worth their while to behave. Smiley

But yes, all that is necessary is a comb and a spinning wheel and you can make yarn from a rabbit's wool.
zkay (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 08:56:09 PM

Updated the OP and thread title.
serp

Activity: 245
Merit: 250

@serp

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2013, 09:44:29 PM

My wife knits things.  She says she usually uses about 80 yards which is generally around 3-5 oz (depending on the weight of the yarn) for a scarf.  I don't really know anything about it all but what would it cost to get something equivalent to that?

zkay (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 09:45:23 PM

My wife knits things.  She says she usually uses about 80 yards which is generally around 3-5 oz (depending on the weight of the yarn) for a scarf.  I don't really know anything about it all but what would it cost to get something equivalent to that?

Does your wife have a spinning wheel, or some way to spin the raw wool into yarn?

Currently I don't have any finished skeins of yarn, just the raw bagged wool.
serp

Activity: 245
Merit: 250

@serp

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2013, 10:16:37 PM

Does your wife have a spinning wheel, or some way to spin the raw wool into yarn?

Currently I don't have any finished skeins of yarn, just the raw bagged wool.

No, it would have to be finished skeins.  If you get some, I'd possibly be interested.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: