Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:55:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: what is really going on? why has the value of bitcoin literally jumped 3$  (Read 2011 times)
aznmonky (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 06:27:36 PM

i realize news of the bitcoin atm and start up from silicon valley probably boosted speculation and confidence but what the hell?
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dyaheon

Activity: 121

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 06:39:41 PM

Breaking the all time high released some pressure that had been building up for quite a while. That and the positive newsflow etc.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2013, 07:09:19 PM

Bitcoin is a small market. A single large investor can swing the price one way or another rather easily.

The small amount of the market that is traded on the exchanges is what sets the price. And that is a small percentage of the $400million BTC economy.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 07:15:55 PM

Somebody bought 1 million worth of btc and now giggles at all the dead bears.

I think it's a small move yet compared to what lies right ahead.

i am satoshi
usagi
VIP

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 07:19:26 PM

Bitcoin is being used to represent real world goods and services, and as that representation increases the (essentially) same amount of bitcoins needs to represent the same amount of goods and services. Compound this with the rise of ASICs, bitcoins have become a lot more scarce to people who normally have bitcoins. I predict this will cause a wave. I think, that when ASICs start hitting a lot harder (mid-march) that is when you will see the rally end.

I'd also like to see the velocity of bitcoin increase a lot more than it is now.
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 07:26:12 PM

There is, of course, no way to tell why someone bought $1mil in one go (unless that person comes forward w/evidence of course), but I like to think anyone who buys $1mil USD in one go is either an OTC trader that turns around and sells it to others or a business that is going to start a new BTC venture of some sort.

I really really have hard time thinking it's just one person who is really bored and wants to mess with the minds of people on on little forum

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 07:34:07 PM

Think of bitcoin as a tech stock like google or apple etc in its infancy, then its not so amazing when it is priced at $34 and climbing.

Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 07:41:54 PM

There is, of course, no way to tell why someone bought $1mil in one go (unless that person comes forward w/evidence of course), but I like to think anyone who buys $1mil USD in one go is either an OTC trader that turns around and sells it to others or a business that is going to start a new BTC venture of some sort.

I really really have hard time thinking it's just one person who is really bored and wants to mess with the minds of people on on little forum

Maybe it was someone who was heavily invested in Adam's bet  Grin
mccorvic

Activity: 518

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 07:43:08 PM

Maybe it was someone who was heavily invested in Adam's bet  Grin

Then we are living under the shadow of a mad man, I tell you! A MAD MAN!

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 07:53:44 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=143973.0

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 07:55:07 PM

I don't think anybody cares much about this forum Smiley But there definitely was an organized effort buying out large amounts at market price. Somebody really wanted to break through ATH, for whatever reasons - maybe a calculated move, as right now only proudhon can save BTC from rising to new mad levels; and the force is weak in him.

i am satoshi
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 07:30:35 AM

It's just following the exponential trendline since January, with a little delay near the all-time high, resulting in a little jump to catch up to the trend (revert to the norm).
j05h

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 11:54:22 PM

Think of bitcoin as a tech stock like google or apple etc in its infancy, then its not so amazing when it is priced at $34 and climbing.

A stocks value is based on the value of a company, its earnings, and the dividends that are paid to shareholders. 

I think the reason bitcoins are rising are the speculators buying it as an investment.   But I think also The Silk Road is becoming much more popular.  Its the only thing that bitcoin is really needed for.  People buying bitcoins for the Silk Road aren't putting in a bid on Mtgox and waiting for it to go down to their buy price, they are just buying it for what ever the going rate is, then spending it right away.  I don't think the value of bitcoin can drop more than a few dollars as long as Silk Road exists.  If it gets shut down soon, the value of a bitcoin will probably crash.  If it gets shut down far enough in the future that the bitcoin economy has expanded the value might not drop a lot.

The wait to get verified at Mt.Gox is getting longer and longer.  There is more demand for bitcoin everyday.
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 01:56:52 AM

The last ATH was stopped when Mt Gox got hacked. It might take something like that to destroy confidence again.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 02:31:48 AM

The last ATH was stopped when Mt Gox got hacked. It might take something like that to destroy confidence again.

Give it time... over exuberance will lead to mistakes.  There are plenty of new, large bitcoin holders who haven't had their hacking cherry popped yet.  Hint: keeping a wallet anywhere near a web server is not a good idea.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
aznmonky (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 02:36:15 AM

A stocks value is based on the value of a company, its earnings, and the dividends that are paid to shareholders. 

I think the reason bitcoins are rising are the speculators buying it as an investment.   But I think also The Silk Road is becoming much more popular.  Its the only thing that bitcoin is really needed for.  People buying bitcoins for the Silk Road aren't putting in a bid on Mtgox and waiting for it to go down to their buy price, they are just buying it for what ever the going rate is, then spending it right away.  I don't think the value of bitcoin can drop more than a few dollars as long as Silk Road exists.  If it gets shut down soon, the value of a bitcoin will probably crash.  If it gets shut down far enough in the future that the bitcoin economy has expanded the value might not drop a lot.

The wait to get verified at Mt.Gox is getting longer and longer.  There is more demand for bitcoin everyday.

this is very true the main audience of moving is the dark side while the big players are investors
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 02:38:47 AM

i realize news of the bitcoin atm and start up from silicon valley probably boosted speculation and confidence but what the hell?

translation: "wah I wanna buy bitcoins at $20"

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

aznmonky (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 03:05:24 AM

no i am merely trying to get a better grasp on the value since in my period of familiarization is has spiked and swinged
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 04:01:03 AM

No, the last ATH was a spike that had already receded 30% before the MtGox hack happened.

OP: you should probably get used to expressing price changes in percentages. A swing of $3 is less than 10% now, the history of bitcoin has been filled with many jumps and dips bigger than that. It is just part of having a volatile free market still in price discovery mode. As bitcoin grows, gets used more places by more people, the price will become more stable.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
aznmonky (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 04:03:14 AM

so in theory would you say our <25 days are over?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: