Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 12:51:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Please Explain Saratoshi Dice  (Read 1649 times)
Jaw3bmasters

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Another block in the wall

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 01:18:42 AM

I suppose because they can.  If satoshidice alone is filling our hard disks and connections then we better find a way to fix it now, or there is no way we can deal with more bitcoin adoption.

Here is the thing: Bitcoin doesn't scale too well and isn't ready for that kind of adoption, the network isn't nearly capable of handling a lot of transactions, Satoshi was of the opinion that we need to let the network grow slowly and make changes as we go along and I definitely agree, all of this stress on the network isn't good at all and is going to start causing problems right about now.

What problems exactly?

.....you don't want to raise block size?

In Cryptography we trust.
doobadoo

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 01:25:50 AM

don't play.  its socially irresponsible.  and i'm not speaking out on gambling. gamble all you want, but this game just pollutes the block-chain with worthless tx's.  please.  don't use SPAMDICE!

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees
Jaw3bmasters

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 01:28:39 AM

I've never use the site but this is inevitable.

tango@bitango

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 01:36:56 AM

It's Satoshi Dice, not Saratoshi Dice, I'm building some new bitcoin games that will be way more fun than SD
Jaw3bmasters

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 01:41:24 AM

It's Satoshi Dice, not Saratoshi Dice, I'm building some new bitcoin games that will be way more fun than SD

The OP apparently doesn't know he can change the title, someone already pointed out the typo earlier........................ unless there's an actual Saratoshi dice................

writhe

Activity: 17

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 01:43:55 AM

Has anyone ever calculated the total transaction fees generated by SatoshiDice? Perhaps mining wouldn't be so profitable without them.
Jaw3bmasters

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 01:45:48 AM

Has anyone ever calculated the total transaction fees generated by SatoshiDice? Perhaps mining wouldn't be so profitable without them.

That's the general logic............

There's beef somewhere.

doobadoo

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 01:49:15 AM

Nah, the blocksize limit is too high, at least for the current crop of hard drives.   The fees paid are only at most a 1% of the current block reward.  And i don't think we *need* so much mining to have a very secure system.

I say again, the rent is just too dam high.  With the blocksize limit was 128k, hard baby.  hard as my head.

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees
Jobe7

Activity: 238

Now they are thinking what to do with me

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 01:57:59 AM

Satoshi Dice (possibly) creates a large increase in profit for miners (if anyone checked the blockchain info the other day), which in turn will = more miners and current miners investing in more equipment, which in turn = even stronger 'community strength' that governments and such can't break into, and it means a faster growth into the bitcoin market (as more miners invest fiat into mining gear, then (hopefully) the profit from the mining is kept in the bitcoin world).

Basically forcing a faster growth than expected, the mining should keep up because of the equilibrium balance.

The blockchain info that is down, is just a 'recording' of the transactions? if I understand it correctly? And it's down because they wasn't ready for that kind of info going through, but it only effects the system in that it's slowed up transactions, though increased mining profits, which will swing back and counter balance.

right?
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 05:34:11 AM

Its an elaborate delay-of-service attack, which you pay for in the time it takes to sync the bitcoin client for the first time, or when you need to get up to date after not running it for a while.

It is also responsible for 48% (and rising) of the total blockchain size right now. So when you play, you're actually harming yourself and other future bitcoin users.

Oh, and the creator(s) are totally aware of this, but think you dealing with it is a good thing.

Enjoy.

You forgot to mention that SatoshiDice also pays more in transaction/mining fees than everyone else on the network, combined.

So it's paying for its usage. Kinda silly to call it an elaborate delay-of-service attack when it's playing by the rules of the protocol.

In fact, SD pays a fee for every single transaction it makes, can you say the same about yourself? Why are your transactions, which sometimes do not include a fee, fine and dandy? Yet SD transactions, which pay 100% of the time, are an elaborate delay-of-service attack?

Glitter

Activity: 8

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 03:43:48 PM

Thank-you everyone for your explanations I always wondered about SD.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 10:03:35 PM

Its an elaborate delay-of-service attack, which you pay for in the time it takes to sync the bitcoin client for the first time, or when you need to get up to date after not running it for a while.

It is also responsible for 48% (and rising) of the total blockchain size right now. So when you play, you're actually harming yourself and other future bitcoin users.

Oh, and the creator(s) are totally aware of this, but think you dealing with it is a good thing.

Enjoy.

You forgot to mention that SatoshiDice also pays more in transaction/mining fees than everyone else on the network, combined.

So it's paying for its usage. Kinda silly to call it an elaborate delay-of-service attack when it's playing by the rules of the protocol.

In fact, SD pays a fee for every single transaction it makes, can you say the same about yourself? Why are your transactions, which sometimes do not include a fee, fine and dandy? Yet SD transactions, which pay 100% of the time, are an elaborate delay-of-service attack?

Care to comment on the "unspendable outputs" at all? I'd love for you to have an in-depth conversation with gmaxwell in #bitcoin on chat.freenode.net about it. He knows a lot more about blockchain mechanics than you do, being one of the core developers.

It just boggles my mind that you'd use the "playing by the rules" defense instead of taking a deeper look at what you're doing to the bitcoin ecosystem.

I'm sure there are corporations out there that are licensed to dump their toxic byproducts into the environment under "regulations" and such, it still doesn't make it right.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
lleibowitz

Activity: 37

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 10:19:41 PM

Enjoy.

You're right that SD is inflating the block chain and that every new user will curse the gigantic file he or she has to download before being able to start using bitcoin. But is this SD's fault? No, SD just magnifies the problem and shows us that bitcoin is not yet user-friendly. We have to work on the system itself instead of condemning those who make its flaws visible.
bennybong

Activity: 682
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 11:19:27 PM

I've made a few and lost a few with satoshiDice. It's highly addictive - gambling at it's most lethal. 0.01 BTC bets turn to 0.1 BTC bets, that's ten fold! And bitcoins are getting worth more and more at the moment

Watch yourself....
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: