Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 09:35:34 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Litecoin needs a community based improvement proposal system  (Read 574 times)
tacotime (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 10:07:40 PM

I'm not sure if coblee is still developing for Litecoin right now (it'd be nice to get 0.8.0 for Litecoin already).

But I think we need a way to propose modifications to the Litecoin protocol and vote on their implementation as a community, much like for bitcoin.

Is there a wiki where we can put this stuff?  Do you guys have ideas about things we should do for the protocol at all?

I think one good one would be to change the difficulty adjustment algorithm to be mainly based on the last 3.5 days but also to take into account the last 10.5 days in the form of the linearly weighted average for block times.  This would prevent difficultly coaster style manipulation as we've seen in the past, or at least discourage them.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
kcminer

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2013, 05:36:13 AM

I think that's a decent idea. Have you posted on the forum? http://forum.litecoin.net/index.php

Gift cards for LTC and DOGE at ltcasics.com!
iddo

Activity: 360
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 07:23:19 AM

Hello tacotime,
The main change to Litecoin that coblee, pooler, and I discussed is whether tweaking the scrypt params to make CPU mining more advantageous is a good idea, in order to decentralize the network further. You are of course welcome to share your thoughts on this here, especially given your memcoin thread etc.
Everyone is also welcome to discuss this kind of ideas at #litecoin-dev on freenode IRC chat.
chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2013, 10:08:09 AM

I think one of Bitcoin's greatest assets is Blockchain.info. If a lot of that is open source and the Blockchain.info guy doesn't mind a litecoin clone (he might, someone should ask him), that would be awesome. Not every feature of Blockchain.info would need to be replicated.

As a more general statement, we have the advantage of hindsight to see what worked well for Bitcoin and what didn't. The Bitcointip bot on reddit? Super, Litecoin should have one. X%-weekly-return investment schemes? That was a disaster, let's hold off on those.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: