Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:00:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoins not confirming after 30~ hours satoshidice  (Read 1441 times)
mik3 (OP)

Activity: 245
Merit: 104

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 11:49:29 PM
Last edit: August 30, 2013, 01:03:14 AM by mik3

I did a --rescan on the client, no help. And the transactions can't be found in blockchain info.
Everything was working before and after these, just these couple got screwed up.

Are they gone?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 04:54:49 AM

And the transactions can't be found in blockchain info.

If those transactions you received have already dropped from the Blockchain.info then they should drop from your client as well.  If you look at the wager that caused that payout using SatoshiDICE's site for any wager you can get the status and links to payout transactions.   Sometimes they send out payouts that cause problems.  Looks like that is what happened.  You may already have received the replacement payouts, but only you know which transaction IDs are yours to be able to confirm that each payout has occurred.

It will be noticed if SatoshiDICE has any outstanding payouts to make so usually there's nothing you need to do on your end to cause a replacement payout to occur if the first one ended up not confirming (like this one you provided as an example).

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

mik3 (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 07:12:36 PM

When would satoshi reissue the coins? Anyone I can contact there? Can't find anything on their site. Sad
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 09:39:08 PM
Last edit: March 02, 2013, 08:15:43 PM by Stephen Gornick

When would satoshi reissue the coins? Anyone I can contact there? Can't find anything on their site. Sad

If the problem was that a payout from SatoshiDICE was using unconfirmed funds that ended up being double spends (and then disappearing), they will re-issue the payouts for all transactions that have confirmed.

If your wagers are (now) invalid due to it being a double spend, then even if SatoshiDICE did at one time send a payout they won't re-send it because they won't even know about it ... no nodes will relay your double spend transaction and thus it will never reach SatoshIDICE.

That's assuming your spend transactions are double spends.  I can't say whether they are or are not.

If you leave your client running for an hour and the transaction IDs for those transactions still don't show up on blockchain.info, then you can almost certainly assume that your transactions are invalid.

The Bitcoin-Qt client doesn't deal well with (outgoing) double spend transactions.  If that is what happened then to clear things up you need to perform wallet surgery to remove all transactions and rescan and let the wallet rebuild from there.  

Or export the keys and create a new wallet with those keys. That does the same thing.

[Edit: And just to clarify, you aren't at risk of losing anything.  You can also try to import your wallet to regain the ability to spend any coins that the existing wallet might have sitting stuck in those invalid transactions.

- https://blockchain.info/wallet/import-wallet

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

mik3 (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 07:20:34 PM

Thanks a lot for all your help. I guess something went wrong with the transactions. That's really screwed up how someone can just lose money like that. I made a new wallet and will just use that.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 08:25:32 PM

That's really screwed up how someone can just lose money like that.

Nobody lost anything.  Nobody else has spent your coins (nor can spend them) and you still have the private keys for them.  

There is an unfixed bug with the client where an outgoing transaction that never confirms and ends up being a double spend does not get purged automatically.  

That appears to be your problem.

SatoshiDICE is pretty much the only one doing this (payout with funds that get double spent, necessitating a replacement payout).  You can pretty much avoid this ever happening again by not using that service (at least not until they stop sending payouts that never confirm.)

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █