Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 02:33:55 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I intordocue BitCoins into my community?  (Read 2661 times)
UncleBuckRIU (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 12:18:54 AM

The town I live in is VERY small and not much goes on here. Most people have computers, but don't use them very often... I have already started a Facebook group and will be sharing daily BTC ups and downs, as well as faucets and other things for people to use to peak interest.

1) How can I get people to understand the value of the BitCoin stock market. I know how to explain that it changes, but how can I get them to understand that it is EASY. That is the big point. How do I get their money into coins and coins into money the easiest, and let them know how it can happen in a simpe way. HOW can that happen?

2) How do I get retail locations to start accepting Bitcoin. What is the best reason? And what is the simplest way for them to do it?

3) What is the best way to exchange bitcoins Iphone to Iphone
UncleBuckRIU (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 02:19:13 AM

No one can help me?
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 02:47:04 AM

This thread should not belong to press section

UncleBuckRIU (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 06:57:45 AM

This thread should not belong to press section
It's about the publication and spreading of Bitcoin, so I think it fits.
tjohej

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Magic Staff

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 09:07:21 AM

The town I live in is VERY small and not much goes on here.
Thanks for your enthusiasm, though I usually go to the press section to find out: What does the New York Times write about Bitcoin?
What does CNN write about Bitcoin?
Was Bitcoin covered in the news lately?

I think that you would get LOTS of help if you posted it here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=1.0 on the Bitcoin Forum > Bitcoin > Bitcoin Discussion. What do you think?

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.
UncleBuckRIU (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 02:48:59 PM

I moved the thread. Any ideas?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4669

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 03:33:00 PM

Easiest way for those in your town to exchange the local currency (US dollars?) for bitcoin, and bitcoin for local currency is for them to do it through you.  Get yourself a supply of bitcoin, and offer to exchange with anyone local.  Perhaps even list BUY and SELL ads on https://localbitcoins.com/

The blockchain.info Wallet App is currently the best way to exchange bitcoin with an iPhone.

The best reasons for a shop to accept bitcoin is the low fees and low fraud rate.  Any shop that accepts credit/debit cards is already paying more in fees and taking on more fraud risk than they would with bitcoin.  If they believe in the future success of bitcoin, then the improving exchange rate would be a good reason as well.  Furthermore, if bitcoin starts to "catch on" in your town, then any business that accepts bitcoin can also offer to sell bitcoin increasing their sales opportunities and providing an incentive for individuals to come to their shop.

There is a trade-off between ease-of-use and cost.  The easiest way for a business to implement bitcoin is to contact BitPay and have them take care of the implementaion.  In that case the fees will be higher and there won't be quite as much benefit as compared to credit cards.
UncleBuckRIU (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 04:10:11 PM

Easiest way for those in your town to exchange the local currency (US dollars?) for bitcoin, and bitcoin for local currency is for them to do it through you.  Get yourself a supply of bitcoin, and offer to exchange with anyone local.  Perhaps even list BUY and SELL ads on https://localbitcoins.com/

The blockchain.info Wallet App is currently the best way to exchange bitcoin with an iPhone.

The best reasons for a shop to accept bitcoin is the low fees and low fraud rate.  Any shop that accepts credit/debit cards is already paying more in fees and taking on more fraud risk than they would with bitcoin.  If they believe in the future success of bitcoin, then the improving exchange rate would be a good reason as well.  Furthermore, if bitcoin starts to "catch on" in your town, then any business that accepts bitcoin can also offer to sell bitcoin increasing their sales opportunities and providing an incentive for individuals to come to their shop.

There is a trade-off between ease-of-use and cost.  The easiest way for a business to implement bitcoin is to contact BitPay and have them take care of the implementaion.  In that case the fees will be higher and there won't be quite as much benefit as compared to credit cards.

So in short...

1. Get as many people to make wallets as I can

2. Try to sell BitCoins myself

3. Hope people notice it's worth doing.

I am thinking about doing something like a stock broker thing as well.

Is there a way I could do this with a Card reader?
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 04:12:18 PM

Does anyone in the community have anything they can sell online?
UncleBuckRIU (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 04:48:25 PM

Does anyone in the community have anything they can sell online?

There is actually a Facebook page in my town where people sell things to each other.
justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 05:15:46 PM

There is actually a Facebook page in my town where people sell things to each other.
If they are interested in selling to a wider audience Bitcoin would allow them to receive payments from anywhere in the world.
Bitobsessed

Activity: 291

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 05:43:16 PM

I am having this same problem.  When I mention Bitcoin and go into "its like digital cash", almost everyone I talk to is so very skeptical that they wont even look it up online.  I have a fairly wealthy friend that is into stocks and was only interested in listening to more after a few beers.  But that was over a week ago, talked to him last night and he still has not looked into it.  Hell, my best friend growing up still has not checked it out and I told him about it in June of 2011. 

When you include "digital" "online" "300,000%" "cryptography" in the same conversation, they all think it is easily hacked.  I have an idea and I will try it this weekend to expose 100-200 people to Bitcoin and I will report back and let you know how it went.

But, that is why I still believe that it is in its infancy and I cannot wait until they come back to me and say they are kicking themselves.  I already have an accountant at work doing that because I told him to buy some at $12.00.  Now he just keeps saying "If it drops back down I will buy!".  I keep telling him to buy some anyway at whatever price and he wont.  If this survives, man will I have some stories to tell!
justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 05:51:52 PM

I am having this same problem.  When I mention Bitcoin and go into "its like digital cash", almost everyone I talk to is so very skeptical that they wont even look it up online.  I have a fairly wealthy friend that is into stocks and was only interested in listening to more after a few beers.  But that was over a week ago, talked to him last night and he still has not looked into it.  Hell, my best friend growing up still has not checked it out and I told him about it in June of 2011.  

When you include "digital" "online" "300,000%" "cryptography" in the same conversation, they all think it is easily hacked.  I have an idea and I will try it this weekend to expose 100-200 people to Bitcoin and I will report back and let you know how it went.

But, that is why I still believe that it is in its infancy and I cannot wait until they come back to me and say they are kicking themselves.  I already have an accountant at work doing that because I told him to buy some at $12.00.  Now he just keeps saying "If it drops back down I will buy!".  I keep telling him to buy some anyway at whatever price and he wont.  If this survives, man will I have some stories to tell!
There's a trick to distinguishing between a legitimate concern and a smokescreen, and that trick is to look for curiosity. Somebody who is really interested in Bitcoin but concerned about hacking will ask questions about it. A person who just throws out a conclusion (It will never work because hackers) without showing any curiosity has another reason for rejecting Bitcoin that they aren't telling you, and probably aren't even consciously aware of.
UncleBuckRIU (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 07:30:42 PM

I am having this same problem.  When I mention Bitcoin and go into "its like digital cash", almost everyone I talk to is so very skeptical that they wont even look it up online.  I have a fairly wealthy friend that is into stocks and was only interested in listening to more after a few beers.  But that was over a week ago, talked to him last night and he still has not looked into it.  Hell, my best friend growing up still has not checked it out and I told him about it in June of 2011. 

When you include "digital" "online" "300,000%" "cryptography" in the same conversation, they all think it is easily hacked.  I have an idea and I will try it this weekend to expose 100-200 people to Bitcoin and I will report back and let you know how it went.

But, that is why I still believe that it is in its infancy and I cannot wait until they come back to me and say they are kicking themselves.  I already have an accountant at work doing that because I told him to buy some at $12.00.  Now he just keeps saying "If it drops back down I will buy!".  I keep telling him to buy some anyway at whatever price and he wont.  If this survives, man will I have some stories to tell!

Good luck introducing 1-200 people to BitCoin.

I think the best way to turn people onto Bitcoins is by showing them the Silk Road. I know that doesn't work for business. But it allows you to properly explain why crytocurrency is useful, while showing them a place they can get something they really want (doesn't everyone have SOME drug they'd like to get, if it was available almost legally and would be delivered right to their mailbox). Doing this demonstrates that BitCoins work just like regular money, with the added benefit of anonymity. It really is the best way to learn about BTC.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4669

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 07:38:48 PM

- snip -
delivered right to their mailbox
- snip -
benefit of anonymity
- snip -

You use an odd definition for the word anonymity.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 07:40:35 PM

If you can afford it, give someone a bitcoin and let them learn about it on their own.  Best way to introduce, in my opinion.

UncleBuckRIU (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 07:51:20 PM

- snip -
delivered right to their mailbox
- snip -
benefit of anonymity
- snip -

You use an odd definition for the word anonymity.

The anonymity doesn't come from the mailbox, it comes from the fact that the transaction required no card number or identification of any kind.
UncleBuckRIU (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 07:52:18 PM

If you can afford it, give someone a bitcoin and let them learn about it on their own.  Best way to introduce, in my opinion.

I don't even have Bitcoins for myself to use.
joecooin

Activity: 359

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2013, 07:56:09 PM

I think the best way to turn people onto Bitcoins is by showing them the Silk Road.

Great idea.

The community has been working quite hard for a while to turn the focus of media coverage _away_ from drug buying and money laundering and you think it is a good idea to convince people of the superiority of a currency by explaining to them that they can do criminal things with it easier?

Do me a favour and do _not_ try to attract people to bitcoin, I think it is the worst thing you can do for the technology!

Joe

UncleBuckRIU (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 07:58:03 PM

I think the best way to turn people onto Bitcoins is by showing them the Silk Road.

Great idea.

The community has been working quite hard for a while to turn the focus of media coverage _away_ from drug buying and money laundering and you think it is a good idea to convince people of the superiority of a currency by explaining to them that they can do criminal things with it easier?

Do me a favour and do _not_ try to attract people to bitcoin, I think it is the worst thing you can do for the technology!

Joe

So, you think that there should be restrictions on what BitCoin lets us buy?

Why even have a crypto currency if you don't want to really use it? I think you should just stick to paper money.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: