Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:25:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Core on a broken computer???  (Read 1291 times)
Jeremycoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 03:40:22 PM

I was just thinking to installing a Bitcoin Core on my computer, because I've never really done it before. The problem is, this is an old computer. And sometimes is often freeze (The screen still on, but can't do anything), the only thing I can do is just forcing it to off by press & holding the power button.
Now the question is, is it actually safe to use a Bitcoin Core on my computer? considering that my computer can got freeze suddenly.

faucet used to be profitable

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mobnepal
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 03:43:00 PM

I was just thinking to installing a Bitcoin Core on my computer, because I've never really done it before. The problem is, this is an old computer. And sometimes is often freeze (The screen still on, but can't do anything), the only thing I can do is just forcing it to off by press & holding the power button.
Now the question is, is it actually safe to use a Bitcoin Core on my computer? considering that my computer can got freeze suddenly.
It may be safe if you are only wiling to add your computer as another new node to bitcoin network but if you consider using address generated by that computer than make a copy of all the private key and addresses info in safe place or in another computer good one. Wink
traderbit

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2016, 03:53:23 PM

No, i don't prefer to install and use bitcoin core on a broken computer which can freeze or shutdown on critical situations. You should always have latest backup for your wallet.

wintermeasures

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 03:58:29 PM

i think is safe, but if there are constraints such as freeze, it will waste your time, in bitcoin time is money. why not create an online wallet, like blockchain or other reliable sites online wallet? the choice is in your hand.
thanks...
Rude Boy

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 04:02:15 PM

Better don't install bitcoin core on your old computer, as it takes much space (about 60GB, if i'm right) and also it takes much time to synchronize. Your computer might get more problems if you do! If you still install, at least back up your wallet.
klf
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 04:08:29 PM

i think is safe, but if there are constraints such as freeze, it will waste your time, in bitcoin time is money. why not create an online wallet, like blockchain or other reliable sites online wallet? the choice is in your hand.
thanks...
Ye this is correct why you wasting your system memory and you said it's old system so you can not update your system also because to that mother board latest versions will not work. So even i would suggest you to use any online wallet Blockchain or any other wallets you will get lot many in online. But what you said it's correct it's safe to use a Bitcoin core on your computer but computer will not support means change your system or use online.
DimensionZ

Activity: 350

Shit, did I leave the stove on?

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 04:15:29 PM

What OS do you have on that old computer of yours? If it's a version of Windows and it's slowing down your system I recommend putting a Linux distro on there it will surely speed some things up. Also are you planning to run Bitcoin Core as a node or also as a fully functioning wallet as well? I don't recommend storing Bitcoins on a crash-prone computer as your wallet may get corrupted or something. You can get Bitcoin Core for Linux by the way.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 06:11:55 PM

My experience has been that if my computer crashes while Bitcoin Core is running, the database is corrupted and I must re-sync the entire block chain.

I now use Bitcoin Unlimited and it doesn't seem to have that problem, so perhaps Core no longer has that problem.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
arcanaaerobics

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 23, 2016, 06:36:51 PM

You said it yourself, it's a broken computer why would you trust it to hold your bitcoins ?
What if the hard disk crashes ? Be on the safe side, either repair the computer, or don't put valuable and sensitive information on it.
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2016, 07:39:57 PM

What OS do you have on that old computer of yours? If it's a version of Windows and it's slowing down your system I recommend putting a Linux distro on there it will surely speed some things up. Also are you planning to run Bitcoin Core as a node or also as a fully functioning wallet as well? I don't recommend storing Bitcoins on a crash-prone computer as your wallet may get corrupted or something. You can get Bitcoin Core for Linux by the way.

I would suggest doing the same, see if the crashes stop.

My experience has been that if my computer crashes while Bitcoin Core is running, the database is corrupted and I must re-sync the entire block chain.

I now use Bitcoin Unlimited and it doesn't seem to have that problem, so perhaps Core no longer has that problem.

It would be my main concern, OP could try it out and avoid storing coins there if it's problematic.
XCASH
Legendary

Activity: 929

View Profile
May 24, 2016, 06:30:03 PM

If it's an old computer it might be crashing because the hard drive is approaching the end of its life. Try connecting an external hard drive and installing an operating system on that. If it solves the problem I might risk running Bitcoin core on it, but if the crashes continue I wouldn't consider it. Crashes lead to data corruption and you don't want your wallet.dat getting corrupted.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: