Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:05:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Squares -- Sports Gambling Thread (altcoins accepted)  (Read 1114 times)
phishead (OP)

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2016, 07:02:47 PM
Last edit: June 10, 2016, 10:43:52 AM by phishead

NBA FINALS
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
0 | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW |
1 | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH |
2 | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW |
3 | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH |
4 | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW |
5 | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH |
6 | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW |
7 | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH |
8 | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW | JW |
9 | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH | PH |

Golden State=Orange
Cleveland=Blue

GAME 3
Golden State = 90
Cleveland = 120
Source: http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400878156

As of right now, luigi1111 will be helping to escrow and hold the funds for this; from what I know he is pretty reliable and I think he will do a great job. This will be used as a future template for future upcoming tournaments that I will try to hold. *Still trying to work out the details with a good provably fair mechanism for the drawings*

Hello Everyone!

I will be trying out something (if we get enough people) on this thread to get people together and enjoy a relatively cheap way to gamble on sports games with the potential to win big.  

How this will work:

- People will propose a sports game that they would like to bet on and whoever gets the "highest votes" for the week will be chosen as the game of the week

- An escrow (luigi1111) will receive your bets... YOU CAN BET IN WHATEVER DENOMINATION YOU'D LIKE, but you will need to shapeshift your funds into BTC.

- (Until further notice) Each "square" on the table will be worth BTC.001, and you can buy as many "squares" as you'd like.  You just need to make sure that you are sending funds through shapeshift to the escrow's BTC wallet.  

- We (luigi1111 or I) will keep a log under the table in play about who is in and how many squares were purchased.  When you submit your transaction, you can let us know on here and tell us what denomination you are "playing for"... Meaning, that when you win, the jackpot (in this case .1 BTC's worth) will go to you in your preferred cryptocurrency of choice.  This way, when someone wins, we can easily send the funds straight to whatever wallet you desire and in any cryptocurrency you desire.  We'll keep these things logged in beside your name and how many squares you have purchased.

- The game is played in a very simple format:  Let's say that in this case we're betting on one of the NBA finals games.  The top and side row with numbers will be designated with whatever team is playing that night.  Let's say it's GSW vs. CLE... GSW is at the top and CLE is on the side.  The score is 103 to 97, GSW is the winner.  So, if you look at the 3 on the top row and go down to the column where 7 is located, whoever is in that "square" is a winner.  Simple, right?? Cool

- As of right now, I'm still working on a way to have a reliable, open, provably fair way to go about assigning people each of their bought squares... I'll update this thread later with how I will be doing that.

** UPDATE **: I am buying out the board and setting the pot to BTC.05 to maybe spark interest in the game and to have a lower "buy-in" for players to play.  We still need people to state their interest and what game they want to pick... NOTE: this pool can be used for any game/sport... idk how fair it would be with a sport like hockey or soccer where the scores are generally low, but we'll figure it out and maybe come up with a provably fair way to assign people to squares.

** UPDATE #2 **: The matches for right now are at 0.0002 BTC a square, which comes out to be a mere $0.11 ... so if you want to try it out, or need a reason to make sports just a little more interesting, let me know here or a PM if you'd like to play!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
phishead (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2016, 07:08:31 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2016, 09:22:21 AM by phishead

Match 1) phishead wins
Match 2) phishead wins
Match 3) jwinterm wins
Match 4) Friday June 10th GSW @ CLE : 9 PM
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 07:14:07 PM

Confirmed.
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1103

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 08:47:39 PM

Interested. It will suck for Luigi if not all squares are filled and he has to send back everyone's bets. Or does escrow just get to keep all the bets if that happens Tongue
phishead (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2016, 09:04:25 PM

Interested. It will suck for Luigi if not all squares are filled and he has to send back everyone's bets. Or does escrow just get to keep all the bets if that happens Tongue

Yeah... I haven't really figured out what to do if that happens... this might be a little tougher than I thought  Cry well shit... Roll Eyes

Any ideas?
jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 10:20:19 PM

Yeah... I haven't really figured out what to do if that happens... this might be a little tougher than I thought  Cry well shit... Roll Eyes

Any ideas?

Use 0.1 BTC and bet a mbtc on every square, and allow more than one person to buy the same square, then split winnings proportionally to how many tickets each winner had on that square.

Or just offer to buy the board out of whatever isn't bought when it's time to close betting.
KLONE

Activity: 264
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 01:08:20 AM

Very nice! I'm following this for sure Smiley
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 03:36:56 PM

Any ideas?

Use 0.1 BTC and bet a mbtc on every square, and allow more than one person to buy the same square, then split winnings proportionally to how many tickets each winner had on that square.

Or just offer to buy the board out of whatever isn't bought when it's time to close betting.

This is probably easiest and should be zero sum.
phishead (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2016, 08:13:16 PM

Any ideas?

This is probably easiest and should be zero sum.

I agree and I can do that... How about this...

I have gone ahead and bought out the board, and will go ahead and pay luigi when needed, but I need people to give me what game they want to bet on exactly (X vs. Y; Game _), and also need to see if there is a general interest in something like this.  I know jwinterm would be interested (I think) but this is kinda pointless since this is supposed to be a "pool" and that is the whole point/thing that is fun in all of this...

As for now, I'm going to propose we lower the stakes to BTC.05 pool pot for now, making each square BTC.0005 to *maaayyybeee* spark a couple other people's interest in throwing in a yolo bet and test out the waters with the whole process.

I want this to be a thing the community enjoys, this in no way is some attempt to take peoples money... there is no advantage I have over the other guy...  If there is general interest in something like this in the altcoin community, then I say lets do it.  If you happen to feel more comfortable with another escrow (sorry luigi) and want to propose we use someone else that has had a lot of experience in escrow situations, then I say lets do it.

I just really enjoy these pools, and do them all the time with friends and that sort of thing; which then got me thinking why not just do this here?  So here we are... Cool ... but if there is just generally no interest, then that is perfectly fine too and I'll figure it out from there.
jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 03:15:09 PM

For game 7 tonight I'll take 0-4 for the Warriors and 0-9 for the Thunder at 0.1 XMR per square, for a total of 5 XMR.
phishead (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2016, 04:49:25 PM

Jwinterm and I are going to do a trial run on here... if anyone is following this thread and would like to participate, you can buy out my squares, but if not, I'll be playing Jwinterm...

Of course 0.1 XMR isn't a lot right now, so it's not that big of a buy in... so if you are interested, please feel free to contact me or luigi about getting some squares.. remember, winner takes all! (10 XMR; or 10 XMR worth of any crypto of your choice).

Tip off starts @ 9 P.M. eastern.  If you'd like to not deal with these squares and would like to place a formal bet with me and have me act as a bookie, I will take your bets up to a certain amount (haven't decided what I want to set that as of now).  Spread has the game at GSW = -7  |  OKC = +7.  Please post in this thread or PM me if you are wanting to make a wager on this game or possibly another game.

Thanks everyone, and good luck!  Cool
phishead (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2016, 12:40:32 AM

Just an update... I won the first squares match between me and jwinterm, but the thing is is that it's not fun if we just play between our selves! ... so let me know what would interest you guys in betting on some matches with whatever altcoin you prefer...

I'll redo the table and spoof up the game as needed... so let me know what you guys have in mind. Smiley
phishead (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2016, 09:40:04 PM
Last edit: June 05, 2016, 10:26:52 PM by phishead

Match is opened again tonight for .0002 BTC per square... so .02 BTC, or around $10 per table for the Cleveland vs. Golden State game. If anyone would like to play let me know!
MickyCOB

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 12:32:15 AM

Cool... Looks interesting  Grin

phishead (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2016, 03:27:54 PM
Last edit: June 07, 2016, 06:59:50 PM by phishead

Cool... Looks interesting  Grin

Still can grab some squares before tonights game if you would like to play  Cool

**Edit: tomorrow night's game... lol
jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 05:51:39 PM

*tomorrow night's game
bitwhizz
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 11:42:04 AM

Sounds like a square idea  Grin
phishead (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2016, 10:32:50 AM

Sounds like a square idea  Grin

I'd be happy if anyone would be willing to give me other ideas on how to make this game better... I'm open to anything, so it doesn't have to be square Cool

I'm thinking about making another table below the sports one that would be something to the extent of the last minute and character (?) of Bitcoin's halving block hash... giving us a weird looking 16 x 10 table, but willing to listen to any other ideas if people have them.

- In other news, Game 4 is coming up tonight, so if you'd like to bet just a mere .0002 BTC you could possibly get back 100X that if you are a gambling man Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: