Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:55:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Received a random Dropbox share with a bitcoin.js file  (Read 1775 times)
ccs5t (OP)

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 08:42:23 PM

Today I randomly got a dropbox share from someone named Matthew Jones that contained a bitcoin.js file. Anyone know what sort of scam is going on here? the file doesn't show anything clear. Thanks for any help.
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 08:47:26 PM

Today I randomly got a dropbox share from someone named Matthew Jones that contained a bitcoin.js file. Anyone know what sort of scam is going on here? the file doesn't show anything clear. Thanks for any help.

Be careful. Examine the motivation behind this action: would you send someone a "random ass money" with no instructions? More likely this is malicious code, designed to rob you of your value.

If you are curious (and remember what curiousity did to our favorite feline), open the file in a virtual machine for further investigation.

Jhanzo

Activity: 798
Merit: 506

Thank satoshi

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 08:48:18 PM

Scan it for malware on virus total?
However if you have no need for it, just don't use it.

Trusted an exchange that climbed to the top 3 in just under 2 years with your money? you are fucking stupid.
ccs5t (OP)

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 08:51:30 PM

Can a .JS file do anything? I don't know how to code so I can't tell if there is anything malicious in it.
mtnsaa
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 08:57:14 PM

Can a .JS file do anything? I don't know how to code so I can't tell if there is anything malicious in it.

Well it can basically have all sorts of dangers in there if you execute it AFAIK, so I would suggest you stay away from it.
Racey
Legendary

Activity: 1134

Soon, I have to go away.

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 08:58:20 PM

Why have you opened your drop box to others?
You don't know who Matthew Jones is?
Most probably the Locky ransomware virus.

https://blog.avast.com/a-closer-look-at-the-locky-ransomware

And its gone.
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 09:00:04 PM

it can do a lot more harm than you'd think. run random javascript files that you found on the internet and next thing you know your PC have a ransomware. .js malwares is just getting as common as .exe malwares.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 09:02:37 PM

It is just common sense to not open these type of things..

If you receive emails like this, delete them straight away and don't even think about it for a second. It is just not worth the trouble you will get.

As others have said, no stranger will ever give you something for free in a random fashion like this. Don't buy into it.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 09:04:03 PM

Can you open it in an online text editor and add it to his tread in "code" statements.
Also, it is probably a virus, test it if unsure on vrustotal.com
If it is nothing clear when opened in plain text format, it has proably been converted to a binary executable that can load straight from the file and cause problems to the computer, if downloaded, remove immediatly and quarenteen any surrounding files in offline partitions.
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 09:42:40 PM
Last edit: May 19, 2016, 10:01:51 PM by calkob

it sounds really suss i would stay well clear and def dont download and open it...... Cheesy not on a machine which holds private keys anyway.

edit: i just checked my emails and have received a similer email.  http://imgur.com/muIbFW9 What yous think? i doubt its even from Dropbox?
Racey
Legendary

Activity: 1134

Soon, I have to go away.

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 10:26:52 PM

it sounds really suss i would stay well clear and def dont download and open it...... Cheesy not on a machine which holds private keys anyway.

edit: i just checked my emails and have received a similer email.  http://imgur.com/muIbFW9 What yous think? i doubt its even from Dropbox?

Can you post the headers of the email, it can be traced back to originating IP
Take your email out of course by editing and replacing with a made up address.

1.To begin, open the email message by clicking on it.
2.Click on Details (right above the To: and From: fields) and choose View Message Source.
3.The full headers will appear in a new window, simply right-click inside the headers and choose Select All, then right-click again and choose Copy.

Paste the detail here http://www.ip2location.com/free/email-tracer you will then find what country and IP

And its gone.
crairezx20
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1046

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 10:38:56 PM

Can you give the link of the dropbox if where can download this files i just want to review the codes if this is type of ransomeware.. or just pm me the link..
I am not afraid of any ransomeware.. i am using vps and protected by kaspersky total virus.. which is updated in bitcoin protection..
wintermeasures

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 11:20:48 PM

becareful dude,
step 1 : go to ttps://www.virustotal.com and select tab file.
step 2 : and browser your "bitcoin.js" file
step 3 : Hit "SCAN IT" wait the process
step $ : see the result, if virus total detect some virus, definitely dont open that file!

just advice, do not open any files from strangers. thanks, have a nice day Smiley
martinacar

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 11:30:32 PM

You should indeed test it on some viruses, I would recommend you to not open it and stay way from it.
This is just a virus and this guy wants to scam you for sure.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 12:35:07 AM

bitcoin is only a small amount(well under 0.1%) of the world usage..
so its still not something that regular people would recognise, and most scammers still prefer the bank/paypal data grabs for the general public

so chances are someone who knows you and knows that you are interested in bitcoin and knows your drop box might be involved in sending it to you.

i do not think its random or spam otherwise all/many drop box users will be complaining about a bitcoin.js appearing.. so i beleive its more of a specific attack on yourself.

so think hard and long about people you communicate to on the internet and in real life that know about your drop box and also know your interested in bitcoin

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 04:31:57 AM

I haven't use Dropbox at all I am using other cloud storage solutions but can't you make your Dropbox accounts private so no one will be able to send you fishy files? What if you are in a hurry and open one of these strange files with catchy names and get your system infected and lose a lot of valuable data and your Bitcoins this is just ridiculous. I would have never allowed other random people to share files with me over the Internet. I can't even imagine the level of scamming that is going on over there.
unusualfacts30

Activity: 1540
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 06:02:01 AM

It's definitely a virus. I got a similar email today that had "electrum.exe" and "wallet.js"

Decentralized
Asset-Backed Banking

▄▄██████████████████
 █████████████████████
█████▀▀
████▀    ████
████     ████
████     ████
         ████     ████
         ████    ▄████
               ▄▄█████
█████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀ 
.TheStandard.io.█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 07:34:49 AM

I haven't use Dropbox at all I am using other cloud storage solutions but can't you make your Dropbox accounts private so no one will be able to send you fishy files? What if you are in a hurry and open one of these strange files with catchy names and get your system infected and lose a lot of valuable data and your Bitcoins this is just ridiculous. I would have never allowed other random people to share files with me over the Internet. I can't even imagine the level of scamming that is going on over there.

AS i said i dont even think it was a legit dropbox email, it looked really dodgy.  when i logged in to dropbox there was nothing saying i had a message or had received a file.  it was a spam email hoping i would click it.  Unfortunately i have deleted the file so cant post the headers or the file its self now..... just glad to get rid of it.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 08:58:25 AM

I also got a share at Dropbox from a user "Poloniex Inc", it was 2 windows executables with some ransomware.

Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 09:13:32 AM

So op you don't tested it with antivirus, anti malware tools? I am interested in report of files like these as I got infected with ransomware malware in the past.
In result of this my laptop was totally ruined with every possible file encrypted by CryptoWall ransomware. I am desperately seeking any news about it.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: