Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 02:26:09 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can more transaction reduce halving time?  (Read 663 times)
Wapinter (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1026

Hire me for Bounty Management

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 11:29:23 PM

The next bitcoin halving is on 11 Jul 2016
03:05:22, If volume of bitcoin transaction suddenly increases,will it bring halving much before 11 Jul 2016?Is more bitcoin transactions mean more block creation?

Lutpin
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1874

Goodbye, Z.

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2016, 11:29:49 PM

Is more bitcoin transactions mean more block creation?
No.

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀████▄
████▀██████▀█▀██████▀████
██████████████████████████
▐█████▄███████████████▄█████▌
▐███████▄▄█████████▄▄███████▌
▐██████▀█████████████▀██████▌
▐███████████████████████████▌
▀██████████████████████▀
▀████▄████▄▀▀▄████▄████▀
▀███████▀███▀███████▀
▀▀█████████████▀▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   ███████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
███████

▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
            ██                          ▄▄▄▄▄▄                           ██
           ██  ██████                ▄██████████▄     ████████████████████▀
          ██  ████████             ▄████▀   ▀████▄    ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
         ██  ████  ████           ████▀       ▀██▀    ████
        ██  ████    ████        ▄███▀                 ████

██  ████      ████       ███▀                  ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ██  ████        ████      ███                   ██████████████
     ██  ████          ████     ███▄                  ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██  ████████████████████    ▀████                 ████
   ██  ██████████████████████    ▀████▄        ▄██▄   ████

██  ████                ████     ▀████▄   ▄████▀    ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██  ████                  ████      ▀██████████▀     ████████████████████▄
  ██                                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██
   ▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀
Wapinter (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1026

Hire me for Bounty Management

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 11:48:17 PM

Is more bitcoin transactions mean more block creation?
No.
Then how each transaction is recorded in blockchain? How much transaction can a block accommodate?

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 11:58:57 PM
Last edit: May 20, 2016, 12:30:42 AM by franky1

03:05:22, If volume of bitcoin transaction suddenly increases,will it bring halving much before 11 Jul 2016?Is more bitcoin transactions mean more block creation?

if a block has 10 transactions or 2000 transactions it does not matter.. a mining pool will still need to hash out a solution which takes about the same time..

it is not about transactions per block that change the timing of block creation..

however..

if mining pools doubled their hashing power by having twice as much ASICS running. they can potentially solve blocks faster (though this is not a doubling of speed as its more of luck and increasing chances rather than any fixed timescales).

and every two weeks when the difficulty adjusts to compensate. if the mining pools then double up again trying their hardest to solve 2016 blocks in well under the standard 2 week period.. then yes the estimated date of 11th of july halving, could be sooner.

in short its about increasing ASIC hashing power to always stay way above the difficulty. and not about transactions

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 12:08:43 AM

If volume of bitcoin transaction suddenly increases,will it bring halving much before 11 Jul 2016?

No.

Then how each transaction is recorded in blockchain? How much transaction can a block accommodate?

when someone broadcast a transaction through the network successfully, the full nodes that accepts the transaction records it and relay it to the miners and other nodes. they will keep the transaction in their mempool for a certain amount time before they drop it.

each blocks can accommodate up to 1MB transaction. transactions vary in size, but most (all?) of them are above 200byte. I don't know if there's a limit to the # of transactions per block.
MingLee

Activity: 490
Merit: 520

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 12:26:02 AM

Technically and realistically, no, more transactions will not make the halving come around faster.

What happens is the blocks get filled more and more, and it doesn't speed up the rate the blocks are processed. A new block is set to be created roughly every 10 minutes, and it won't ever be generated faster than that. That's why we can have clocks for the halving that are accurate.

More transactions just mean more fees for the miners, technically, so it's only a loss for the person ending the transaction.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 01:42:28 AM

There will be no more transaction, coz blocks are full... i must wait around 4 hours to first confirmation of my transaction with high fee included.
Thats pretty bad for payment network, blocksize should be 2MB by now.
7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 01:58:42 AM

No. The protocol is designed to adjust the mining difficulty every 2016 blocks. If there is a sudden increase in hashing rate within that 2016 blocks, we will complete the blocks faster = shortening the halving time. Similarly, if the hashing rate drops, the halving time will be longer.

vodaljepa

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 03:20:10 AM

Things will get interesting in July

Hottest Girls On Webcam Naked - Naughty Cams
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2016, 03:21:20 AM

There will be no more transaction, coz blocks are full... i must wait around 4 hours to first confirmation of my transaction with high fee included.
Thats pretty bad for payment network, blocksize should be 2MB by now.

Satoshi would have probably increased blocksize in 2011 (without asking) if he hadn't vanished.

Blocksize reduction to 1MB was only temporary, never meant to be a consensus rule.  Cheesy

~~
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 2346

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 04:21:54 AM

I will have to disagree with those who are saying "no" to the OP's question.

If more transactions are being included in blocks, then the miners are receiving a greater number of total transaction fees, which means that the total block reward (block subsidy plus transaction fees) will be greater then it would be otherwise.

With the increased total block reward, it may become worthwhile for owners of miners to turn on mining equipment that they would otherwise wish to have turned off due to lack of profitability. This would cause the miners as a whole to (likely -- assuming 100% luck) find blocks are a quicker pace.

With the above being said, based on the current (estimated) time to the next halving, as well as the current (rough/general) proportion of transaction fees to total block reward, I would think that any reduction in the current time to the next halving due to increased transaction volume would be very small. Although the effect on the time between the future halvings may be greater.  
7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 06:02:59 AM

I will have to disagree with those who are saying "no" to the OP's question.

If more transactions are being included in blocks, then the miners are receiving a greater number of total transaction fees, which means that the total block reward (block subsidy plus transaction fees) will be greater then it would be otherwise.

With the increased total block reward, it may become worthwhile for owners of miners to turn on mining equipment that they would otherwise wish to have turned off due to lack of profitability. This would cause the miners as a whole to (likely -- assuming 100% luck) find blocks are a quicker pace.

With the above being said, based on the current (estimated) time to the next halving, as well as the current (rough/general) proportion of transaction fees to total block reward, I would think that any reduction in the current time to the next halving due to increased transaction volume would be very small. Although the effect on the time between the future halvings may be greater.  

I think this may be an indirect "Yes", but directly it is still "No". The transaction fee at the moment is still very low compared to the block reward of 25BTC. The "pull" power of the fee is negligible.
Viyamore

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 08:05:51 AM

For my own opinion , i think more transaction is good because more transaction is more active to the bitcoin price value .to have a more higher halving by the month of july.

▄▄▄██████████████████▄▄▄
            ▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀███████████████████████▄▄
        ▄▄███▀   ▄▄▄   ▀████████████████████████▄▄
     ▄██████  ▄███████▄  ▀██████████████████▀▀▀█████▄
   ▄███████    ███▀▀ ██    ███████████  ███▀  ▄███████▄
  █████████▄  ▄█▀  ▄███    ██████████  ▄██  ▄███████████
 ██████████████▀  ████▀   ▄██▀▀▀████  ▄████▀  ███████████
██████████████▀  ▄███▀   ▄█▀  ▄▄ ██▀ ▄█  ██  █████████████
██████████████   ▀     ▄██▀  ▄█  █▀  █   █▀▄  ▀███████████
█████████████▀  ▄███▄  ▀██   ██ ▄▄▄  █▀ ▄▄▀█▄  ▀▄█████████
█████████████   █████   ▀██▄ ▀▄████▄  ▄███▄▀  ▄███████████
 █████   ▀██▀  ▄█████    █▀▀█████████████████▀███████████
  ████   ▄█▀   █████    ██ ▀▄█▀▄▄▀█ ▀▄▀█▀▄▀ █▀█ ▀▄██████
   ▀███▄▄   ▄█▄ ▀▀     ███ █ █ ▄▄▄█  █ █ █  █ █ ██████▀
     ▀██████████▄▄▄▄▄█████▄█▄██▄▄██ █▄███▄█▄█▄█▄████▀
        ▀▀██████████████████████████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀██████████████████████████████▀▀
                 ▀▀▀██████████████████▀▀▀
      ..Powered by..
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
|
|
|
|

▀██▄       ▀████▄
▄    ▀██          ▀██▄
██▄ ▄███         ▄█████▄▄
 ▀███████▄     ▄██▀ ▀▀████
      ▀████▄ ▄██▀     ▀█▀
        ▀████▄
        ▄█▀████▄
      ▄███▄▀▀████▄