Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 04:22:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Flexi OS - A Smartphone Operating System With Huge Potential  (Read 823 times)
Flexi_OS (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 06:13:43 AM

Hello Everyone,

My name is David and I am currently in the development of a project which could take the world by storm if marketed and managed right. (Posting as a newbie, it was suggest to post here by my lecturer as there is a lot of money in the bitcoin world wanting to be invested)

I am an embedded computer design student from Cambridge University, United Kingdom. I had to write a thesis on what I thought we needed in the modern world subject wise. I chose this new operating system which I want to be an competitor to Android and iOS. That is when I came up with the idea to make this a real possibility. Why not. Why leave it to the big guys to make these products and then sell them to companies like Samsung for a fortune when all they are is a bastardised version of Linux just stripped down with some pretty features on top.

So about my product. As you guessed its an Operating system. but not just any. I have had help from a friend who does the same course and we have managed to get it working.. partly as we cant find all the driver code. on a Nokia Lumia 930.

The operating system is build on top of FreeBSD, a little bastardised to add some features. but with phones these days, they are not just phones they are computers, just small handheld computers.

Statistics.

Current Statistics dictate that market population goes to

Android: 82.8%
iOS: 13.9%
Windows: 2.6%
Blackberry: 0.3%
Others: 0.4%

Android (Google) Charged Samsung nearly 78m USD last year to use Android OS and get updates for a single year. This was a figure on a recent business broadcast. For the other devices I do not know, obviously Apple make theirs in house.

Features

It would support all features that the phone hardware would support, So what Android supports now as we would just need the models of the hardware.

We would also add one other major feature. Computer Mode. an X11 Screen that could be VNC'ed to or even plugged into a tv with a keyboard and mouse and used a PC to do work on.

Pricing

We have not looked into this yet, we are still developing, we have contacted some companies in china to send some cheap model phones over and give us exact details but communication is not great there.

What we are looking for

Advice and direction mainly and if there are one or Maybe 2 investors - We are happy to sell up 50% equity but this would depend on how much you want to invest in the project.

Risk

It sounds highly ambitious to be taking on the likes of android and windows, but they charge so much for a brand name, we could offer more at a cheaper price, Companies could save millions by using our software. It could be a long process though, 2 - 3 years down the line.

Please if anyone has any support, suggestions or anything that could help us aim towards our goal.

David
dsattler
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 12:14:50 PM

Hello Everyone,

My name is David and I am currently in the development of a project which could take the world by storm if marketed and managed right. (Posting as a newbie, it was suggest to post here by my lecturer as there is a lot of money in the bitcoin world wanting to be invested)

I am an embedded computer design student from Cambridge University, United Kingdom. I had to write a thesis on what I thought we needed in the modern world subject wise. I chose this new operating system which I want to be an competitor to Android and iOS. That is when I came up with the idea to make this a real possibility. Why not. Why leave it to the big guys to make these products and then sell them to companies like Samsung for a fortune when all they are is a bastardised version of Linux just stripped down with some pretty features on top.

So about my product. As you guessed its an Operating system. but not just any. I have had help from a friend who does the same course and we have managed to get it working.. partly as we cant find all the driver code. on a Nokia Lumia 930.

The operating system is build on top of FreeBSD, a little bastardised to add some features. but with phones these days, they are not just phones they are computers, just small handheld computers.

Statistics.

Current Statistics dictate that market population goes to

Android: 82.8%
iOS: 13.9%
Windows: 2.6%
Blackberry: 0.3%
Others: 0.4%

Android (Google) Charged Samsung nearly 78m USD last year to use Android OS and get updates for a single year. This was a figure on a recent business broadcast. For the other devices I do not know, obviously Apple make theirs in house.

Features

It would support all features that the phone hardware would support, So what Android supports now as we would just need the models of the hardware.

We would also add one other major feature. Computer Mode. an X11 Screen that could be VNC'ed to or even plugged into a tv with a keyboard and mouse and used a PC to do work on.

Pricing

We have not looked into this yet, we are still developing, we have contacted some companies in china to send some cheap model phones over and give us exact details but communication is not great there.

What we are looking for

Advice and direction mainly and if there are one or Maybe 2 investors - We are happy to sell up 50% equity but this would depend on how much you want to invest in the project.

Risk

It sounds highly ambitious to be taking on the likes of android and windows, but they charge so much for a brand name, we could offer more at a cheaper price, Companies could save millions by using our software. It could be a long process though, 2 - 3 years down the line.

Please if anyone has any support, suggestions or anything that could help us aim towards our goal.

David

Great project, David!  Grin

Can I suggest that you look into the Fair Phone project, for a decent and conflict-free smartphone hardware. I think that a free mobile OS will stir interest in the same consumer's category like the Fair Phone. AFAIK they are using android right now, maybe you could cooperate with them.

Good luck to you and your project!

Bitcointalk member since 2013! Smiley
Flexi_OS (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 12:57:34 PM

blah blah blah . . .

Great project, David!  Grin

Can I suggest that you look into the Fair Phone project, for a decent and conflict-free smartphone hardware. I think that a free mobile OS will stir interest in the same consumer's category like the Fair Phone. AFAIK they are using android right now, maybe you could cooperate with them.

Good luck to you and your project!

Thank you for your suggestion and words of encouragement.

I am going to draft an email to https://www.fairphone.com/ today and see if we can get hold of one of their devices for testing and let us know the REAL technical specifications, not the stuff these companies like to tell you on their website.

This will give us a good starting point to build our software around and prove that it can work. We will one day have 100% market share  Roll Eyes lol
KenR

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

「きみはこれ&#

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 01:06:45 PM

Hi there.Project is in its initial stages ,any beta version out yet ? Like a custom ROM that could be run on existing Android ?Is it open source ?
Does it support native apps ?
Are you planning to release a developer version ?
I think its too early to spread the news as people would like to see at least screen shots of your project.You know Ubuntu and Mozilla OS are also in later stages of development,they can be quite a competition.

████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
  ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
  .WEBSITE.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  .ANN THREAD.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
Flexi_OS (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 09:31:20 PM

Hi there.Project is in its initial stages ,any beta version out yet ? Like a custom ROM that could be run on existing Android ?Is it open source ?
Does it support native apps ?
Are you planning to release a developer version ?
I think its too early to spread the news as people would like to see at least screen shots of your project.You know Ubuntu and Mozilla OS are also in later stages of development,they can be quite a competition.

of course, We do not expect any investment yet or soon, just a future option after more work has been done, it was more of an announcement.

It doesn't run on android, its an android replacement, a replacement OS.

As for licensing there will be 2 versions.

Non-Commercial - http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/ - and a commercial sale licence. This means bob can install it on his phone and have access to source and do what he wants, even edit it. but CorporationA will not be able to put it on their new hardware and sell for a profit.

It will need its own app store, but it will also support any software that can be ported to linux/bsd or compiled as such, porting applications will be extremely simple and the app store could be massive.

How do you mean developer version? The software will allow you full root access to your OS if you require it/know how to get into it. It essentially is a full BSD installation (cut down) but most tools are there.

Yeah I head about these OSes, This is just a project really but who knows where it will take us. I still think Ubuntu, even now babies people too much for linux, so their phone will be more like iOS than android and Mozilla I cant speculate on.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: