Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:14:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: KNC Titan - My Review - The goods, The ills.  (Read 387 times)
jacobmayes94 (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 07:31:23 PM
Last edit: May 20, 2016, 07:47:27 PM by jacobmayes94

So I have been running a KNC Titan for a little while. I thought I would write a review of the KNC Titan, to let others know about the machine.

First, I ordered it from abroad. The KNC Titan is the best scrypt miner available currently. Got the machine, a total of 5 cubes.

A couple of the cubes had dead dies, one die was a little picky which was better when run at a lower clock, all other dies are at 325 with voltages tweaked by gens firmware mod to reduce them.

With gens firmware, the machine is stable. Mining on nicehash.com putting it up for rental among other things, i average 0.044 BTC a day with the machine. With an upfront cost of £2000 I paid, it worked out a very good deal based on this. Works out at 1.32 - 1.33 BTC a month. At current exchange rates thats nearly £400 monthly. Electric price is 0.11 pence kWh day, 7 hours at night is 0.4 pence, so this averages out at below 0.10 pence / kWh. My electric costs for this work out at roughly £70a month. Leaving £320 month profit.

As litecoin is being added to coinbase, among other things I may be glad i got a titan when I did.

Without gen's firmware this machine can sometimes need a restart. With his firmware, this machine becomes the stable dream. It has not been restarted apart from to test different pools.

THIS IS NOT GOOD on clevermining or most multipools! The hashrate varies wildly as it ends up mining on stale work as the multipools switch coins. Nicehash it works fine with #xnsub specified. This feels like a dream to mine BTC directly at the rate I am mining it. much more than an S7 would, with 1,500 watts of power at the wall, an average of 380 MH/s.

The machine will have paid itself off by late winter, where its heat will become free. What the bitcoin halving will do to scrypt is yet to be seen.

I plan to HODL this machine and keep it running until  I hear word of the new imnosilicon chips actually having a solid date, to which I will time my sale of the unit and it's respective power supplies. By the time the imnosilicon machines are ready, I will have ROIed and will be in the green with this machine. If what i would sell my titan for cannot come close to the imnosilicon price and its hashrate/power math isn't as good as expected, I will continue to mine with the titan until it becomes unprofitable. This could take a long time, as i can switch to running at night only with 4p /kWh. As this will only happen AFTER new HW has come out.

I get the feeling though that even when the iminosilicon comes out, this machine will be profitable for many difficulty jumps,on on UK electricity if you shop around as I did. The difficulty will remain constant on scrypt until new hardware hits the market, thats what is good about scrypt mining, new hardware DOES come out, but it is developed slowly over time and seems to be released in waves, ensuring that jumps in difficulty even out until the next big hardware release, while BTC difficulty just keeps jumping, eroding your profits bit by bit by bit (pun intended) until you are in the red, solo mining for luck seems the better option at this point on UK power costs with current BTC HW.

I can imagine with the upcoming bitcoin halving there is going to be interesting happenings in the market, if BTC price goes up and scrypt coins stay relatively close to BTC, with their difficulty relatively level (there isn't much scrypt hardware yet to up te difficulty) then this would be a dream, if the BTC price goes up after many months, I will be in the black sooner, if BTC price somehow fell, i would probably cash out at £280 a coin to prevent loss of profit.

The free heat in the winter from this machine is potentially great, thats a significant winter cost removed right there, freeing up more cash. In the summer my flat is averaging at 30 degrees with the windows closed <3  I usually kept my thermostat high and paid a fortune for it, i cannot stand the cold in any way.

With the windows open around 22. Even better : - )

Overall:

GOOD:
Profitable? Yes, quite much so. 6 months ROI at current levels. This is based on UK electricity costs with scottish power in the midlands.
Stable? Yes, with gens firmware mod - THIS IS A MUST! 60 quid, you can't go wrong. Factor this into your ROI costs. £20 for each additional titan i think
I feel based on LTC being added to coinbase, this might be a good investment. I like the concept of litecoin and the coin.
Heat (in a cold climate)
Many cubes, the chances of all cubes popping their clogs at once is very very low, so you have your money hedged ageinst HW failure to a degree, minus the controller. As you can sell cubes individually.

BAD:
Can be awkward to set up, the cube cables are not long enough
YOU MUST USE THE Y SPLITTER CABLES! cables cool to the touch when using these. EVGA 1200 PSUs.
Heat (in a hot climate)
EXPENSIVE (higher capital needed, most expensive miner on the market)
Ensure you query the seller about the dies.
You MUST use GENS firmware mod, this isnt a bad thing as such, but factor in the additional cost, but it is damn worth it. The KNC firmware sucks.

If my review helped you make a good investment, drop a tip ;' )

1JacobtFpSMx15iKNR2xmPuDLqRVYM9NWc - BTC (One Coin to rule them all,One Coin to find them,One Coin to bring them all,and in the light free them)
LXG8KNLctYyxqbK8MuStQfQwCCvJW2zApY - LTC (Great coin, silver to gold anology is nice, secure blockchain)
HT8z4mCVQn9TvnnqUpiLxYrJ7iYATe4ahT - HODLCoin (a nice coin in my opinion, good concept and i like squirrels)
BLqPUZKQfpvwP6gLUFcsQJah4p4yssf3S1 - SHT (Shames most but not all altcoins, gotta put it there, this is the shit)

P.S I am a lord of the rings fan.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: