Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:56:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SegWit is cancelled ?  (Read 2762 times)
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3486
Merit: 6144

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 05:39:53 PM

I thought it should be out in April-May but I don't see anything about it yet so I was wondering if It got cancelled or they are planning to run it on June ?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 06:05:29 PM

I thought it should be out in April-May but I don't see anything about it yet so I was wondering if It got cancelled or they are planning to run it on June ?

No, not to my knowledge. As far as I know, it would take a certain % of consensus to enable this feature, but we are seeing some delay in this consensus to form, but then again I never fully understood how segwit was going to be deployed into the main net. I think 0.12.1 already has segwit but it's just not deployed yet? something like that.
beastmodeBiscuitGravy

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 07:04:10 PM

No, not to my knowledge. As far as I know, it would take a certain % of consensus to enable this feature, but we are seeing some delay in this consensus to form, but then again I never fully understood how segwit was going to be deployed into the main net. I think 0.12.1 already has segwit but it's just not deployed yet? something like that.

0.12.1 does not include segwit. It includes the soft fork salad of "CSV" which is comprised of BIP 68, BIP 112, and BIP 113. CSV is facing somewhat slow adoption by miners and is a prerequisite for segwit which would probably be 0.12.2.

There are rumors that miners will not activate segwit until Core has coded a HF blocksize increase for them... given Core's lack of desire to do this... it could be a VERY long time before anything happens. I would be shocked to see any additional capacity before the halving comes and goes.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1570

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2016, 07:10:36 PM

There are rumors that miners will not activate segwit until Core has coded a HF blocksize increase for them... given Core's lack of desire to do this... it could be a VERY long time before anything happens. I would be shocked to see any additional capacity before the halving comes and goes.

Is there any source for this? Are you referring to P. Todd's tweet?

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
beastmodeBiscuitGravy

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 07:17:28 PM

Peter Todd's AMA on the chinese forum.

much of the hashing power has already said they're not going to run segwit until a hard-fork is released,
pawel7777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2016, 07:40:35 PM

Thanks.

So if nothing changes, there's no capacity increase happening anytime soon. Unless they push through 2mb + AsicBoost patent blocker in one hardfork.

Future is not looking very bright.

▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

.PLAY NOW.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 08:10:25 PM

Just check the Bitcoin Core roadmap which still includes SegWit... So no, it isn't cancelled.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2016, 08:17:54 PM

No. The ETA was April for the code to be released, not merged (!). There's a huge difference here and it seems like users do not know. The code is being thoroughly tested while also some missing pieces are being added. The last time that I was looking into this, the information pointed towards a release in Core 0.12.2 which is the next version.

much of the hashing power has already said they're not going to run segwit until a hard-fork is released

There's a difference between releasing code and merging it. From what I understand, the people that were part of the HK agreement are currently working on a proposal and it should be released in < 2 months.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
beastmodeBiscuitGravy

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 08:38:09 PM

No. The ETA was April for the code to be released, not merged (!). There's a huge difference here and it seems like users do not know. The code is being thoroughly tested while also some missing pieces are being added. The last time that I was looking into this, the information pointed towards a release in Core 0.12.2 which is the next version.

Yeah, the difference being whether it has some impact on the capacity of the network, or none.

much of the hashing power has already said they're not going to run segwit until a hard-fork is released

There's a difference between releasing code and merging it. From what I understand, the people that were part of the HK agreement are currently working on a proposal and it should be released in < 2 months.

So Core is planning to author a HF pull req that they have zero intention of merging... I'm sure that'll go over well with miners.

Here's what the guy with 25-30% of the hashrate says:

All this year, by you and others, we were told "Segwit in April!"

Now, you say < 2 months... Is this some kind of twist on the BFL "2 weeks" strategy? 
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 2327

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 08:41:02 PM

All this year, by you and others, we were told "Segwit in April!"

Now, you say < 2 months... Is this some kind of twist on the BFL "2 weeks" strategy? 

Sounds about right lol.

No segwit is not cancelled. SegWit is critical for LN to work which is critical (in addition to not raising the maximum block size) to blockstream ever becoming profitable.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2016, 08:41:57 PM
Last edit: May 21, 2016, 09:11:20 PM by Lauda

All this year, by you and others, we were told "Segwit in April!" Now, you say < 2 months... Is this some kind of twist on the BFL "2 weeks" strategy?  
That "< 2 months" has nothing to do with Segwit. It was the time left until the HF had to be proposed (as per agreement it was 'up to 3 months after SW code was release'). I can't tell you any exact dates, and I doubt that anyone can. Pushing something too early could end up being a huge disaster.

Update: No. Stop trying to manipulate with word-play; that's not what I was talking about nor what your reply was about.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
pawel7777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2016, 08:53:20 PM

...SegWit is critical for LN to work which is critical (in addition to not raising the maximum block size) to blockstream ever becoming profitable.

Has anyone from the Blockstream actually clarified on what's their revenue generation model yet? I reckon they must have pitched to investors with something bigger than LN.

▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

.PLAY NOW.
beastmodeBiscuitGravy

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 09:06:22 PM
Last edit: May 21, 2016, 09:20:05 PM by beastmodeBiscuitGravy

All this year, by you and others, we were told "Segwit in April!" Now, you say < 2 months... Is this some kind of twist on the BFL "2 weeks" strategy?  
That "< 2 months" has nothing to do with Segwit. It was the time left until the HF had to be proposed (as per agreement it was 'up to 3 months after SW code was release'). I can't tell you any exact dates, and I doubt that anyone can. Pushing something too early could end up being a huge disaster.

Let’s connect some dots here. Don’t worry, I’ll guide you.

If miners will not activate segwit until HF code is released, tested, and compiled for use (see above statement by 30% miner, he could block segwit himself)… Your < 2 months applies to both segwit and the HF binary releases.

See? So it doesn’t have nothing to do with segwit, it has everything to do with segwit.

Update: No. If anyone is manipulating with word-play… it is you, and those that you do PR for. “Release” magically morphing into “Pull Req”, for example.
rizzlarolla

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 09:31:49 PM

Is segwit cancelled?

No, (not yet) just not made yet, just not tested yet, just not released yet.

The code is being thoroughly tested while also some missing pieces are being added.

How can it be thoroughly tested while still adding "missing" bits?
Cuidler

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 09:33:24 PM

...SegWit is critical for LN to work which is critical (in addition to not raising the maximum block size) to blockstream ever becoming profitable.

Has anyone from the Blockstream actually clarified on what's their revenue generation model yet? I reckon they must have pitched to investors with something bigger than LN.

I doubt Blockstream can profit from LN, as anybody can use similar features, just look at Thunder alpha testing from Blockchain.info - and their online wallet definitively have most Bitcoin users, so Blockstream LN could not even compete here to be most used. I guess you have to look elsewhere for Blockstream investments revenue model.

About the SegWit, bit delayed but Im confident in one or two months it become activated by miners after most wallet implement it - no point now anyway when wallets not ready.

.Liqui Exchange.Trade and earn 24% / year on BTC, LTC, ETH
....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2016, 09:46:36 PM
Last edit: May 21, 2016, 10:10:10 PM by Lauda

-snip-
Update: No.
Either you are, or you misinterpreted my initial words. What I initially said "< 2 months", i.e. my statement had nothing to do with Segwit, but the release of the HF code as per HK agreement. Aside from that, I'm not particularly interested in "I won't do X, until you do Y" games nor the correlation between the releases.

If anyone is manipulating with word-play… it is you, and those that you do PR for.
That would be my cat. My cat does not make mistakes.

The code is being thoroughly tested while also some missing pieces are being added.
How can it be thoroughly tested while still adding "missing" bits?
Take a look at the to-do list.

Update: Again, I have never said that there's no correlation between the HF code and Segwit. I said that there's no correlation in my post, which there isn't as it was solely about the time remaining until HF code needs to be released.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
beastmodeBiscuitGravy

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 09:57:14 PM

-snip-
Update: No.
Either you are, or you misinterpreted my initial words. What I initially said "< 2 months", i.e. my statement had nothing to do with Segwit, but the release of the HF code as per HK agreement. Aside from that, I'm not particularly interested in "I won't do X, until you do Y" games nor the correlation between the releases.

And I just helpfully demonstrated to you how the two are intimately and inextricably linked together. You apparently just want to just stick your fingers in your ears and say “lalalalalalamycat”…

I will leave the decision up to you, gentle reader, if you wish to do the same.
rizzlarolla

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 10:17:02 PM

Take a look at the to-do list.

"* Do tests in a mixed network of upgraded and non-upgraded nodes."

That should take a while.
Then when all these parts are put together, all that will need testing.
Far more than a small block increase, which is more predictable.

Part of the problem of promising something that still needed making.
With no back up plan for delays, proper testing time or lack of general adoption.

Cuidler

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 10:22:34 PM
Last edit: May 21, 2016, 10:35:38 PM by Cuidler

And I just helpfully demonstrated to you how the two are intimately and inextricably linked together.

You see just what you want to see. Jihan Wu might just mean no SegWit activation until fully tested and ready (in wallet as a feature to send coins using new SegWit transactions). It would make sence. And if no hard fork delivered as promised around July, miners can just merge BIP109 or some variation of this like with longer grace period + higher voting treshold as there is consensus between miners + market for this, so no big deal anyway.

.Liqui Exchange.Trade and earn 24% / year on BTC, LTC, ETH
....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
beastmodeBiscuitGravy

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 10:35:32 PM

And I just helpfully demonstrated to you how the two are intimately and inextricably linked together.

You see just what you want to see. Jihan Wu might just mean no SegWit activation until fully ready and tested (in wallet as a feature to send coins using new SegWit transactions). It would make sence. And if no hard fork delivered as promised around July, miners can just merge BIP109 or some variation of this like with longer grace period + higher treshold as there is consensus between miners + market for this, so no big deal anyway.

For the scrolling impaired:

much of the hashing power has already said they're not going to run segwit until a hard-fork is released,

Maybe I'm just reading what Peter Todd wants to see? I guess it's possible.

Jihan's tweet was in reference to the word-play that Core and their PR team is now using, where "release" = "pull req".

Gregory Maxwell called Adam, Luke, Peter, BlueMatt all dipshits for even agreeing to a hard fork in July 2017, and you think it is easy peasy to get done... Well, I guess optimism can be good trait. Delusional optimism? not so much.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1330553.msg14835202#msg14835202
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: