Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 06:25:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SegWit is cancelled ?  (Read 2762 times)
Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 07:16:13 PM

-snip-
Update: No.
Either you are, or you misinterpreted my initial words. What I initially said "< 2 months", i.e. my statement had nothing to do with Segwit, but the release of the HF code as per HK agreement. Aside from that, I'm not particularly interested in "I won't do X, until you do Y" games nor the correlation between the releases.

And I just helpfully demonstrated to you how the two are intimately and inextricably linked together. You apparently just want to just stick your fingers in your ears and say “lalalalalalamycat”…

I will leave the decision up to you, gentle reader, if you wish to do the same.

That Lauda Girl is a joke.

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/4k8rsa/maxwell_the_vandal_calls_adam_luke_and_peter_todd/
https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/4k74cr/maaku7_i_dont_know_anyone_who_is_actually_working/
https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/4khh07/hello_china_hello_chinese_miners_what_are_you/
https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/4kipvu/samsung_mow_austinhill_blockstream_now_its_time/
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4500

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 08:12:47 PM

are people even listening to lauda..

he doesnt even know C++,
Whoever I've asked previously (as I don't do C++ myself) said that the complexity is overblown by a 'certain group'.

proof he has to seek guidance from his blockstreamer buddies

he even thought bitcoin-core was coded in java...
January 17th 2016 20:24    
Lauda:    Bitcoin does not use Java right?

meaning he cant even recognise java to know core is not java.
he has no coding experience nor personally used segwit testnet.. all he has done was got info from blockstreamers about how many unicorns it can handle flying through the clouds

he is just a blockstream PR guy, on the side of theymos..

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
rizzlarolla

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 08:31:45 PM
Last edit: May 22, 2016, 10:30:00 PM by rizzlarolla

are people even listening to lauda..

he doesnt even know C++,
Whoever I've asked previously (as I don't do C++ myself) said that the complexity is overblown by a 'certain group'.

proof he has to seek guidance from his blockstreamer buddies

he even thought bitcoin-core was coded in java...
January 17th 2016 20:24    
Lauda:    Bitcoin does not use Java right?

meaning he cant even recognise java to know core is not java.
he has no coding experience nor personally used segwit testnet.. all he has done was got info from blockstreamers about how many unicorns it can handle flying through the clouds

he is just a blockstream PR guy, on the side of theymos..

I suspect that reflects the bias of the site owner to employ such people.

No definitive, or even defined explanation on segwit here.
or anywhere.

Remember though, Carlton says,
" If you're unaware of the [core segwit] scaling plans and their level of progress/acceptance, you only have yourself to blame."

slightly edited.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 08:53:51 PM

" If you're unaware of the [core segwit] scaling plans and their level of progress/acceptance, you only have yourself to blame."

lol carlton. lol another PR guy that cant quote stats or realistic information and tries the word twisting game.

but in the fluffy clouds of testnet, segwit is perfect...... carlton and lauda will tell you segwit is perfect, without them even personally knowing a single line of code.

not only did lauda fail at coding but carlton could not even explain the basics of uninstalling a program in linux..
so when i see them two mouth pieces talk.. all i see is the words "blockstream PR department word of the day"

its truly funny how blockstream are dead against 2mb of block data using traditional transactions along with linear signature validation..
but blindly think that 2.85mb of segwit+confidential payment codes+other features is acceptable.. while only allowing the same amount of transaction capacity as 2mb of traditional transactions.

and also funny that their roadmap allows for 5.7mb blocks when blockstream decide its ok for the hard fork.. yet they cant explain what network bandwidth restrictions are currently preventing 2mb now but weirdly and suddenly not an issue for 5.7mb next year...

if i was to type blockstreamers mindset into a program.. id get endless logic errors

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
rizzlarolla

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 09:13:42 PM

lol carlton. lol another PR guy that cant quote states and tries the word twisting game.

but in the fluffy clouds of testnet segwit is perfect...... carlton and lauda will tell you segwit is perfect, without them even personally knowing a single line of code.

not only did lauda fail at coding but carlton could not even explain the basics of uninstalling a program in linux..
so when i see them two mouth pieces talk.. all i see is the words "blockstream PR department rambles"

What do you estimate the best case for segwit to have any effect on tx backlog, tx's that I presume are supposed to keep growing.
(remember bitcoin adoption?)

Anyway, 6 months minimum before segwit has any effect on tx backlog, probably, most likely longer.
Then, even worse, segwit will be rushed and effectively released untested.

Who has access to this segwit/presegwit testnet?

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 09:44:15 PM
Last edit: May 22, 2016, 09:56:44 PM by franky1

What do you estimate the best case for segwit to have any effect on tx backlog, tx's that I presume are supposed to keep growing.
Anyway, 6 months minimum before segwit has any effect on tx backlog, probably, most likely longer.

(a)IF segwit was active in 2016 (before LN, before CPC is a thing) then segwit possibly could handle 1.8x current block capacity..(for 1.8mb real data)
(b)IF segwit was active in 2017 due to the request to include the 2mb hard fork aswell (making the 5.7mb total bloat with CPC or 3.6mb without CPC) then the capacity would be ~3x current capacity

now for the backlog question..

no one knows how many people will transact in the future..

imagining lets say only 2500tx average are let in a block currently[1] .. but where 5000 people doing individual transactions every 10 minutes (backlog example)
[1] estimate based on block 412946 & block 412945 being recent and offering around 2500tx for 998kb

segwit in 2016 would still not quite allow all them transactions in.. (average allowance increases to 4500tx)
segwit+HF 2017 would (as the capacity is about 7600tx per block) as long as popularity stayed below 7600 people making tx per 10 minute(average).

its available for anyone to download the testnet release on github.

rizzlarolla

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 09:57:58 PM

so no segwit benefit for ages yet?, if ever.
(you lost me a bit there, need more time to compute)

But can anyone test such theories as (i think yours) a miner including a segwit block, pre segwit, to then activate later?
Or would that be off scope/unpredictable to achieve in test mode.

Quantus
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 10:07:52 PM

I nominate Lauda to be the official spokes person for core. :p

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
beastmodeBiscuitGravy

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 10:13:41 PM

Agreed.

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 10:39:43 PM

so no segwit benefit for ages yet?, if ever.
(you lost me a bit there, need more time to compute)

But can anyone test such theories as (i think yours) a miner including a segwit block, pre segwit, to then activate later?

my first scenario(2016) was under the guise of pools processing segwit in 2016 like the original promise was (plan pre-roundtable)
.. after all many thought that all this soft fork promises meant that people could see segwit blocks on mainnet this summer...
.. remember those funny days when blockstreamers said softforks didnt need network consensus as they were 100% compatible and perfect..
my second scenario(2017) was under the guise of pools processing segwit only when a HF is also active (plan post round table)

hv_
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2016, 07:11:08 AM

(a)IF segwit was active in 2016 (before LN, before CPC is a thing) then segwit possibly could handle 1.8x current block capacity..(for 1.8mb real data)
(b)IF segwit was active in 2017 due to the request to include the 2mb hard fork aswell (making the 5.7mb total bloat with CPC or 3.6mb without CPC) then the capacity would be ~3x current capacity

now for the backlog question..

no one knows how many people will transact in the future..

imagining lets say only 2500tx average are let in a block currently[1] .. but where 5000 people doing individual transactions every 10 minutes (backlog example)
[1] estimate based on block 412946 & block 412945 being recent and offering around 2500tx for 998kb

segwit in 2016 would still not quite allow all them transactions in.. (average allowance increases to 4500tx)
segwit+HF 2017 would (as the capacity is about 7600tx per block) as long as popularity stayed below 7600 people making tx per 10 minute(average).

its available for anyone to download the testnet release on github.

Thanks for those facts.

I really dont get the logic - how could a HF be in the roadmap  and is soooo dangerous right now? How will this 'HF fear' be eased and selled in 2017?

BTW:  THE  HF  is already in the making.  The comunity is hard forked and btc forked  into eth ....

Fees are higher now, yes - but if peace & adoption & price would be higher, miners would be happier.

Happy days!

Carpe diem  -  understand the White Paper and mine honest.
Fix real world issues: Check out b-vote.com
The simple way is the genius way - Satoshi's Rules: humana veris _
hv_
Legendary

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2016, 07:54:15 PM

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/antpool-will-not-run-segwit-without-block-size-increase-hard-fork-1464028753

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2016, 08:17:20 PM

That is definitely not a position that one would enjoy being in.

Thanks for those facts.
I wouldn't call them facts.

Welcome to Drama-Land, where instead of trying to push forward, we try to keep stalling. I'm now curious as to how this one is going to play out.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
hv_
Legendary

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2016, 08:39:38 PM

That is definitely not a position that one would enjoy being in.

Thanks for those facts.
I wouldn't call them facts.

Welcome to Drama-Land, where instead of trying to push forward, we try to keep stalling. I'm now curious as to how this one is going to play out.

Easy to fix. Majority wants the entire package incl HF, so it will be done w/o any real issues.

Leads to reunion and peace.

Happy days

owm123

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 23, 2016, 09:24:32 PM

I thought it should be out in April-May but I don't see anything about it yet so I was wondering if It got cancelled or they are planning to run it on June ?

You may still for it. NOt everyone wants SW as soft fork:
https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/antpool-will-not-run-segwit-without-block-size-increase-hard-fork-1464028753

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2016, 09:27:17 PM

Easy to fix. Majority wants the entire package incl HF, so it will be done w/o any real issues.

Happy days
Exactly how did you measure this "majority"? Please enlighten me.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
rizzlarolla

View Profile
May 23, 2016, 09:32:25 PM

Happy days

Agreed,

Who the hell wants a delayed, buggy segwit at this stage.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2016, 10:39:22 PM

Agreed,
Who the hell wants a delayed, buggy segwit at this stage.
It isn't neither delayed nor 'buggy' at this point either. I don't recall anyone 'promising' a merge in April.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 2327

View Profile
May 23, 2016, 11:02:45 PM

Happy days
Unfortunately it is impossible (or nearly impossible) to measure the "majority" in bitcoinland. There is simply too diverse of a population of stakeholders to possibly be able to accurately be able to poll all of them, in addition to the fact that the various stakeholders of Bitcoin may have competing interests and may not be in line with the best interests of Bitcoin. Some stakeholders may not even own nor use Bitcoin currently.

I would personally opine that major economic companies (collectively, not individually) should be the ones who decide if a HF (or features for a potential HF) should be adopted, as they ultimately are the ones who give bitcoin it's value and they are the ones who can best measure the opinions of Bitcoin users (as if several large of their customers are in favor of, or opposed to a certain proposal they would know, and they would be able to easily filter out sockpuppet type opinions because they can easily measure by transaction volume). I would also say that the opinions of the miners should be given fairly strong weight due to the fact that (as of now) they have invested heavily in what is essentially the success of Bitcoin and their best interests are generally going to be in line with that of Bitcoin.

I would say that it looks like that they figured out that Blockstream et al. doesn't have any intention of actually delivering a HF that increases the maximum block size, and they want to be sure that they will not get tricked into giving Blockstream et al. what they wanted and not get what they bargained for in the end.
beastmodeBiscuitGravy

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2016, 11:08:17 PM
Last edit: May 24, 2016, 01:19:18 AM by beastmodeBiscuitGravy

-snip-
I would say that it looks like that they figured out that Blockstream et al. doesn't have any intention of actually delivering a HF that increases the maximum block size, and they want to be sure that they will not get tricked into giving Blockstream et al. what they wanted and not get what they bargained for in the end.

Bingo
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: