Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:15:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanity address  (Read 1187 times)
Batmanvsduecare (OP)

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 08:13:48 AM

I want to make a vanity bitcoin address, I do not intend to make any btc deposit on it, just for signing messages.
Is there a reliable way to have one ? Can I import the private keys to another desktop wallet like electrum ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2016, 08:29:00 AM
Merited by ABCbits (2)

I want to make a vanity bitcoin address, I do not intend to make any btc deposit on it, just for signing messages.
Is there a reliable way to have one ? Can I import the private keys to another desktop wallet like electrum ?

Vanitygen

Yes, you can import into electrum, but the imported address will not be covered by the seed and will be stored in a different wallet file.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Batmanvsduecare (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 08:38:03 AM
Last edit: May 22, 2016, 09:47:15 AM by Batmanvsduecare

Vanitygen

Yes, you can import into electrum, but the imported address will not be covered by the seed and will be stored in a different wallet file.

Not covered by seed in electrum is a bit problematic, although I don't intend to put any bitcoin in it, I don't want to lose it eaither in case of PC crash.
How to make sure to never lose the vanity address ? Print the private keys on paper ?

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2016, 01:02:31 PM
Merited by ABCbits (2)

Vanitygen

Not covered by seed in electrum is a bit problematic, although I don't intend to put any bitcoin in it, I don't want to lose it eaither in case of PC crash.
How to make sure to never lose the vanity address ? Print the private keys on paper ?

You need to secure the private key, yes. If on paper works for you, sure. You could also encrypt the wallet and create a digital backup or whatever else makes the most sense in your situation.
It would be nice to have a seed that would cover a vanity address, but it would require brute forcing the matching seed as its impossible to shove any private key into a seed in hindsight.

Quartx

Activity: 1036
Merit: 504

Becoming legend, but I took merit to the knee :(

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2016, 01:16:04 PM

For security purposes, you should use the vanity address only for receiving and never let it be in the address for too long. Electum and Armory both supports importing of private keys into seed wallets but they will not be restored should you lose/delete the wallet data. Seed will only recover seed wallet. Private keys storage if you really want to keep a backup I would suggest a paper wallet, an old phone, or a device in which it will last but will not have any internet connection at all. Best thing would be to split the private keys to different offline locations, maybe half on paper + location of 2nd half and keep it in your physical wallet or someplace safe. Multibit HD do not support importing of private keys though so take note.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2016, 07:04:17 PM

For security purposes, you should use the vanity address only for receiving and never let it be in the address for too long. Electum and Armory both supports importing of private keys into seed wallets but they will not be restored should you lose/delete the wallet data.

You should update to electrum 2.

Batmanvsduecare (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 07:17:43 PM

For security purposes, you should use the vanity address only for receiving and never let it be in the address for too long. Electum and Armory both supports importing of private keys into seed wallets but they will not be restored should you lose/delete the wallet data.

You should update to electrum 2.

I have the latest version of it: Electrum 2.6.4 I will make a vanity address and will see how it works for me, thank you all for the great help.

Angell

Activity: 565
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 23, 2016, 12:10:02 AM

Just use common sense man and you will not have any problems, people lose their money because they aren't thinking what they are doing. Save your private key somewhere safe and that's it. Smiley

DarkStar_
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3282

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2016, 12:32:28 AM

For security purposes, you should use the vanity address only for receiving and never let it be in the address for too long. Electum and Armory both supports importing of private keys into seed wallets but they will not be restored should you lose/delete the wallet data. Seed will only recover seed wallet. Private keys storage if you really want to keep a backup I would suggest a paper wallet, an old phone, or a device in which it will last but will not have any internet connection at all. Best thing would be to split the private keys to different offline locations, maybe half on paper + location of 2nd half and keep it in your physical wallet or someplace safe. Multibit HD do not support importing of private keys though so take note.
TLDR? : Do what you did to your seed that you got when you get your private key after converting it into the vanity private key. If you memorized your seed, than you will have to come up with some other possibility. Maybe split the key up to multiple chunks, maybe email yourself one chunk, print one chunk, and memorize a small chunk of it. Pretty safe method. I don't really see a problem in not having a seed, and all my addresses where I receive bitcoins are vanity. (My main one that starts with 1STAR, and my 1Loan# addresses)

taking a break - expect delayed responses
Batmanvsduecare (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2016, 10:33:13 AM

I am now the proud owner of address 1BatmanNCwnDs58jE8anaHeYQF6cttWTTm

Signed message:

Hello bitcointalk I am Batmanvsduecare and this is my vanity address for future verification of my identity

Address:

1BatmanNCwnDs58jE8anaHeYQF6cttWTTm

Signature:

G/5g9qPHEVv8MYtXqQd27CnC87BXTBH2Wtgi2Hoy1UckL0yOb3a3ZuPgyShjp+j6LH69TQUYNfxqASXXHyv2Up4=

Verify and quote for future reference, thanks to all.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: