Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 08:59:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is Ethereum actually the only cryptocurrency worth GPU mining?  (Read 12015 times)
acaciosc (OP)

Activity: 325
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 08:00:38 PM

I don't understand why others ASIC resistant cryptocurrencies such as Vertcoin and Monero aren't worth mining. At all. It's not worth buying a high-end GPU to mine these coins even for those who don't have to pay for electricity bill. But I do. And it's pretty expensive here (~$0.121) .

I'm about to buy (1) R9 280x HIS R9 280X IceQ Boost Clock 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E DLDVI-I/HDMI/2xMini DP + (1) 750W PSU. I'm confident that I will be able to ROI, but it seems too risky because nothing else is worth mining with it besides Ethereum.
Tmdz

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 08:20:28 PM

Its a combo of the coin price, mining rewards and difficulty.

It will take a long time to roi if you don't own any preexisting gear already.  The 280x only hashes about 20 mh and if you spent 80 for the psu and 200 for the gpu that's $280, so you are looking at more than 3 months with free electricity.  Which I guess isnt bad but not that long ago you could payoff gpu's in about a month, also difficulty is continuing to rise more with the high value of eth.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 08:33:52 PM

It will take a long time to roi if you don't own any preexisting gear already.  The 280x only hashes about 20 mh and if you spent 80 for the psu and 200 for the gpu that's $280, so you are looking at more than 3 months with free electricity.  Which I guess isnt bad but not that long ago you could payoff gpu's in about a month, also difficulty is continuing to rise more with the high value of eth.

you don't need to roi on equipment, only on gpu, equipment are always useful for future upgrade and future mining

everyone here is talking like the mining will die after ethereum, there is nothing more wrong

we will talk about another more profitable coin in 1-2 years, guaranteed...
acaciosc (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 08:50:47 PM

What about market cap?
acaciosc (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 08:52:28 PM

everyone here is talking like the mining will die after ethereum, there is nothing more wrong

How can you be so sure?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 09:02:48 PM

How can you be so sure?

because it happened like 3 times already or maybe even more? since 2013 there was always something to mine form time to time, it's not like ethereum was the only coin profitable since altcoin scene went all out
acaciosc (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 09:10:02 PM

How can you be so sure?

because it happened like 3 times already or maybe even more? since 2013 there was always something to mine form time to time, it's not like ethereum was the only coin profitable since altcoin scene went all out

So what? Just because it happened 3 times previously it doesn't mean that it will be the very same thing from now on. I wish I could be that confident.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 09:10:31 PM

Its sound like you want a guaranteed investment and its not the way it works.

Its like the stock market, investment is always risky and you can lose everything.

Right now mining ETH is like free money, and who doesn't want free money. Opportunities like this are always short lived.

Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 09:12:54 PM

How can you be so sure?

You can't.....last big profit coin to GPU mine was well over a year ago.It just appears to be a "cycle".

I read up on quite a few altcoins (over 150) over the past several years & thought a few had it in them to go big,but nope......not sure why they didn't.....

Eth is a fluke that actually may move up past or equal to BTC,whoda thunk??  Cheesy

At least GPU's "store" their value in resale  Cool

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
limbaugh
Legendary

Activity: 1311

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 09:19:47 PM

At least until the new gen are released in a few months. Then the resale plummets. Too risky.
Kray

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 09:20:49 PM

Ethereum still worth because

1. Coin price
2. Difficulty

it's still profitable with R9 280 until three month from now
limbaugh
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 09:27:18 PM

it's still profitable with R9 280 until three month from now

Let's revisit this post after the DAO sale ends.
antantti
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 09:34:51 PM

At least until the new gen are released in a few months. Then the resale plummets. Too risky.

What was the last GPU you owned?

limbaugh
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 09:41:47 PM

Got a basement full of 280x and 7970's
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 09:45:13 PM

At least GPU's "store" their value in resale  Cool

Well,my 7970 was bought in 2012 for $325,still worth $100-150 today,after making over $1200 in BTC/Doge/FTC/ETH   Cool

6950's did ok,made about $600+ each & resold for $50  Cool

Soooo,what's this about resale value Huh  Grin

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
antantti
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 09:57:22 PM

Well,my 7970 was bought in 2012 for $325,still worth $100-150 today,after making over $1200 each in BTC/Doge/FTC/ETH   Cool

6950's did ok,made about $600+ each & resold for $50  Cool

Soooo,what's this about resale value Huh  Grin

Doesn't look like plummeting to me (smile). I have some 7970's I have been trying to sell but it looks like I can only dream about prices above 100...

adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 09:59:40 PM

Even with new GPU generations out the value does't plummet. Its still worth close to 50% of what you paid.

catlove

Activity: 168

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 10:02:34 PM

I had most of the gear and bought a bunch of video cards a month ago, when I started it estimated I would pay my cards off in a month, now it says three. It's a fun hobby but at the rate difficulty is increasing its no big money maker.
acaciosc (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 10:03:57 PM

Its sound like you want a guaranteed investment and its not the way it works.

Its like the stock market, investment is always risky and you can lose everything.

Right now mining ETH is like free money, and who doesn't want free money. Opportunities like this are always short lived.

This. But the simple fact of having to turn on mining rigs to run for 24 hours every single day is a red light to me. I mean... burned rigs are not so unusual. I'm not necessarily expecting a "get rich fast and free" scheme, but investing in equipments that theoretically can be very lucrative - or a nightmare - if you are disposed (and also able, of course) to discard a big amount of money, which could be better used for some important thing. So yes, I'm expecting a "guaranteed investment" (or at least close to this scenario). Even because I already got screwed in the cryptocurrency world when I went too far by investing in cloud mining. Yeap, that's a dumb thing to do, I know. I learned it the hard way.

I know that ETH is right now good to go. But that's it. The only option actually is Ethereum. Difficulty keeps rising astoundingly fast, so I expect it won't take so much time for it to stop being profitable. At least not for the average Joe, who needs to pay his electric bill, internet provider, etc..
limbaugh
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 10:06:01 PM
Last edit: May 22, 2016, 10:18:19 PM by limbaugh

I had most of the gear and bought a bunch of video cards a month ago, when I started it estimated I would pay my cards off in a month, now it says three. It's a fun hobby but at the rate difficulty is increasing its no big money maker.
Funny you would have been up 50% if you had just bought coins.

Its a mistake newcomers continue to make. Trying to get theirs but it already gone. Even after warnings from the community veterans.

Buy coins not gear.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: