Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:04:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcointalk needs to be more noob friendly  (Read 5571 times)
ltc

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 04:06:20 PM

My assumption is that all those unfriendly actions are mostly to get rid of constant spam autopost attempts and to prevent scammers from registering hundreds of accounts. It's a pity I have to wait for a while until I post outside newbie section but that's the only way to go to keep this board clean.

"The only way?" I very much doubt that.

What's your proposition? To introduce invite only system? To introduce fees for registration? Those are much more unfriendly actions to my taste. So many popular boards suffer from automated ad submissions nowadays, I can hardly recognize captchas while registering.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mootinator

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 04:24:29 PM

What's your proposition? To introduce invite only system? To introduce fees for registration? Those are much more unfriendly actions to my taste. So many popular boards suffer from automated ad submissions nowadays, I can hardly recognize captchas while registering.

Well, Stack Overflow, for instance gets by just fine while still allowing complete noobs to post questions. While not a forum, per se, Jeff Atwood has gone and tried to apply similar principles to his new open source forum software. http://www.discourse.org/

I've been on plenty of forums, and this is the first time I've come across sandboxing noobs.

No
mootinator

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 04:40:35 PM

Have those forums have had over 70k members, I doubt it. Welcome to the internet buddy, I been on plenty of forums as well and a lot of them do have newbie only boards until you gain trust. Also discourse solution is to make everyone a mod at some point you gain, well guess what that is the wrong way to handle it. A very wrong way to handle it. Right now this works and if you don't like it go start your own bitcoin forum or better yet there are other bitcoin forums. UGH noobies just take your lumps like everyone else, I did it when I joined and I didn't complaint once I did what was asked and now look.

This is the kind of crap I'm talking about. I'm just engaging with another noob because I'm required to do so by the ridiculous constraints of this forum and I get crapped on by some self-righteous "veteran". Yes, in fact, one of the other forums I'm on has over 70k members and you can post anywhere as a noob. Allowing everyone the opportunity to accumulate enough trust to have some part in moderation is really the only way to deal with the scale of problems you run into with large communities. Ones that don't realize this are doomed to fail because of terrible signal/noise ratio eventually because the time/post contraints don't prove anything.

No
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 04:48:00 PM

Have those forums have had over 70k members, I doubt it. Welcome to the internet buddy, I been on plenty of forums as well and a lot of them do have newbie only boards until you gain trust. Also discourse solution is to make everyone a mod at some point you gain, well guess what that is the wrong way to handle it. A very wrong way to handle it. Right now this works and if you don't like it go start your own bitcoin forum or better yet there are other bitcoin forums. UGH noobies just take your lumps like everyone else, I did it when I joined and I didn't complaint once I did what was asked and now look.

This is the kind of crap I'm talking about. I'm just engaging with another noob because I'm required to do so by the ridiculous constraints of this forum and I get crapped on by some self-righteous "veteran". Yes, in fact, one of the other forums I'm on has over 70k members and you can post anywhere as a noob. Allowing everyone the opportunity to accumulate enough trust to have some part in moderation is really the only way to deal with the scale of problems you run into with large communities. Ones that don't realize this are doomed to fail because of terrible signal/noise ratio eventually because the time/post contraints don't prove anything.

Then leave cause this forum is obviously not for you it is ok. You can't handle it, go home dude. Also I doubt it has 70k+ members and is actually having decent discussions about things. I really find it hard to believe. No that is the wrong way to handle forum moding, cause all you have to do is get one rouge person and your forum is done for. Also I am not self-righteous, I know the forum rules and I play by them and look at were I am, I could live off bitcoins if I wanted too mostly because of this forum.

Dude it is this simple either be a good little noob and learn something about bitcoin and then participate in the talkings or just leave, cause your one of those noobs who I know is going to just bring crap if your starting with crap right now. I really don't want see a post from your whining about scammers and how people are mean to you.
KWH
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 04:52:11 PM

When the subject of buying BTC with Paypal comes up, I often remember this: 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
mootinator

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 04:56:21 PM

Then leave cause this forum is obviously not for you it is ok. You can't handle it, go home dude. Also I doubt it has 70k+ members and is actually having decent discussions about things. I really find it hard to believe. No that is the wrong way to handle forum moding, cause all you have to do is get one rouge person and your forum is done for. Also I am not self-righteous, I know the forum rules and I play by them and look at were I am, I could live off bitcoins if I wanted too mostly because of this forum.

Dude it is this simple either be a good little noob and learn something about bitcoin and then participate in the talkings or just leave, cause your one of those noobs who I know is going to just bring crap if your starting with crap right now. I really don't want see a post from your whining about scammers and how people are mean to you.

I'm not a noob, I know plenty of things about bitcoin. I just hadn't found occasion to post.  Unlike 90% of the people trying to get out of noob-land here I'm at least posting something of substance instead of random postcount++ crap. And of course you choose me to crap on because you're apparently some sort of sociopath.

If you think it only takes one rogue person and your forum is done for, you obviously haven't participated in Stack Overflow at all. Yes, anyone can earn some moderation powers, yes, it has several hundred thousand users.  Obviously there are checks and balances in place to prevent any of the thousands of people from causing a serious issue. Discourse is an attempt to apply the same principles to a forum. Is it relatively new and unproven? Yes. Does that mean it's the wrong way of doing things? Hell no. Has it occurred to you that perhaps you're the one need to do some learning before you comment on something?

No
ltc

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 04:58:58 PM

The difference between this board and stackoverflow and the reason this newbie restrictions exist is the subject of the discussion. Stackoverflow don't have to deal with inrush of scammers because no one goes there to make an investment. Anonymity+investment environment attract many of undesirable users and I see them post here constantly. Restrictions for freshly registered accounts help to slow them down a little bit with their annoying promotions.
mootinator

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 05:04:18 PM

That's not really true. There's enough incentive to post spam on any high traffic site, you just don't see it there because it gets dealt with swiftly.

No
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 05:04:58 PM

I'm not a noob, I know plenty of things about bitcoin. I just hadn't found occasion to post.  Unlike 90% of the people trying to get out of noob-land here I'm at least posting something of substance instead of random postcount++ crap. And of course you choose me to crap on because you're apparently some sort of sociopath.

If you think it only takes one rogue person and your forum is done for, you obviously haven't participated in Stack Overflow at all. Yes, anyone can earn some moderation powers, yes, it has several hundred thousand users.  Obviously there are checks and balances in place to prevent any of the thousands of people from causing a serious issue. Discourse is an attempt to apply the same principles to a forum. Is it relatively new and unproven? Yes. Does that mean it's the wrong way of doing things? Hell no. Has it occurred to you that perhaps you're the one need to do some learning before you comment on something?

Moderation powers are dangerous here. For instance, a rouge mod can purposely change the payment addresses of transactions to steal bitcoins. There's a lot more reasons why it would work there and not here.
mootinator

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 05:09:43 PM

Moderation powers are dangerous here. For instance, a rouge mod can purposely change the payment addresses of transactions to steal bitcoins. There's a lot more reasons why it would work there and not here.

Well sure, that's why you'd give many people 'vote to lock/reopen/delete' type privileges and give almost nobody 'edit' privileges here. Differences in what makes sense for the site doesn't make the entire approach invalid.

No
KWH
Legendary

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 05:14:25 PM

Well sure, that's why you'd give many people 'vote to lock/reopen/delete' type privileges and give almost nobody 'edit' privileges here. Differences in what makes sense for the site doesn't make the entire approach invalid.

Can anyone guess what these 2 have in common?

mootinator and  

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
mootinator

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 05:18:13 PM

You clearly haven't used stackoverflow for very long, they have there own mods while you think that you get power from that in fact, there is a moderation core group just like here and the report to moderator link. So you need to do research on that. I am just reading your postings from here and I see it is crap and this isn't substance, this is just a rant of you complaining. How am I a sociopath cause I think you shouldn't whine about the newbie restrictions? Yeah...

Yeah, I've only been a regular there for two years and interviewed for a job, clearly that means I skipped over the irrelevant to this discussion detail of the core moderator group because I don't know anything about it, not because it's irrelevant to this discussion.

No
mootinator

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 05:20:45 PM

mootinator and  

Same thing these 2 have in common?

KWH and

No
KWH
Legendary

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 05:25:34 PM

mootinator and  

Same thing these 2 have in common?

mootinator and

Congrats, you only had to edit it what, 2-3 times?

Albert Einstein
mootinator

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 05:27:38 PM

Yup. My only regret is that now everyone is going to send bitcoins to the wrong address!

No
KWH
Legendary

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 05:31:24 PM

Yup. My only regret is that now everyone is going to send bitcoins to the wrong address!

I have a feeling this is just one day in your sad, unfair life but it could be even worse that I suspect. Maybe that's why you are crying a river. Anyone have a tissue for mootinator?

Albert Einstein
mootinator

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 05:39:50 PM

LMAO only 2 years, I been around there since 2009, and if you got the job there then you clearly need to research more information on the company your working for. Cause you don't know even how the core moderation group works cause you can't say it has checks and balances when it clearly doesn't when the wizard of oz is pulling the ropes behind a curtain. You need to do your research before even talking again, that your downfall.

Community Team > Elected Community Moderators > Trusted Users...

I don't see how any of that matters. Nobody who doesn't direct access to the database can take any significant actions without leaving an audit trail visible to at the very least a few thousand people.

No
KWH
Legendary

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 05:45:23 PM

LMAO only 2 years, I been around there since 2009, and if you got the job there then you clearly need to research more information on the company your working for. Cause you don't know even how the core moderation group works cause you can't say it has checks and balances when it clearly doesn't when the wizard of oz is pulling the ropes behind a curtain. You need to do your research before even talking again, that your downfall.

Community Team > Elected Community Moderators > Trusted Users...

I don't see how any of that matters. Nobody who doesn't direct access to the database can take any significant actions without leaving an audit trail visible to at the very least a few thousand people.

And yet you brought it up AND keep on talking about it. Went from offended to defensive.

Albert Einstein
mootinator

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 05:47:22 PM

KWH, I didn't bring up the core mod team, gweedo assumed I must not know about it because I didn't launch into a dissertation about what's important about how SO works in the context of this forum (in gweedo's mind).

Anyhow, if all I'm doing is trolling whining and wasting time here you'd better get someone to ban me, quick or I'm clearly proof at how ridiculous/worthless this mechanical vetting process is.

No
KWH
Legendary

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 05:53:23 PM

KWH, I didn't bring up the core mod team, gweedo assumed I must not know about it because I didn't launch into a dissertation about what's important about how SO works in the context of this forum (in gweedo's mind).

Anyhow, if all I'm doing is trolling whining and wasting time here you'd better get someone to ban me, quick or I'm clearly proof at how ridiculous/worthless this mechanical vetting process is.

Ban? Na, just suck it up like we all had to do and get on with bitcoin.

Albert Einstein
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: