Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:31:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcointalk needs to be more noob friendly  (Read 5571 times)
Tas

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 03:41:53 PM

"Could it be because most noobs are rude, demanding and downright lazy? Maybe?"

Roll Eyes Do you see the irony here? Could it be that it's YOU instead who is being "rude, demanding and downright lazy" with new members?

This forum is rife with such typical libertarian douchebaggery. It's all over the place. We are the elite, the bright ones - We deserve all we got - The rest of the world is stupid, lazy, demanding - They deserve nothing - Keep them away from me

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tas

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 03:50:49 PM

How can it possibly be more user friendly than blockchain.info my wallet ? Honestly it is much better than the real brick and mortar banking (including debit cards and cash handling)

See here (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=144333). A newbie loses $500. Part of the reason is the site's UI. The owner(?) of the site arrogantly points to him that he is the one to blame because he should have been more responsible and less stupid with his money. +1 for user-friendliness.

Edited the URL.
VinceSamios (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2013, 03:51:38 PM

Ironically the barriers to joining this little club are definitely not going to make noobs more knowledgable nor answer their questions, it will simply drive them away.

Good work team.

The Happy Clappy Bitcoin Chappy - http://twitter.com/vincesamios
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 03:53:25 PM

I agree we could do a better job being welcoming. For whatever reason, many forums are not.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
KWH
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 04:09:05 PM

"Could it be because most noobs are rude, demanding and downright lazy? Maybe?"

Roll Eyes Do you see the irony here? Could it be that it's YOU instead who is being "rude, demanding and downright lazy" with new members?

This forum is rife with such typical libertarian douchebaggery. It's all over the place. We are the elite, the bright ones - We deserve all we got - The rest of the world is stupid, lazy, demanding - They deserve nothing - Keep them away from me

Could it be your attitude and lack of any work ethic that causes said "douchebaggery"? I think so. Stop blaming others for your actions and attitudes of entitlement.
Let me give you a parting gift:

When the subject of buying BTC with Paypal comes up, I often remember this: 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
KWH
Legendary

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 04:10:45 PM

How can it possibly be more user friendly than blockchain.info my wallet ? Honestly it is much better than the real brick and mortar banking (including debit cards and cash handling)

See here (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=144333). A newbie loses $500. Part of the reason is the site's UI. The owner(?) of the site arrogantly points to him that he is the one to blame because he should have been more responsible and less stupid with his money. +1 for user-friendliness.

Edited the URL.

I'm sorry your "feelings" got hurt.

Will pancakes make it all better?

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
KWH
Legendary

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 04:24:17 PM

Edited the URL.

Obviously you also fail at reading comprehension.
People tried to help him but he did something to cause the problem. Being new and uncertain of how things work, he went ahead and sent all his coins. That was his fault. I also see no one called him dumb as you claimed. Lie much? It goes back to that pesky read thing again.
Also, piuk gave him 5BTC to help but I see you didn't mention that as it doesn't fit your noob meanness theme but keep up with the reality distortion. Your Noob arrogance is almost unbearable.

Tas

Ignore

Re: Bitcoins seem lost
February 15, 2013, 05:45:14 PM

Reply with quote  #20
The arrogance of some people in these forums is unbelievable. A newbie loses $500 and he is blamed for being dumb and irresponsible. Unf*ckingbelievable.

Albert Einstein
Tas

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 04:32:19 PM

Dude, get lost, seriously. I'm not gonna bother with someone as thick-skulled as yourself. Had I detected even a shred of enlightened thought or observation in you, then I might bother giving you a few minutes of my time. But I didn't.
KWH
Legendary

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 04:34:59 PM

Dude, get lost, seriously. I'm not gonna bother with someone as thick-skulled as yourself. Had I detected even a shred of enlightened thought or observation in you, then I might bother giving you a few minutes of my time. But I didn't.

Cry me yet another river. Sad liar noob cry river of salty tears.
Dude.........

Albert Einstein
VinceSamios (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2013, 04:39:51 PM

^^ Is he 13? ^^

Tas

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 04:45:11 PM

He certainly behaves like 13. But, hey, it's us who should "stop acting so stupid", not him.
KWH
Legendary

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 04:46:38 PM

He certainly behaves like 13. But, hey, it's us who should "stop acting so stupid", not him.

And here yet another lie you told.....
Keep them coming!

Albert Einstein
Aahzman

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 04:51:50 PM

One of the struggles bitcoin needs to overcome to achieve mass acceptance is ease of use and understanding. Bitcoin Talk plays an invaluable role in this process as noobs and not-so-noobs venture here to understand, to teach, to help each other and more broadly bitcoin.

While I understand from a spam protection point of view, bitcointalk needs to have measures in place to deal with spammy bastards, there is a fine balance to be struck between controlling spam and facilitating the participation of newbies.

I've spent about 8 hours trying to accumulate the required 4 hours logged in time, because I can't just leave a browser open, and the session doesn't seem to carry for a few minutes (so if I spend longer than a few minutes reading a thread, those minutes aren't counted) - I've also found there to be a little bit of elitist attitude to participating in the forums. ie. "you need to know enough about bitcoins before you can participate" - that's not the right attitude, in fact it should be "welcome, you are new and you know nothing, so welcome into the fold, we will teach you".

I'm not one to criticise without making practical suggestions:

1) Definitely reduce the "total logged in time" - arguably to as low as 30 minutes should be more than enough to fight off the spammers.
2) Noobs need more forums where they can discuss things and feel included, rather than just a "noobs" forum.
3) A general attitude change to welcome noobs - to be honest I haven't found this place too elitist, save for a few threads in the noobs forum
4) Some hoops noobs can jump through to get verified more quickly - ie. the "Get me out of here" thread should theoretically auto-approve posters because they are clearly not bots. Or some other form of second stage authentication.

The other thing I noticed when I first joined is the noobs thread took a bit of finding, and I only went looking after I discovered I couldn't reply to a post. I'm not sure what measures are in place to provide info to noobs about their restrictions, my feedback would be to make this more obvious/prominent.

Meant with the best will in the world, for the betterment of bitcointalk and the community in general.

Vince

how about:

1) restrict noobs to only the "Newbie Restrictions" and "Helpful Articles For Newcomers" threads for 1hr. Noob must click at least 4 of the links in the "Helpful Articles For Newcomers" thread. Then, 2hrs of active logged in time in the Newbies section.
2) If they don't wanna be noobs, they can start their own forums, with their own rules.
3) Most noobs tend to be a) rude, b) immature, c) lazy d) ignorant e) lazy.  I'd say at least 1/2 the threads posted by people with less than 5 posts are questions that have been asked dozens of times already, and could be found with a simple search. When advised to go do a little research, they get belligerent and hostile. They want everything spoonfed to them on a diamond-encrusted platinum spork.
4) Hell no. If anything, we need to make it harder for noobs to get to the other sections of the boards. Goes back to point one: restrict them to two threads, force them to a) read and acknowledge the rules/restrictions, and links to helpful articles/info/threads that they can read so they don't pollute the forums with nonsense that's been asked over and over and over ad nauseum. I have no issues providing a nudge in the right direction, but the newcomer needs to be willing to at least put ina  little effort...

I've registered and never get the limits of the newbie account, because I started reading every thread in this site before open my mouth. I just say hello and a few comments. I spent hours reading and that is what most people do before to talk something is already replied 300 times.

THIS. I did the same thing. Other than introducing myself in that thread, I spent hours, days even, reading threads, comparing opinions, getting a feel for the lay of the land, as it were. Even after I shed my noob status, I spent most of my time in the Newbies section reading more threads, following links, trying to learn as much as I could about bitcoin before diving in. The trouble with a lot of newcomers is they have this attitude that the community owes them an education.

VinceSamios (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2013, 05:02:07 PM

That kind of attitude isn't good for bitcoin.

I guess my mistake was I lurked for a long time, eventually wanted to comment on something and found myself beating my head against a wall.

There are better solutions than hostility towards noobs and perceived noobs (based on their post counts)

VinceSamios (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2013, 05:04:02 PM

Here's a suggestion - why don't all new members fill out a questionnaire with questions like:

Did you vote romney or obama
Are you a prepper
Do you believe in UFO's
Are Bitcoins Hackable
Will Bitcoins always go up in value
Do bitcoin noobs suck ass

If and ONLY IF they answer all those questions "correctly" - we let them in. woop woop!

/sarcasm

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 05:07:27 PM

There's other reasons why the restrictions were imposed. Scammers were making accounts en masse and changing accounts once they're being found out, and the restrictions make their lives harder.
Aahzman

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 05:22:16 PM

Here's a suggestion - why don't all new members fill out a questionnaire with questions like:

Did you vote?
Are you a HIPSTER?
Do you believe in Scientology?
Do you understand the basic premise of encryption?
Do you understand that the value of bitcoin will fluctuate in response to the demands of the economy?
Do you know how to use a search box?

If and ONLY IF they answer all those questions "correctly" - we let them in. woop woop!

/sarcasm

FTFY.

eyecoins

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 06:50:48 PM

Noob jail is incredibly annoying but necessary.

Post #2!
ancore

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 07:53:59 PM

I think it's better that we have a place for newbies here
if you ask stupid questions here you generally get an explanation or are pointed to one
i think if they just let you post anywhere, the senior members would just ignore you
Grover

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

I was thinking Stay Puft, but Gozer said Grover

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 08:07:46 PM

One of the struggles bitcoin needs to overcome to achieve mass acceptance is ease of use and understanding. Bitcoin Talk plays an invaluable role in this process as noobs and not-so-noobs venture here to understand, to teach, to help each other and more broadly bitcoin.

I concur.  I'm out of noob prison on posts but my time has been FUBAR.  Like you I spent too much time reading posts trying to get up to speed and not jumping around on content like a flea on meth.

I've probably already spent too much time writing this so later I gotta hop around.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: