Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 02:43:09 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Email hacked, funds stolen, anyone wanna jump down a rabbit hole?  (Read 932 times)
crazywack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 08:08:43 AM
Last edit: May 25, 2016, 09:30:21 AM by crazywack

Ok here it goes....

Out of my own stupidity of not securing my funds better, I lost approx 10 BTC on bittrex.

Ultimately the hacker gained control of my email and was able to sell/withdrawl all the funds from my bittrex account.

I'm asking for the communities help in tracking down the person

I have addresses, txt ID's and IP address from whence the event happened.

Any other info please ask, and yes I know it's a long shot here but hope dies last Wink

Thank you, crazy

This is the address that all the BTC was sent to...
19gMr1mTG7GQkEXSDx6zpHsgRTV5AmK8WF https://blockchain.info/address/19gMr1mTG7GQkEXSDx6zpHsgRTV5AmK8WF

Funds were sent in 4 different transactions.

The most recent address is either a cloudbet or c-ccex address of mine but I have not investigated there yet as the amount is so low.

Here is the IP... From what I can see is that it is Olympia WA Comcast. The most recent is me trying to log in and discovering my password was compromised.

PASSWORD_RESET_SUCCESS   66.179.44.132   Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 9_3_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Mobile/13F69 Safari/601.1   2016-05-24 02:50:46.767
VERIFY_WITHDRAWAL_SUCCESS   67.183.13.69   Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/50.0.2661.94 Safari/537.36   2016-05-23 22:13:28.100
WITHDRAWAL_EMAIL_SENT   67.183.13.69   Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/50.0.2661.94 Safari/537.36   2016-05-23 22:13:19.740
VERIFY_WITHDRAWAL_SUCCESS   67.183.13.69   Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/50.0.2661.94 Safari/537.36   2016-05-23 22:04:12.820
WITHDRAWAL_EMAIL_SENT   67.183.13.69   Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/50.0.2661.94 Safari/537.36   2016-05-23 22:03:17.880
VERIFY_WITHDRAWAL_SUCCESS   67.183.13.69   Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/50.0.2661.94 Safari/537.36   2016-05-23 22:01:12.273
WITHDRAWAL_EMAIL_SENT   67.183.13.69   Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/50.0.2661.94 Safari/537.36   2016-05-23 22:00:37.367
VERIFY_WITHDRAWAL_SUCCESS   67.183.13.69   Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/50.0.2661.94 Safari/537.36   2016-05-23 21:57:54.613
WITHDRAWAL_EMAIL_SENT   67.183.13.69   Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/50.0.2661.94 Safari/537.36   2016-05-23 21:57:46.277
VERIFY_WITHDRAWAL_SUCCESS   67.183.13.69   Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/50.0.2661.94 Safari/537.36   2016-05-23 21:55:49.157
WITHDRAWAL_EMAIL_SENT   67.183.13.69   Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/50.0.2661.94 Safari/537.36   2016-05-23 21:55:34.520
LOGIN   67.183.13.69   Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/50.0.2661.94 Safari/537.36   2016-05-23 21:53:59.917
PASSWORD_RESET_SUCCESS   67.183.13.69   Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/50.0.2661.94 Safari/537.36   2016-05-23 21:53:34.030

The hacker liquidated my altcoins and withdrew them as BTC (except) a decent amount of SSD (soniccoin) which he withdrew. My guess is to an alternate bittrex account but possible off site. UNFORTUNATELY The block explorer for this altcoin is down. I am waiting for a response from bittrex if the funds were sent off site or to another account. I am also waiting to hear back from the developer on the block explorer.

Avirunes
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2016, 08:27:09 AM

Ok here it goes....

Out of my own stupidity of not securing my funds better, I lost approx 10 BTC on bittrex.

Ultimately the hacker gained control of my email and was able to sell/withdrawl all the funds from my bittrex account.

Feel sorry for you mate.Hackers accessing email accounts are increasing nowadays.Thats why i keep on changing my pass for email on daily basis.

-$nip-

Any other info please ask, and yes I know it's a long shot here but hope dies last Wink

Well addresses,txt ids and IP addresses may help a very little as addresses maybe new and for IP addresses hackers can use TOR/VPN leaving no traces. Anyway you can shoot what you have.I will give a look onto it.
crazywack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 09:28:39 AM

Ok here it goes....

Feel sorry for you mate.Hackers accessing email accounts are increasing nowadays.Thats why i keep on changing my pass for email on daily basis.

-$nip-

Well addresses,txt ids and IP addresses may help a very little as addresses maybe new and for IP addresses hackers can use TOR/VPN leaving no traces. Anyway you can shoot what you have.I will give a look onto it.

Sux man but thanks. I always thought I would be ok, call it laziness or me thinking I was safe. But I learned a hard lesson....

Updated OP

BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1442
Merit: 529

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 12:37:14 PM

I have been there when my blockchain was stolen via my gmail, not a clue about 2fa on gmail back then. I am sorry and I know how it feels, but as you say its was on you, how could you leave 10 Bitcoins sitting on an exchange, thats the main mistake, because if you don't keep such a high amount in an exchange this risk is always present, and last but not least, stop using that Windows sh it load operating system, stories like these are becoming common, my gmail was hacked from a windows PC too. At least as you say you learned your lesson.

Final advice of mine and you will never have any problems anymore( I have none since doing this)
Change your email password and add 2fa via Smartphone if you have one or via sms service if you use Gmail (make sure you do these steps in a Linux environment ,preferably just installed)
Keep your coins in cold wallet, or desktop wallet if you need them for daily transactions.

After this I never had any problem after, its basically almost 2 years since this happened to me in September 2014. I strongly suggest you switch to Linux OS, it has become as user friendly as Windows (Linux mint for example) only a much better security, but you still should be careful with Linux too.

Hope this helps and you implement these steps right away and I wish you success. I would be very sad if I had lose 10 Bitcoins.
crazywack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 07:18:06 PM

I have been there when my blockchain was stolen via my gmail, not a clue about 2fa on gmail back then. I am sorry and I know how it feels, but as you say its was on you, how could you leave 10 Bitcoins sitting on an exchange, thats the main mistake, because if you don't keep such a high amount in an exchange this risk is always present, and last but not least, stop using that Windows sh it load operating system, stories like these are becoming common, my gmail was hacked from a windows PC too. At least as you say you learned your lesson.

Final advice of mine and you will never have any problems anymore( I have none since doing this)
Change your email password and add 2fa via Smartphone if you have one or via sms service if you use Gmail (make sure you do these steps in a Linux environment ,preferably just installed)
Keep your coins in cold wallet, or desktop wallet if you need them for daily transactions.

After this I never had any problem after, its basically almost 2 years since this happened to me in September 2014. I strongly suggest you switch to Linux OS, it has become as user friendly as Windows (Linux mint for example) only a much better security, but you still should be careful with Linux too.

Hope this helps and you implement these steps right away and I wish you success. I would be very sad if I had lose 10 Bitcoins.

Thanks man, your right it's on me.

The Windows is the hacker. I was using an apple device.

amacar2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1008

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 07:28:13 PM

10 btc is quite large amount for trading point of view, i think you haven't setup 2fa in your email address or atleast you should connect your phone to email so that everytime when someone try to login to your email with different browsers you will get code which you have to enter to gain access. Which email provider you have used? And its always suggested never to use same password in all site you register into.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
crazywack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 07:36:19 PM

10 btc is quite large amount for trading point of view, i think you haven't setup 2fa in your email address or atleast you should connect your phone to email so that everytime when someone try to login to your email with different browsers you will get code which you have to enter to gain access. Which email provider you have used? And its always suggested never to use same password in all site you register into.

2fa was not turned on...

Email verifications were sent but not in any box.

Was using hotmail.

GreenBits
Legendary

Merit: 1048

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 09:08:14 PM

I'm sorry man , this happened to me a few years ago on the bitmining exchange. It's pretty much gone now, I'll advise you to let this go, and focus the energy on rebuilding your savings and securing your gear a bit better in the future. You will go insane watching your hard earn value zip around cyberspace from address to address. Trust me on this, I've been there. 8 btc.

Strong passwords, unique to every service (try lastpass)
2fa on email, and on each account with significant value, and,
Treat your entire machine, and all keys/pass pairs as compromised. Move all value to new wallets, wipe your machine,  and start over.

This was an expensive lesson, but one that you hopefully won't have to repeat.

Also, never rule out the people that live around you and have access to your devices.

You are in my prayers.
GreenBits
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 09:10:21 PM

2fa was not turned on...

Email verifications were sent but not in any box.

Was using hotmail.

And use Gmail this go round. Logs ips for every session associated with the account, and you can premake a set number of otps ahead of time to save on paper, should you temporarily lose access to Authenticator.
MRKLYE
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Designer - Developer

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2016, 09:12:58 PM

And this is why you should never download any executable on these forums... -_-

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄████▀▀`````````▀▀████▄
███▀```````````````````▀███
███`````````````````````````███
██```````````██``██````````````██
██````````▄▄▄▄██▄▄██▄▄▄▄`````````██
██`````````▀██████████████▄````````██
██`````````````███`````▀████`````````██
▐█▌`````````````███`````▄███▀`````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███████████▄``````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███```````████````````▐█▌
██`````````````███`````▄▄████````````██
██`````````▄██████████████▀````````██
██````````▀▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀▀▀`````````██
██```````````██``██````````````██
███`````````````````````````███
███▄```````````````````▄███
▀████▄▄`````````▄▄████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
FREE
BITCOINS.com

`````````▄
````````▄█▄
``````▄█████▄
`````█████████
```▄███████████▄
``███████████████
`█████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
██▌▀███████████████
`██``▀████████████
``██▄```▀████████
```▀███▄▄`█████▀
``````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

FAUCET
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

``````````````````▄▄▄▄▄▄
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````██████``██████
``````````██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

XCHANGE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

```````````▄
`````````▄██
```````▄████
`````▄██████████▄
`````▀███████████▄
```````▀████``▀████
█``````▄`▀██````▀██
██▄````██▄`▀``````█
████▄``████▄
`▀███████████▄
``▀██████████▀
```````████▀
```````██▀
```````▀

SWAP
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
crazywack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2016, 03:19:25 AM

Thanks for the advise guys.  It slightly getting better (the feeling of loss)

I did build it from less than what I have now, so I know I can do it again. Just more cautiously:)

GreenBits
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2016, 05:16:35 AM

Thanks for the advise guys.  It slightly getting better (the feeling of loss)

I did build it from less than what I have now, so I know I can do it again. Just more cautiously:)

Good attitude bro, that's the winning perspective that will have your value back in a jiffy. Always remember you can report to the police. They are ineffective at stuff like this, but sometimes, especially with enough value or if they feel some kind of way about cyber crime in your area, they go the extra mile.

Hang in there, it's just money. It doesn't feel like that when you keep replaying it (why the FUCk didn't I use 2FA!) but that's old hat now. Focus on your future Smiley
crazywack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2016, 03:05:30 AM

Looks like the last of the Bitcoin sitting on the withdraw address has been sent to a mixer...

trinaldao
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

Post your ann & bounty just contact me

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2016, 03:13:22 AM

arghhh >_<
this is make me remember my bittrex account get hacked too , arround end of 2015 i lose 1,5BTC + 2btc at other exchange ..

i want to ask are you use 2fa ? because i m use 2fa too , but hacker can acces my 2fa , im using authy.

INVALID BBCODE: close of unopened tag in table (1)
crazywack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2016, 05:20:01 AM

arghhh >_<
this is make me remember my bittrex account get hacked too , arround end of 2015 i lose 1,5BTC + 2btc at other exchange ..

i want to ask are you use 2fa ? because i m use 2fa too , but hacker can acces my 2fa , im using authy.

No I was not, but will now. Thought the fact I logged in 20 times a day and had to verify each time was a pain... My dumbass...

trinaldao
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

Post your ann & bounty just contact me

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2016, 06:48:13 AM

arghhh >_<

No I was not, but will now. Thought the fact I logged in 20 times a day and had to verify each time was a pain... My dumbass...

for safest security, i suggest you to create new gmail, new bittrex account, use your number phone as 2fa in your gmail , so no body can acces your email without your number phone.

INVALID BBCODE: close of unopened tag in table (1)
Batmanvsduecare

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2016, 09:30:56 AM

My gmail was hacked in 2011, I used 2fa with my phone number since then and never had any problem.
I also advise you to change your password at least every 60 days, old password are always the ones that get hacked easily.

Hausi

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 27, 2016, 11:57:04 AM

i bet the hacker get your data from few site that you've signed up there before and the site is vulnerable,for me, i do enable so many verification before be able to get into my email,sync to another email,2fa,or even phone number verification,email is an important thing,when you lost control of it, you lost control all of your account synced to the email

Never, ever use your e-mail adress on other sites

Hackers can redirect you, or force you via email to fake login pages and store your data in clear text.
Hackers can steal databases and the salt&key to decode your password.
Keyloggers

the list can be continued.

You can even do some social hacking, to get those 2AF disabled via support but you have to know enough about your victim and you have to be good with social hacking...
just call them, and make some tricky stuff like a crying baby in the backround for example Wink

reb0rn21
Legendary

Activity: 1898
Merit: 1024

View Profile
May 27, 2016, 12:34:33 PM

For extra security use new email account just for safe sites as top exchanges!

even have more then few!, never use email which is used for exchange on any other site!

and ppl cracking are not hacker but fucking assholes and low lives which I hope will one day step on wrong foot and get raped or worst Smiley

▄▄▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▄▄
           ▄▀▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▀▀▄
        ▄▀▀  ▄▄▀█          ▀█▀▄▄  ▀▀▄
      ▄▀▀ ▄▄▀    ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀    ▀▄▄ ▀▀▄
     █   █            ▀            █   █
   ▄▀ █  ▀▄▄                     ▄█▀  █ ▀▄
  ▄▀ ▄▀ █▄ ▀▀▀██▄▄▄       ▄▄▄██▀▀  ██ ▀▄ ▀▄
  ▀▄▀▀▄ ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▀▄   ▄▀  ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██ ▄▀▀▄▀
 ██   █ ██ ▀▄    ▀▄ █   █ ▄▀    ▄▀ ██ █  ▀██
 █  ▄█  ▀█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █   █ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █   █▄  █
█▀ █  █  █          █   █          █  █  █ ▀▀
 █▀  ▄▀  █▀▄        █   █        ▄▀█  ▀▄  ▀█
 ▄  █▀   █ ▀█▄      ▀   ▀      ▄█▀ █  ▄▀█  ▄
 █▄▀  █  █                         █  █  ▀▄█
 ▀▄  █   ▀█        ▄▄▀▄▀▄▄        █▀   █  ▄
  ▀▄▀▀  █▄ █     ▀█  ▀▀▀  █▀     █ ▄█ ▄▀▀▄▀
   ▀ ▄  ██ █▀▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀     ▄▀█ ██ ▀▄ ▀
    ▀█  ██ █ █▀▄    ▄▄▄▄▄    ▄▀█ █ ██  █▀
      ▀▄ ▀ █ █ ██▄         ▄██ █ █ ▀ ▄▀
        ▀▄ █ █ █ ▀█▄     ▄█▀ █ █ █ ▄▀
          ▀▀▄█ █    ▀▀▀▀▀    █ █▄▀▀
              ▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀

..I  D  E  N  A..

Proof-of-Person Blockchain

Join the mining of the first human-centric
cryptocurrency

▲    2 3 2 2

..N  O  D  E  S..

██
                ██
                ██
                ██
                ██
         ▄      ██      ▄
         ███▄   ██   ▄███
          ▀███▄ ██ ▄███▀
            ▀████████▀
              ▀████▀
                ▀▀
██▄                            ▄██
███                            ███
 ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
  ▀▀██████████████████████████▀▀

D O W N L O A D

Idena node

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄█████▀▀        ▀▀█████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀███
███      █   ▄▄ █▀▄        ███
██▀      █  ███ █  ▀▄      ▀██
███       █   ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀█       ███
███       █  ▄▄▄▄▄▄  █       ███
███       █  ▄▄▄▄▄▄  █       ███
██▄      █  ▄▄▄▄▄▄  █      ▄██
███      █          █      ███
███▄    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▄███
████▄                ▄████
▀█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▀
▀▀████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀

.REQUEST INVITATION.
alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 27, 2016, 12:44:14 PM

Were your passwords similar for both the email and the bittrex account? And did you use a similar password on one of the failed exchanges (Mintpal, Cryptsy etc).

I'm pretty sure that the stuff on the failed exchanges has been sold on, so if your email and password on active exchanges is similar, change them.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
Pages: [1]
  Print