Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:26:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Register of Moderator Interests  (Read 2444 times)
CharlieContent (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 08:44:35 PM

In the last month or two there have been a few allegations going around of a pro-BFL bias in the moderating activities of the forum. I don't personally have a strong opinion one way or the other, but I do think that there is certainly some basis for these claims.

The Bitcoin community is still a reasonably small one. This means two things:

Firstly, the moderation team of this forum holds an incredibly powerful position. This is the main and original Bitcoin forum and the only one with a significant amount of activity. It's also worth noting that Theymos, the chief administrator of this forum, is also the chief administrator of the Bitcoin reddit, the only other Bitcoin forum with any reasonably amount of activity.

Secondly, it's not unfeasible that members of the moderation team would have a financial interest in various Bitcoin businesses. It's a small community, moderators tend to be reasonably prominent members of that community, and we're all entrepreneurial souls. This could lead to conflict of interest.

In the United Kingdom, members of parliament need to submit information to a "register of member's interests." This is a public, written record of the business interest of members of parliament. It records all of the companies they work for, have received gifts from, or have invested in. This helps prevent unfair practices under the table.

I propose a similar system for moderators of this forum. They should publicly reveal their Bitcoin business interests. This would help identify bias, as well as fend off false allegations of bias.

If moderators don't feel comfortable revealing which Bitcoin businesses they have a financial interest in succeeding, then they should reassess their suitability to be moderators.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
21after2

Activity: 112
Merit: 16

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 05:09:57 AM

Is this referring to the mad ravings of Micon? The guy who called Josh a mentally disabled pedophile? That's less "biased" and more "justice."
tcp_rst

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 12:02:32 AM

In the last month or two there have been a few allegations going around of a pro-BFL bias in the moderating activities of the forum. I don't personally have a strong opinion one way or the other, but I do think that there is certainly some basis for these claims.

The Bitcoin community is still a reasonably small one. This means two things:

Firstly, the moderation team of this forum holds an incredibly powerful position. This is the main and original Bitcoin forum and the only one with a significant amount of activity. It's also worth noting that Theymos, the chief administrator of this forum, is also the chief administrator of the Bitcoin reddit, the only other Bitcoin forum with any reasonably amount of activity.

Secondly, it's not unfeasible that members of the moderation team would have a financial interest in various Bitcoin businesses. It's a small community, moderators tend to be reasonably prominent members of that community, and we're all entrepreneurial souls. This could lead to conflict of interest.

In the United Kingdom, members of parliament need to submit information to a "register of member's interests." This is a public, written record of the business interest of members of parliament. It records all of the companies they work for, have received gifts from, or have invested in. This helps prevent unfair practices under the table.

I propose a similar system for moderators of this forum. They should publicly reveal their Bitcoin business interests. This would help identify bias, as well as fend off false allegations of bias.

If moderators don't feel comfortable revealing which Bitcoin businesses they have a financial interest in succeeding, then they should reassess their suitability to be moderators.
You're talking about this forum right?  Bitcointalk?  The one you pay absolutely nothing to use and for which the mods are paid in pure 24K criticism?  Please, feel free to offer an alternative that everyone flocks to in droves.  And your proposal would carry more weight if you offered specific examples. I actually had a mod on my Ignore list for some time because I perceived he was severely biased in favor of a BFL competitor. It's all a matter of perspective.
usagi
VIP

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 03:09:52 PM

You're talking about this forum right?  Bitcointalk?  The one you pay absolutely nothing to use and for which the mods are paid in pure 24K criticism?  Please, feel free to offer an alternative that everyone flocks to in droves.  And your proposal would carry more weight if you offered specific examples. I actually had a mod on my Ignore list for some time because I perceived he was severely biased in favor of a BFL competitor. It's all a matter of perspective.

Actually just an aside (I don't even know what this thread is about) theymos clears 2 grand a week just on the advertising slots he sells...
CharlieContent (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 07:44:11 PM

Is this referring to the mad ravings of Micon? The guy who called Josh a mentally disabled pedophile? That's less "biased" and more "justice."

No, this is a wider issue.

I actually had a mod on my Ignore list for some time because I perceived he was severely biased in favor of a BFL competitor..

Wouldn't you feel more comfortable knowing whether or not the mod is biased because of some financial interest?
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2013, 10:52:43 PM

You must be joking, have you seen the garbage mods have to deal with already? The last thing I'm gonna do on this forum is share my financial information publicly. For the most part, the mods are good people who care about bitcoin and the community. In return for them donating their free time to help the forum, the very least they deserve is the same privacy everyone else gets.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
danieldaniel

Activity: 854

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 10:55:12 PM

You must be joking, have you seen the garbage mods have to deal with already? The last thing I'm gonna do on this forum is share my financial information publicly. For the most part, the mods are good people who care about bitcoin and the community. In return for them donating their free time to help the forum, the very least they deserve is the same privacy everyone else gets.

This.  Maybe if mods got paid to do what they do, but as volunteers it doesn't make sense.

tcp_rst

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 11:20:49 PM

Wouldn't you feel more comfortable knowing whether or not the mod is biased because of some financial interest?
Certainly.  I'm saying we have no standing to make such a request.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 12:56:04 AM

I have invested in Bitcoins and Litecoins. Let it be on the record!
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 01:07:58 AM

This.

However, I can 'reveal' that I'm invested in Bitcoins and wish to see its success, and I have absolutely no ties/vested interest/investments in either ASIC company (including ASICMINER, BFL, and Avalon).
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 01:46:55 AM

Actually just an aside (I don't even know what this thread is about) theymos clears 2 grand a week just on the advertising slots he sells...

He clears it, and then it goes into the forums reserves, not into his pocket.

Monster Tent

Activity: 238

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 01:51:39 AM

The mods dont get paid so its beside the point.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 01:55:13 AM

Naw I don't think the mods need to bother with that.  Unless they go rogue and start editing posts maliciously (which, if that happens, they wouldn't stay mods for long), I couldn't care less what the mods are up to.

Also, keep up the great work mods Cheesy

CharlieContent (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 11:52:27 PM

You must be joking, have you seen the garbage mods have to deal with already?

I think many people would be willing to deal with the chore of moderation in exchange for the opportunity to clandestinely push the agenda of businesses they are invested in by belittling or suppressing criticism. Not that I am suggesting that you, or anyone else is doing that, but if one of you did choose to then it would have a great effect due to how focused the Bitcoin community is on this one single forum.

I personally think that neutrality is an important quality for forum moderation generally, but it is especially important in this situation.

He clears it, and then it goes into the forums reserves, not into his pocket.

There should be greater transparency about this as well. Due to the rising Bitcoin price the forum probably has $1m or more in reserve. This is supposed to be used to create new forum software but there has been no movement on this. Theymos is, after all, just a young kid in college. There's no way he should be entrusted with that kind of money without any transparency. For all we know he's blown it on prostitutes, or it's paying for his own personal expenses. Of course there's no reason to think that he would, but why risk it all on some anonymous 20 year old kid? There should be more accountability.

tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 01:00:37 PM

^^^

I was a mod for a long time, very few people actually appreciate what mods do.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 01:08:24 PM

I was a mod for a long time, very few people actually appreciate what mods do.

Very few people KNOW, because if you do your job well, it is mostly invisible.
Merralea

Activity: 126

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 01:29:52 PM

Ah yes, bitcointalk must strive to be as similar to the British parliament as humanly possible. It is such a great paragon of transparency and justice that us mere mortals can only aspire to.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 11:40:57 PM

Ah yes, bitcointalk must strive to be as similar to the British parliament as humanly possible. It is such a great paragon of transparency and justice that us mere mortals can only aspire to.

Oh for fucks sake don't - Sincerely, British Citizen who has been born here and lived here since 1990

It reminds me of Americans who have this stereotypical view about the British and how we all speak in posh accents and everythings in Victorian times and we're really polite, you are going to have your entire world come crashing down if you ever actually visit here lol.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 05:52:27 AM

I think what's more important is no conflict of interest - ie don't moderate a controversial XYZ thread if you own 10% of XYZ. Pretty obvious and I hope this is being adhered to.
Merralea

Activity: 126

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:10:44 PM

Oh for fucks sake don't - Sincerely, British Citizen who has been born here and lived here since 1990

It reminds me of Americans who have this stereotypical view about the British and how we all speak in posh accents and everythings in Victorian times and we're really polite, you are going to have your entire world come crashing down if you ever actually visit here lol.
Turn on your sarcasm detector.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: