Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:02:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where or where have my bitcoins gone?  (Read 5101 times)
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 11:44:14 PM

All the coins in those addresses where lost to Satoshi-dice. And that happened last year.

Oops, so they have, I was looking at 'funds received' and not 'final balance'  Roll Eyes

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
donbenosee (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 11:45:45 PM

All the coins in those addresses where lost to Satoshi-dice. And that happened last year.

Oops, so they have, I was looking at 'funds received' and not 'final balance'  Roll Eyes

I'm getting more and more confused. I didn't gamble the 50 BTC..
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 11:45:56 PM

I've been browing throguh the blockchain for a while now and think I know whats going on.

http://blockchain.info/address/133r7YFYeppNXcPdH4V3aYjkNBgpK13cQi
http://blockchain.info/address/13Em2vyhUGX3Yh75vfFcfKdsE946YXPDsV
http://blockchain.info/address/15LS9PzkcDbHshfUSiQTHkEGU3xHatNNLo
http://blockchain.info/address/1CdAUybo8gDGLgdSkvjUP4fbBX14LFLShf
http://blockchain.info/address/1CVX2A8dEPJnV62ey7kEuoNhuAUKvJrDLj

You own those addresses, they are in your bitcoin-qt client, they are change addresses and each contain a few BTC, last one has 10BTC.

I haven't used bitcoin-qt in a while now, but AFAIK it hides change addresses from the GUI.

Try doing a rescan: Bitcoin-qt.exe -rescan and then try sending to a blockchain address again.

Also, just incase you are worried, you haven't lost your BTC, that would be very difficult to do without deleting your wallet.dat.

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 11:47:17 PM

here's the transaction from my qt client: https://i.imgur.com/vEu5BF9.jpg

This screen shot shows a transaction from January ?
Why is the date 1/3/2013?  .

I'm in Australia, 1/3/2013 means 1st March this side of the pond.

Yeah only Americans and Canadians are a bit confused ( YYYY/MM/DD and DD/MM/YYYY make sense, MM/DD/YYYY does not Wink)

i vote YYYY/MM/DD. A) its the most logical B) no one does it so everyone can be equally inconvenienced by the change!

egalitarianism ftw!

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 11:47:48 PM

No they weren't. Please, I'd rather get real info on this rather than speculation.

That's not speculation, that's what the blockchain says.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2013, 11:49:28 PM

No they weren't. Please, I'd rather get real info on this rather than speculation.

That's not speculation, that's what the blockchain says.
Yes, most, if not all of those coins from the two addresses posted were wasted at SD.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 11:51:46 PM

Please take the following steps (I presume you use windows):

1) Go to: C:\Users\ACCOUNTNAME\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin (switch in your accountname for ACCOUNTNAME)
2) Create a file there called bitcoin.conf
3) Add the line "server=1" in that file and save

4) Open a command prompt
5) Cd to INSTALLDIRECTORYOFBITCOIN/daemon  (most likely C:\program files\bitcoin\daemon)
6) Run bitcoind
7) Open a second command prompt and go to the same directory
Cool Run Bitcoind.exe listtransactions
9) Paste the results here

Off-topic

i vote YYYY/MM/DD. A) its the most logical B) no one does it so everyone can be equally inconvenienced by the change!

egalitarianism ftw!

This format is being used. I'm sure it is used in Scandinavia but there are more countries. Look up the Wikipedia entry Smiley
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 12:04:29 AM

This format is being used. I'm sure it is used in Scandinavia but there are more countries. Look up the Wikipedia entry Smiley

good to know. If you do it that way then when you organize the entries alphabetically (numerically?) you also organize the dates chronologically. Its pretty obvious to me that this is the best way.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 12:13:33 AM

good to know. If you do it that way then when you organize the entries alphabetically (numerically?) you also organize the dates chronologically. Its pretty obvious to me that this is the best way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_format_by_country

I agree, however dd/mm/yyyy is also at least in consecutive order. mm/dd/yyyy is just ..... stupid?
donbenosee (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 12:32:26 AM

Please take the following steps (I presume you use windows):

1) Go to: C:\Users\ACCOUNTNAME\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin (switch in your accountname for ACCOUNTNAME)
2) Create a file there called bitcoin.conf
3) Add the line "server=1" in that file and save

4) Open a command prompt
5) Cd to INSTALLDIRECTORYOFBITCOIN/daemon  (most likely C:\program files\bitcoin\daemon)
6) Run bitcoind
7) Open a second command prompt and go to the same directory
Cool Run Bitcoind.exe listtransactions
9) Paste the results here

I tried this but when I try to run bitcoind it tells me 'to use bitcoind you must set an rpc password in the configuration file. It is recommended you use the following password - {redacted} questions: do I have to include the line rpcuser=bitcoinrpc and is there a minimum length for this password?

thanks
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 12:42:06 AM

You can put
Code:
rpcuser=anything
rpcpassword=whateveryouwant
in the bitcoin.conf file.

I don't remember needing this step, but perhaps I did always have a user and password specified. I don't know if there is a minimum length or not. Just give it a shot.

Sorry I skipped that step because I didn't knew it was necessary (of course I had it in my bitcoin.conf )
donbenosee (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 12:52:20 AM
Last edit: March 03, 2013, 01:06:59 AM by donbenosee

You can put
Code:
rpcuser=anything
rpcpassword=whateveryouwant
in the bitcoin.conf file.

I don't remember needing this step, but perhaps I did always have a user and password specified. I don't know if there is a minimum length or not. Just give it a shot.

Try, try again...I've done it all but it keeps telling me to do it again, dammit. I'm assuming using notepad to create the .conf file is okay?

So far I can't get this to work at all and now this step is driving me nuts!
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 01:09:21 AM

Notepad is fine.

1) Are you saving the file in the right location?

2) Did you name it correctly? Note: If you have disabled displaying extension Windows could be hiding the *.txt portion so it might be the true name of the file is bitcoin.conf.txt. If this is the case it will not work. So to by-pass this again we'll use the command prompt again
2a.) CD to C:\Users\ACCOUNTNAME\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin (switch in your accountname for ACCOUNTNAME)
2b) type "dir" <Enter>. Do you see bitcoin.conf.txt ? Then type "ren bitcoin.conf.txt bitcoin.conf"

3) Is this the content of the file?

rpcuser=youruser
rpcpassword=PASSWORD
server=1
donbenosee (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 01:28:58 AM
Last edit: March 03, 2013, 01:45:48 AM by donbenosee

Notepad is fine.

1) Are you saving the file in the right location?

2) Did you name it correctly? Note: If you have disabled displaying extension Windows could be hiding the *.txt portion so it might be the true name of the file is bitcoin.conf.txt. If this is the case it will not work. So to by-pass this again we'll use the command prompt again
2a.) CD to C:\Users\ACCOUNTNAME\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin (switch in your accountname for ACCOUNTNAME)
2b) type "dir" <Enter>. Do you see bitcoin.conf.txt ? Then type "ren bitcoin.conf.txt bitcoin.conf"

3) Is this the content of the file?

rpcuser=youruser
rpcpassword=PASSWORD
server=1

Aha, mea culpa on the file extension; renamed, many thanks. It's definitely in usename/appdata/roaming/bitcoin...

Now its telling me "to use the -server option you must set a rpcpassword etc."

Tel me, where you wrote "rpcuser=youruser", what should 'youruser' be?

The content of the .conf file are as follows
rpcuser=bitcoinrpc
rpcpassword={redacted}
server=1

It's running now but it seems to be taking its time..
donbenosee (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 02:05:38 AM

Ho long does bitcoind normally run for? An do I need to let it finish before I run -listtransactions?
donbenosee (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 02:14:09 AM

Ho long does bitcoind normally run for? An do I need to let it finish before I run -listtransactions?

Are you saying that your local block chain was not up to date?

I dunno, am I ? Sorry, but it I have no idea...it did update in the qt client earlier today..
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 02:15:39 AM

Oh I think I get it  Grin

It keeps running forever (it's a daemon thread the other command prompt will talk to) and you can run the other command prompt immediately.

(I'm not laughing at you, just how ridiculously limited natural language is at times Wink)
donbenosee (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 02:20:15 AM

It keeps running forever (it's a daemon thread the other command prompt will talk to) and you can run the other command prompt immediately.

(I'm not laughing at you, just how ridiculously limited natural language is at times Wink)

Go ahead and laugh, I'm a big dumb boy, I can take it Smiley

I tried running -listtransactions in another window and got 'cannot obtain a lock on the data directory ....Bitcoin is probably already running.

The qt client isn't running though..Sad
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 02:23:53 AM

I tried running -listtransactions in another window and got 'cannot obtain a lock on the data directory ....Bitcoin is probably already running.

Sometimes when I quit Bitcoin-Qt, it still appears in the list of "processes" in my task manager.  When it's listed there and I try to reopen Bitcoin-Qt, I get the same error message.  Try checking to see if it's listed there and close the process 'Bitcoin-Qt", then reopen it.
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 02:28:32 AM

try it without the '-'

So: bitcoind.exe listransactions
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: