Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:32:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Saving Private keys/Seed/Back-up on email? Safe or not?  (Read 481 times)
twister (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2016, 07:42:32 PM
Last edit: May 25, 2016, 08:00:52 PM by twister

How safe do you think is storing anything related to your bitcoins, like private keys, wallet seed, back up on email? I think it is pretty bad, if your email gets hacked, which can happen, you're basically screwed. But I was just watching some tutorials on youtube (to send to a friend) and kept clicking the side to view one after the another, and happened to find this on Electrum:

youtu.be/WdVlH9N2oKU?t=112

It is a pretty good tutorial, until the author suggests taking screenshot of the Electrum seed and saving it on your email? I can understand if you encrypt it and then put it as back up on email, though even then it is not considered secure but putting your seed's screenshot there? That sounds like suicide to me.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6131

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 07:49:24 PM

Here is how I see it personally , If someone is able to hack your email (not guessing your azerty123 password) then he have enough knowledge in other fields including cryptography and networking etc ... which means that it's better to not store it online (image or audio or whatever) because he may be able to get it .

Simply print the private keys of your wallet or the seed and you should be fine or try to print like 10 words and remember 2 in your mind . (assuming that the seed have 12 words )

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2016, 08:02:00 PM

Not safe at all. Consider a Trezor hardware wallet and protect your seed with a passphrase that you can remember. The seed is no good to a thief without your  passphrase so store your seed in a few places, safe deposit box and so on. The only bitcoin hardware wallets that support passphrase encryption of your seed at the moment are Trezor and BitLox. There are rumours that KeepKey might, but so far no joy. BitLox is a good hardware wallet but not open source and twice the cost of Trezor. Trezor support of Ether is also coming once Mist developers implement the Trezor API.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2016, 08:14:18 PM

Well, technically you could make it safe if you:
1) Use an encrypted E-mail service that does not have access to your stuff (even in the case of a hack).
2) Encrypt the keys themselves with a good password.

The chances of your email being the target of a hack and the chances of them breaking through both encryption (assuming that good passwords were used) are very slim (near impossible). However, the general rule is to not store anything related to your Bitcoin wallet on any service connected to the internet.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 08:26:59 PM

Never. Store. Private . Keys. On. A . Connected . Device.

If you must, because you hate yourself secretly and don't like having nice things, encrypt the information. I am all for the power of encryption, but I'd rather enemy forces have absolutely none
of my information, rather than any of it, even encoded. Rather safe than sorry, imo.
Raimonn
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 09:16:08 PM

I don't see saving private keys on mail as too safe method i prefer offline methods. But if you have it on an encrypted file, and you have the mail protected with 2fa will not be easy to stolen your private key.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: