Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:37:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: wallet.dat password question  (Read 1280 times)
aarons6 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 26, 2016, 12:27:56 AM

i have my wallet encrypted on my pc..
i just changed this password.. i was wondering if i have to reback it up or if the backup i have, which is secure, is still ok with the old password.

achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2016, 12:30:20 AM

i just changed this password.. i was wondering if i have to reback it up or if the backup i have, which is secure, is still ok with the old password.
Your question is not clear.

If you backup your current wallet, then the backup would have the new password.

If you want to restore an old backup created before you changed the password, then it will use the old password.

aarons6 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 26, 2016, 12:40:57 AM

If you want to restore an old backup created before you changed the password, then it will use the old password.

i was just wondering if there was something in the system that would make my old backup not work if i changed the password.

achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2016, 01:26:05 AM

i was just wondering if there was something in the system that would make my old backup not work if i changed the password.
The old backup will still work, you will just need to use your old password and any addresses generated after changing your password will not be in your old backup.

glerant

Activity: 565
Merit: 316

View Profile
June 01, 2016, 02:49:34 PM

The old backup will still work, you will just need to use your old password and any addresses generated after changing your password will not be in your old backup.

Indeed. Encrypting or changing the password on the wallet.dat you are currently using will not be reflected on any copies you have lying around on cloud drives or other media.
You need to be a bit careful!
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 8441

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2016, 04:46:48 PM

In particular,  the wallet will generate new addresses after the password was changed that the old wallet won't know about. So your old backup will become increasingly invalid over time.
fbueller

Activity: 412
Merit: 275

View Profile
June 02, 2016, 02:47:26 PM

The password is purely for encryption purposes. If someone has an older wallet.dat and can guess the password they'll get the private keys. Sweep if you're not sure!

Bitwasp Developer.
twinkletoes007

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 02:44:20 AM

The password is purely for encryption purposes. If someone has an older wallet.dat and can guess the password they'll get the private keys. Sweep if you're not sure!

I learned the hard way. Sad
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2016, 11:38:16 AM

I learned the hard way. Sad

How so? Shocked

Got an old backup cracked or current ?

f___o

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 02:12:37 PM

In particular,  the wallet will generate new addresses after the password was changed that the old wallet won't know about. So your old backup will become increasingly invalid over time.

The wallet also re runs the benchmark to determine the number of SHA-512 rounds when setting a new password. On a more powerful system it will improve the defense against brute force attacks on the wallet file.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: