Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 02:38:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Android tablet? Possible to make offline paper wallet?  (Read 1290 times)
FandangledGizmo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1138
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 01:13:45 PM

If I bought a cheap android tablet is there software I could download.
Disconnect from internet.   
Generate a random bitcoin address where I can visually see the address and the private key.
Print out a few copies.
Smash Android tablet.

(I will just use the address for a savings account, it will be receiving bitcoins not sending them.)

Also can I write out the private key by hand instead of printing, is the same thing right? As long as no human error.

The private key is currently impossible to discern from an address right? So if I imported the address to an online wallet as a 'watch only' the account will be safe?

Thanks in advance, and thanks very much for the responses to the other noob questions I have posted thus far.

ironcross360

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Troll of the Fourth Reich.

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 01:49:39 PM

Put your android wallet onto your pc and make a paper wallet?

Why are you just staring at this? Just send it! 1MHZjADM41ttjbPUiTPYWGYGm45XLf8ZeS
FandangledGizmo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1138
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 03:08:45 PM

Thanks for the reply,

My understanding is that you can't make a completely secure paper wallet. If the PC which you used to generate it will be connected to the internet again after you've created it.

So as I understand it I can get a second PC/Netbook that will never touch the internet and get armoury onto that via USB and generate paper wallets that way.

But as android tablets are a lot cheaper than a second PC I was wondering if there was software that could do the same on Android, because afaik armoury doesn't work on android.

(I've tried creating a paper wallet on block chain but once I've gone offline and generated a new address I can never load the section that allows me to see or print the paper wallet without going back online.)
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 11:19:10 PM

But as android tablets are a lot cheaper than a second PC I was wondering if there was software that could do the same on Android, because afaik armoury doesn't work on android.

I was thinking the Blockchain for Android app would create a new address without being connected but apparently it will only use an address that it knows about that is already in the wallet.

With the browser you can be online and load BitAddress.org, then disconnect and/or put the device in Airplane mode.
Then click Generate New Address (for single wallet mode) or Generate (for Paper Wallet).   Then print.

For paranoid mode you can then "Factory Data Reset" to clear all data (cheaper than smashing your device :-) )

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

bits13coin

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 02:55:58 PM
Last edit: March 31, 2013, 02:37:58 AM by bits13coin

If I bought a cheap android tablet is there software I could download.
Disconnect from internet.  
Generate a random bitcoin address where I can visually see the address and the private key.
Print out a few copies.
Smash Android tablet.

(I will just use the address for a savings account, it will be receiving bitcoins not sending them.)

Also can I write out the private key by hand instead of printing, is the same thing right? As long as no human error.

The private key is currently impossible to discern from an address right? So if I imported the address to an online wallet as a 'watch only' the account will be safe?

Thanks in advance, and thanks very much for the responses to the other noob questions I have posted thus far.

Thats nice, having a cheap android tablet, its useful for you to communicate and hope the internet will works fine.
mhill12

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 04:43:35 PM

What you can do to make a fairly secure paper wallet on a PC:

1. Go to bitaddress.org
2. Right click and save the web page (as a .htm file).
This lets you generate a wallet offline, the wallet generation is done by your computer, not the website.
3. Save that webpage file to a USB.

4. Get a live boot disk/USB for your favorite flavor of Linux. (I use Linux Mint: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php)
5. Shut down computer, unplug ethernet. If a laptop, disable the internet after you reboot.
6. Boot to the live CD/USB. The operating system will be loaded in RAM, and it is effectively a "new" operating system.
7. Open that saved webpage on your USB jump drive.
8. Generate Wallet keys, save to that jump drive. Or physically write them down.

When you turn off the computer again, all the data from the live session will be destroyed leaving only the copy on the USB, or your hand written notes. If you print out the PDF later from a normal computer, you should be fine as long as you own the printer you use. Just don't keep the wallet keys stored on a computer connnected to the internet. A flash drive is secure if you do not keep it attached to the computer for more than a few minutes at a time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: