Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 03:05:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PPCoin rebranding proposal - pePPerCoin :)  (Read 929 times)
interlagos (OP)

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 01:31:41 PM

I like the idea of PPCoin's hybrid design, the innovation that comes with it and the way Sunny King provided support for the client and nicely scheduled updates. However I always felt that the name and the way people pronounce it (pee pee) isn't extremely marketable. Smiley

So the idea just crossed my mind to call it pePPerCoin! Smiley Or at least pronounce it that way...
Looking at the revival of interest for BBQCoin, it seems that eatable coin names might get popular! Smiley
What do you guys think?
Rick James

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 01:46:33 PM

u eat pp?  Huh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMAhCCZDwtU
Vitalicus

Activity: 467
Merit: 100

DIA | Data infrastructure for DeFi

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 04:56:39 PM

PPCoin (peer-to-peer coin) it's OK.
It's working ok, but it's time to do more infrastructure. Let's do it.

interlagos (OP)

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 05:53:53 PM

That was funny. Cheesy Thanks!

PPCoin (peer-to-peer coin) it's OK.
It's working ok, but it's time to do more infrastructure. Let's do it.

I understand. I didn't mean to insult PPCoin or anything, was just thinking that it's pretty much the only alive coin with the name that doesn't clearly speak for itself and you have to look it up to decipher.  With the names like Bitcoin, Namecoin, Litecoin heck even Terracoin and Novacoin you kinda get the idea the moment you look at it. Honestly I got a few funny looks talking to somebody about PPCoin. It's not much about how you write it, but rather how you pronounce it Smiley You know what I mean.

I also thought, that PPC could stand for Personal Privacy Coin or something like that Smiley
Sunny King
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2013, 06:46:06 PM

Several other people mentioned this before as well. At this point I think rebranding is more distraction than perceived benefit.

I think Vitalicus is right. The more important thing is to create a market for it. People would overcome the uncomfortable association with the name. See solidcoin was rebranded to microcash, but then what? The whole project collapsed. Each move has a cost associated with it I am acutely aware of it due to our limited resources. At this point I am focused to get the next big feature right, instead of messing around with distractions.

Also, I don't believe in coincidence. The name was chosen so maybe it was meant to be named as such. Who says a curious name wouldn't get people to look harder at it  Wink

dust

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2013, 07:01:39 PM

Naming is extremely important to an altcoin's success.  PPCoin is the most innovative altcoin since namecoin, and offers true potential benefits over Bitcoin, which cannot be said for any other altcoin, unless the minor/dubious benefit of shorter block times is counted.  I believe one of the main reasons PPCoin has failed to gain popularity is its name.

Litecoin was Fairbrix with a better name, a better launch, and better marketing.  No one uses Fairbrix now.

Another example is BBQCoin.  Based on its name, people know it is a joke and do not take it seriously.  If it was named "Fastcoin" or something instead it would probably have Terracoin levels of popularity.

Sunny King, I strongly recommend that you rename PPCoin and create a better website to market it, before it is too late.  The community should be able to come up with some good names.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
Sunny King
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2013, 07:31:26 PM

Naming is extremely important to an altcoin's success.  PPCoin is the most innovative altcoin since namecoin, and offers true potential benefits over Bitcoin, which cannot be said for any other altcoin, unless the minor/dubious benefit of shorter block times is counted.  I believe one of the main reasons PPCoin has failed to gain popularity is its name.

Litecoin was Fairbrix with a better name, a better launch, and better marketing.  No one uses Fairbrix now.

It's hard to say. I can agree that litecoin has good marketing and lots of people bought into the premise that the move of bitcoin into gpu then asic would give litecoin a future. Although looking at it, it's still not even 1% of bitcoin. And ppcoin wasn't doing too bad, it already reached parity with devcoin in terms of market cap.

The main reason I see why altcoins are lagging too much behind in market is that they don't have much more things to offer than bitcoin already does. With ripple on the scene things are certainly changing a bit, because ripple potentially has more things to offer.

ppcoin brought innovations to the table, but in order for market to accept it, it still needs to offer immediate benefits over bitcoin (not just some vague concerns that bitcoin could run into trouble 20 years later).

The main thing about a brand name is easy for people to remember. I think ppcoin passes this test. That's just my opinion. Like I said, dwelling on this issue is unwise given our resources. I cannot spend a couple months of work on a renaming project, at the same time potentially causing confusions down the road. So the decision has been made and let's give this topic a rest.
dreamwatcher
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2013, 08:53:53 PM

Hmm,

I do not think of it as "PP" coin.

I have been part of the PPC community virtually from the start and I always thought of it as PPC.

I think I have read all the "pee pee" jokes and a couple of times even had a chuckle  Cheesy

But I always have thought of it as "PPC". Sometimes the abbreviation is the norm.

For example: Do you think most people use the term "Limited Liability Company" or use "LLC", "Pepsi-Cola" or "Pepsi","United States Dollar" or " (US)Dollar" or "USD" , "United States of America" or "USA"?

Anyway, you can see my point.

It is a name that could be perceived in a funny way, but I am with Sunny on this one, no need to change it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: