Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:21:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll regarding rounding of Bitcoin amounts in clients  (Read 3634 times)
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 04:38:24 PM

The purpose of my post is getting opinions about rounding of Bitcoin amounts.

Most clients already cut of insignificant zeros at the end. So for example, 1.22000000 gets 1.22. Still, especially if you use currency conversion frequently, you'll have a lot of crude amounts (like 0.31745883 for a burger) in your wallet. In my opinion, this makes it hard to read, especially for non-technical people.

Bitcoin Wallet currently implements a labs feature that allows you to round to either 4, 6 or 8 digits after the comma (see Preferences -> Labs -> Precision of Bitcoin values). Note that when entering amounts yourself (such as when sending a payment) you still can use any precision you like. Also, the setting of course doesn't affect any internal calculations, so there is no "adding up of rounding errors" and stuff like that.

My questions go to all of you, not only Bitcoin Wallet users:

Would you use such a feature in your client?
Do you think it makes sense, also for non-technical people?
Do you find 0.1255 easier to read than 0.125501?
Should we kind of standardize the options (4, 6 and 8 digits) for all clients?
I deliberately left the option of 2 digits out, because we're way past the "0.01 is equivalent to a penny/cent" era. Do you miss it still?
Which option should be default?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 04:41:30 PM

I'd recommend displaying mBTC or even µBTC by default. Additionally group thousands/millions like this: 1.00000000 BTC = 1 000 000.00 µBTC

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 05:16:08 PM

I'd recommend displaying mBTC or even µBTC by default. Additionally group thousands/millions like this: 1.00000000 BTC = 1 000 000.00 µBTC

Ah, I forgot to mention. The "moving of the comma" topic is not the main topic of this poll.

Are groups of 1000 (as in 1 000 000) also used after the comma? I thought only before.
Scrat Acorns

Activity: 293
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 05:38:11 PM

Maybe it's just me but I don't like rounding. What I also don't like is unformatted floats.

IMHO:
1.00000000 -> 1.00
1.00001000 -> 1.00001

But then again I might be weird.

Edit: If it's an optional feature then I'm all for it.
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 05:46:38 PM

Maybe it's just me but I don't like rounding. What I also don't like is unformatted floats.

IMHO:
1.00000000 -> 1.00
1.00001000 -> 1.00001

What's an "unformatted float"? So you like the right side and dislike the left side?

And - more to this topic - you dislike 1.00001 -> 1.0000 (because of 4 digits of precision)?

Edit: If it's an optional feature then I'm all for it.

Sure, it will stay optional (8 digits of precision means no rounding at all).
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 08:30:11 PM

No.
E.g. my parents? yeah prolly.
No.
Wait some time, then ask people what do they use most.
matakaonew

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 08:41:19 PM

- yeah if it's good and more like floor() that round()
 -  a lot but if you have 0.109, you round it to 1.11. then something cost 1.11 and you can't buy it because you only have 0.109 and you don't know it and people will not understand.

- not personnaly
 - yeah, but with the floor function
I deliberately left the option of 2 digits out, because we're way past the "0.01 is equivalent to a penny/cent" era. Do you miss it still?
 - no it should in fact be set to worth 0.1 cent at all time and folow mtgox
Which option should be default?
- having a floor function witch floor to the 0.1 cent depending on the value of BTC

sry for english!
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2013, 08:53:45 PM
Last edit: March 03, 2013, 09:36:49 PM by jim618

I think there are a few apps and websites that use the 'satoshi digits' to indicate the roll of the dice etc so you will always need the option to show all 8 digits.

I think most of the time people read the first 3 or 4 digits and then the other digits hardly even register in their visual cortex. Maybe we could have the first few digits in regular sized font and then the rest in a smaller font, like this:

big = 10pt, small = 7pt.
The cutoff for big-small would have to be an option.
That way there would not actually be any rounding, but you'd only notice the significant digits.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2013, 09:20:59 PM
Last edit: March 03, 2013, 09:37:38 PM by jim618

Here is a quick mock of what those "big-small" BTC amounts look like:

Current version on the left, big-small on the right. (big:small::10:7)

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
Zeilap

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 09:21:35 PM

I think there are a few apps and website that use the 'satoshi digits' to indicate the roll of the dice etc so you will always need the option to show all 8 digits.

I think most of the time people read the first 3 or 4 digits and then the other digits hardly even register in their visual cortex. Maybe we could have the first few digits in regular sized font and then the rest in a smaller font, like this:

big = 10pt, small = 7pt.
The cutoff for big/small would have to be an option.
That way there would not actually be any rounding, but you'd only notice the significant digits.

I think this is what the blockchain.info phone app does. I liked the idea when I saw it, but it looked kind of weird to me. In a similar vein to changing font size, changing the colour saturation might also work, e.g.

or both combined (now my favourite after clicking preview)?

Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 09:36:06 PM

I think there are a few apps and website that use the 'satoshi digits' to indicate the roll of the dice etc so you will always need the option to show all 8 digits.

big = 10pt, small = 7pt.
The cutoff for big/small would have to be an option.

I think this is what the blockchain.info phone app does. I liked the idea when I saw it, but it looked kind of weird to me. In a similar vein to changing font size, changing the colour saturation might also work, e.g.

or both combined (now my favourite after clicking preview)?

Thanks for the suggestions. Bitcoin Wallet already has a highlight exactly like this: 0.12345678, the blockchain.info app just forked from Bitcoin Wallet...

The interesting info is that people seem to prefer floor to round, I would have never expected this. Any opinions towards round?
jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2013, 09:40:22 PM

I think floor is superior to round as you always want to know 'Do I have enough money ?"

If you show amount = floor(total) then you have at least that amount to spend, whereas with round you aren't sure if you can afford the amount shown.

Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 09:48:40 PM

I think floor is superior to round as you always want to know 'Do I have enough money ?"

If you show amount = floor(total) then you have at least that amount to spend, whereas with round you aren't sure if you can afford the amount shown.

Ok, for the wallet balance this seems reasonable. Does the same logic apply to payments sent and payments received (transactions list)?
jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2013, 10:14:10 PM

No I don't think so.

For the currency conversions in MultiBit I use round-even when displaying the equivalent currency amount.

If I was going to round the BTC I'd probably use round-even too. If it is 1.99999999 you'd want to show it as "2.00000" say rather than "1.99999".

It means if you add up the rounded amounts you won't get the total balance but rounding is lossy so you cannot expect it to be the same.

nwbitcoin

Activity: 294

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2013, 10:28:51 PM

This is going to be a huge problem for mainstream uptake of bitcoin.

The way that bitcoin is deflating against fiat currencies means that very soon a single BTC is going to be useless for day to day use.  This means that there are going to be a lot of zeros and points in funny places if we carry on with the current system.

Maybe we need to start looking at this from the other side of the decimal point.

Maybe its time to consider that the unit of interest to the public should be the Satoshi.

A Big Mac would cost 0.12345678 bitcoins, but that too complex.  Its still too big, and with the public being used to 5 numbers as a maximum while out shopping, it would make sense to carry on the tradition.

What if it cost 12345678 Satoshi and forget the decimal?

From a commercial angle, why not call it 12.34 Mega Satoshis.  As inflation kicks in and a Big Mac costs 0.00123456, this will become 123 000 Satoshi but that could be in time for the mainstream takeup.

I know that on face value, this looks to be going against the grain, but in the grand scheme of things, the public needs as little difference to their fiat currency as possible. Having a figure which is a fraction of a fraction is really hard work to compare with a positive number in the 10s or hundreds.

From the wallet perspective, it should make no difference, its just how its presented.

Would love some feedback on this idea!
Smiley

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
solomon

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 12:32:35 AM

words

This dawned on me a few weeks ago, and i agree. It's both less practical and makes the transition much harder for those new to bitcoin when things are being bought and sold for 0.00xxxxxx.
I think  it would aid bitcoin to have figures in the range of other currencies that people are used to. It's quite alien to most people exchanging decimal amounts of anything. I think it will be more of a hurdle psycologically for newcomers to trade in what they consider a decent amount in fiat and 'only' receive a few decimals.

I think the easiest way is to normalise the use of mBTC in stores and exchanges, although it may cause some confusion, i'm not sure. Maybe Sato's is better

bitcoin price ticker | bits.so
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 01:31:13 AM

The way that bitcoin is deflating against fiat currencies means that very soon a single BTC is going to be useless for day to day use.  This means that there are going to be a lot of zeros and points in funny places if we carry on with the current system.

Maybe we need to start looking at this from the other side of the decimal point.

Maybe its time to consider that the unit of interest to the public should be the Satoshi.

A Big Mac would cost 0.12345678 bitcoins, but that too complex.  Its still too big, and with the public being used to 5 numbers as a maximum while out shopping, it would make sense to carry on the tradition.

From a commercial angle, why not call it 12.34 Mega Satoshis.  As inflation kicks in and a Big Mac costs 0.00123456, this will become 123 000 Satoshi but that could be in time for the mainstream takeup.

I know that on face value, this looks to be going against the grain, but in the grand scheme of things, the public needs as little difference to their fiat currency as possible. Having a figure which is a fraction of a fraction is really hard work to compare with a positive number in the 10s or hundreds.

From the wallet perspective, it should make no difference, its just how its presented.

Smiley
A satoshi won't be the smallest for long. We should use the nBTC (nanobitcoin) as the base unit, so that we can maintain the current BTC unit as simply bitcoin and go down from there.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 04:15:24 AM

Smiley

nwbitcoin, +1 for thinking through detail that most people just ignore.

For a while now I have been thinking that the twin Bitcoin "features" of many decimal places and serious deflation will be a real road-block to widespread casual adoption. People need to be able to quickly compare and absorb prices. How to do it?

The answer is by using existing fiat values. So, what is needed is a new type of "virtual fiat" wallet, call it the VF-Wallet and similarly for clients, a VF-Client.

What these do is allow users to select from a multi-choice the fiat they are used to, then it displays all the price values in fiat. However, no real fiat is involved. The actual transaction takes place entirely in Bitcoin with an fx rate determined by a weighted average of the main Bitcoin exchanges last execution price.

Merchants making many transactions would average out on the fx rate they receive.

nwbitcoin

Activity: 294

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 09:14:44 AM

Smiley

For a while now I have been thinking that the twin Bitcoin "features" of many decimal places and serious deflation will be a real road-block to widespread casual adoption. People need to be able to quickly compare and absorb prices. How to do it?

The answer is by using existing fiat values. So, what is needed is a new type of "virtual fiat" wallet, call it the VF-Wallet and similarly for clients, a VF-Client.

What these do is allow users to select from a multi-choice the fiat they are used to, then it displays all the price values in fiat. However, no real fiat is involved. The actual transaction takes place entirely in Bitcoin with an fx rate determined by a weighted average of the main Bitcoin exchanges last execution price.

Merchants making many transactions would average out on the fx rate they receive.

Yes, that is the answer!

If everyone is carrying a simple exchange in their pockets, then while their minds are spending Dollars, Pounds, Yen or Euros, they are really spending bitcoins where that is the cheapest option. 
If you think of it like the way the telephone network was derestricted, and people could choose to use voip or traditional pbx.  The only thing they actually cared about was talking to Aunt Bessie for the least cost.  That is what this wallet would allow.

Use bitcoins to make stuff cheaper by using a virtual fiat wallet!

You want mainstream take up?  This might be how we are going to convince people to try it out!

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 09:25:37 AM
Last edit: March 06, 2013, 09:41:20 AM by solex

Smiley

Yes, that is the answer!

If everyone is carrying a simple exchange in their pockets, then while their minds are spending Dollars, Pounds, Yen or Euros, they are really spending bitcoins where that is the cheapest option.  
If you think of it like the way the telephone network was derestricted, and people could choose to use voip or traditional pbx.  The only thing they actually cared about was talking to Aunt Bessie for the least cost.  That is what this wallet would allow.

Use bitcoins to make stuff cheaper by using a virtual fiat wallet!

You want mainstream take up?  This might be how we are going to convince people to try it out!

Agreed!  This could be the Bitcoin fiat-killer app which takes the mainstream by storm. I was going to do a fancy new post announcing the VF-Wallet/Client idea, with a bit of background and collaborative input.  Been distracted lately instead hammering on about two much more pressing issues which need to be addressed first: the 1Mb max block size, and the lack of an ISO code for Bitcoin. No good taking it mainstream when it is simply not up to the job.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: